Ronaldo

Co0ter

I dont agree with u. He was indeed a complete striker but not footballer. A complete footballer is someone who can do everything and doesnt get tired. I dont remember Ronaldo defending much, maybe that wasnt his role in the pitch but still I didnt see him pressuring the opposition as Eto'o does. Ronaldos movement off the ball wasnt great (like Xavi), His headers werent spectacular (like Cristiano) but still he always found a way to the net because he's a complete striker not footballer. His stamina wasnt great (like Alves), his shot power was that great (like Ibra) but his shot was accurate as hell and again thats why he's a complete striker not footballer. Oh and he couldnt score with his hand like Messi or Henry :lol:

A complete footballer is a player who can do everything, a complete striker is a player who finds a way to the net no matter what, maybe with his talent or maybe with replacing his weaknesses with some of his raw strength

I cant recall anyone

His finishing with his head was still good, it didn't look as flashy as Cristiano makes it look at times but thats b/c he usually didn't have to. He was too busy scoring goals with every other part of his body too, including his chest. His movement off the ball was spectacular, are you insane? How do you think he set himself up for so many breakaways where he'd smoke the defense off the line, fake out the goalie then score? His movement off the ball, positioning and vision were one of the biggest aspects of his game. His stamina was also great, in his prime he was rarely subbed and came back to the midfield to get the ball all the time....And what is wrong with his shot power? Have you seen some of his goals? He had a very powerful shot, yet instead of blasting it over the bar 4/5 times he prefered to just hit it hard enough and into corners....and score...way more...And defending?! What striker honestly runs back all the time to defend? A striker does it sometimes, but thats really far from his role, they shouldn't really have to. If they lose the ball they should fight to get it back, that should be their role defensively, which Ronaldo did...not often, but maybe that's b/c he rarely lost the ball.

I don't know how old you are, but it doesn't seem like you watched him play much, even regardless of your age.

Last edited:

Moe

powered by;
His finishing with his head was still good, it didn't look as flashy as Cristiano makes it look at times but thats b/c he usually didn't have to. He was too busy scoring goals with every other part of his body too, including his chest. His movement off the ball was spectacular, are you insane? How do you think he set himself up for so many breakaways where he'd smoke the defense off the line, fake out the goalie then score? His movement off the ball, positioning and vision were one of the biggest aspects of his game. His stamina was also great, in his prime he was rarely subbed and came back to the midfield to get the ball all the time....And what is wrong with his shot power? Have you seen some of his goals? He had a very powerful shot, yet instead of blasting it over the bar 4/5 times he prefered to just hit it hard enough and into corners....and score...way more...And defending?! What striker honestly runs back all the time to defend? A striker does it sometimes, but thats really far from his role, they shouldn't really have to. If they lose the ball they should fight to get it back, that should be their role defensively, which Ronaldo did...not often, but maybe that's b/c he rarely lost the ball.

I don't know how old you are, but it doesn't seem like you watched him play much, even regardless of your age.

His movement off the ball wasnt great thats why many of his goals were spectacular by dribbling a lot of defenders then the goalkeeper or by shooting it out side the 18 yard box. He wasnt the type of striker who would be on the right place at the right time always. Defending? forget about it, I didnt even say it was one of his roles but every striker should pressure the opposition, something Ronaldo lacked. Also Ronaldo used to lose many physical battles in the field. Just to clear something for you because you seem to misunderstand everything Im saying, when I said his shot power wasnt great or that his headers werent great it doesnt mean that they where below-par but they could definitely get better. You also seem to be lost between two concepts, a complete player could be (a) complete individually (like Cristiano Ronaldo) who'd look perfect with his skills, physical ability, shot technique..etc but they often lack stamina, useless without the ball at their feet, no confidence at times..etc (look at Quaresma) you would find them playing more like freestyle football or street football than professional football and there is (b) complete team player who'd be able to do it all at once, help his team offensively and defensively, gaining possession and creating space, fighting spirit, always confident, motivates his teammates..etc IF there would be any complete player he's probably be a box-to-box midfielder.

Oh believe me Ive watched Ronaldo a lot and he is one of my all time favorites, he was the main reason I started playing and watching football. Have you watched in a real game (not a youtube video)?

Co0ter

Ya I began watching him more often than not with my father back when he was on Barcelona. All the channels we currently have now weren't available then but we'd watch when the games were available. My uncle used to have a buddy who'd get us taped games and spread the wealth. I've followed him since 94 World Cup, even got the 94' celebration poster with him in an italian jersey with the rest of the team, 17-18 then?

I think Ronaldo had a fighting spirit. Venturing to the midfield to get the ball isn't something most strikers do(which he did all the time); we see it more so than usuall at Barca b/c we play with 3 up front so they kind of have to. He didn't lose the ball often, and by that I mean he lost it much less often than the majority. Honestly, most of the time he got the ball he got hit instantly...we think its bad with Messi, he had it even worse. Ronaldo had a commanding presence, whenever he touched the ball the other team shifted towards him. It's much like the respect Cristiano and Messi have. He wasn't a striker to run in circles after defenders like Tevez or Eto'o, which although is appreciated, I'd be happy with a striker that sat back and just cut off short passing lanes with positioning. Always made sense to me, I played that way also as a striker. Maybe thats why he had the energy to smoke multiple defenders all the time? ;)

We can agree to disagree, I'm fine with that. But I ask you this; I think if you put Ronaldo as a mid-fielder, he'd have the speed, ability, body and vision to be a creative/attacking midfielder, one with a large work load. I think any decent soccer player with a decent build can become a defender with practice and discipline. However, no matter how good some strikers have been or even other midfielders, if you put them as a striker they'd never been able to do what he did, no matter how good they were individually. That's why I think he's great. He COULD adapt his skill to other positions if he pleased, but other's can't replicate him.

Moe