Felix Magath

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Felix Magath

One of the best managers in the game for few season now. I reckon he deserves a thread.

felixmagath.jpg

Won the Bundesliga title with Wolfsburg last season and is currently coaching Schalke.
Upon his arrival at Gelsenkirchen he got the squad in ruins. 6 months later he is only 1 point behind league leaders Leverkusen while spending less than 6 million euros in the summer.
Special thing about him is that he also acts as a sporting director, same as he did in Wolfsburg where he had a nose for bringing quality players at discount price, like Dzeko or Grafite.

Beast

The Observer
He was wrongfully dismissed (more or less ) from B Munich .. but it's the German league a lot can happen in part II of the league we all remember Hoff. last season
however Heyenks deserve a thread as well Leverkusen are the the phenomena of the Bundesliga this season

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
What amazes me is the circumstances that he left Wolfsburg... he had the best strike force/ a really good midfield/ a good defence and an amazing owner but he chose to leave that for Schalke.

Amazing.

Beast

The Observer
It's a German thing , the managers musical chairs is very common
but you have to consider that Schalke is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wolfsburg

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
I guess thats what Magath drove away from Wolfsburg. It must be some sort of lifework that he is seeking, something like Ferguson or Wenger have, and that he couldnt pull off in Wolfsburg. Schalke instead is a sleeping giant ...

Too sad that he actually was starting to do it in Munich a few years ago. Kicking him out was the worst decision the Bayern management ever took ... esp. considering that they first got the finished Hitzfeld as short-term replacement who bombed the team into the tactical stone age, following that up with Klinsman who just isnt a coach at all.

Whatever. One thing is for certain: Magath is the most astonishing coach there is in germany, fairly underestimated in europe b/c he wasnt able to get any attention so far in the euro cups. He is able to bring every of his players to the absolute max, both mentally and especially physically. ANd he is further able to get the most synergy out of every team, adjusting the tactics to his players abilities i.e. strength and weaknesses. If he was still in Wolfsburg, they would have easily made the next round in the CL. Veh (his successor) just strayed away from the deep long ball game that makes the most out of Misimovics and Dzekos (i.e. their best two players) strengths. Thats how they failed.

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
I love your analysis on the German game, el tren.

This might steer the topic slightly but whats your take on Omer Toprak?

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Thx :)

On Toprak: he was the best central defender of germanys 2nd league last season. Very unfortunatly for him he had a near fatal accident on a kart track (where you drive go karts ... i hope that is the right english term ;)) where he took a serious burning injury. He just pretty much recovered from it and should be joining Freiburgs team in the 2nd part of their BL season, where he is supposed to be a starter.

Lets hope he can fully get back to his game and didnt lose too much of his astonishing pace. I read he had to undertake surgery on his ankles (skin transplantation) and its mobility might be restricted now. Lets hope not.

Besides that he had a brilliant awareness and positioning for his age (he is 20 now) and was part of the U19 EC winning team.

On a sidenote: I bought him for my fantasy football team months ago for a bargain price. And im hoping he turns out to be a big hit ;)

Home of Barca Fans