Andres Iniesta

Nothanks

he looks in top shape, we should enjoy what he offers he went out, what the 60-65th minute? that's fine.
it was an important game to the players and im sure he would of rather played than sit out the match.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Had a great pass to Suarez, but something I keep noticing more lately is that he plays more and more safe passes than he ever did, not advancing the ball forward when it need to be, or try to play a risky pass when he got the opportunity to do so. Puts the emphasis on playmaking even more on Messi.

Which is why I don't think he's been as great as many others here believe, but I acknowledge I might be in a minority. Just my observations. He's still fantastic in keeping possession and recycling possession, but he seem to have lost a significant part of his edge which we need more of, to able to take the burden off Messi if we are to win the CL.

It reflects in his stats too it seems..

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m..._forward_passes/key_passes/chances_created#90

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
Isn't that simply the result of having a less offensive formation?

Same way we will probably net fewer goals over the whole season compared to MSN seasons?

FinBarcelonafan

Had a great pass to Suarez, but something I keep noticing more lately is that he plays more and more safe passes than he ever did, not advancing the ball forward when it need to be, or try to play a risky pass when he got the opportunity to do so. Puts the emphasis on playmaking even more on Messi.

Which is why I don't think he's been as great as many others here believe, but I acknowledge I might be in a minority. Just my observations. He's still fantastic in keeping possession and recycling possession, but he seem to have lost a significant part of his edge which we need more of, to able to take the burden off Messi if we are to win the CL.

It reflects in his stats too it seems..

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m..._forward_passes/key_passes/chances_created#90

We played as a team differently with Neymar in this team. I don't think it's totally comparable to what it is now. We just don't play as offensively and Valverde puts defense first.

So I don't think the stats are exactly comparable. Team is playing different football, better team game, but we do lose some of that offense for better stability.(Less risks as well)

How does everyone else's stats look? If you compare Messi/Suarez etc. to earlier season's. Are they worse as well or same/better?

Last edited:

DonAK

Isn't that simply the result of having a less offensive formation?

Same way we will probably net fewer goals over the whole season compared to MSN seasons?

We played as a team differently with Neymar in this team. I don't think it's totally comparable to what it is now. We just don't play as offensively and Valverde puts defense first.

So I don't think the stats are exactly comparable. Team is playing different football, better team game, but we do lose some of that offense for better stability.(Less risks as well)

That could be it too. We averaged approx. 2.9 goals in the league last season and avg. 2.7 goals right now. We're having more stability, but I wonder if we'll need more attacking firepower in the CL. I don't think Messi creating and getting pushed deeper and Suarez being the only finisher will be enough. Almost every team that have won in the last 8 years have had at least three creative/goalscoring forces.

FinBarcelonafan

That could be it too. We averaged approx. 2.9 goals in the league last season and avg. 2.7 goals right now. We're having more stability, but I wonder if we'll need more attacking firepower in the CL. I don't think Messi creating and getting pushed deeper and Suarez being the only finisher will be enough. Almost every team that have won in the last 8 years have had at least three creative/goalscoring forces.

That's my worry as well, but good defense could take us to Final. Without our current changes, I don't think we could even think about making that far(If we couldn't without Neymar). If we lose some tie, It will be close. We are not going to lose games 3-0 and 4-0 away, that's the good thing. If we need more firepower we bring Paulinho/Dembele from the bench.

I have my worries vs great defenses as well. I'm not sure If Messi is enough. If they shutdown Suarez and Messi, we are on pretty thin ice.

At least Atletico is out of CL this season, so we don't have to worry about them shutting us down. Who could be able to shut us down? Juventus? ManU? I don't see Bayern/Real/City shutting us down completely.

henias

I feel he looks completely dead tired, looks a little out of focus, really should get more rest. Valverde has this policy: "if the team aint leading, you aint getting no rest", which is physically and mentally taxing on him.

I feel he should come on as a sub after playing full 90 for the past few games, or should have been subbed during the Espanyol game considering the weather condition was terrible.

EV just wants to win but he neglected on how fragile Iniesta is. I expect him to rest fully the next few matches.

Stoichkov1

Atletico was 1 minute and a penalty shoot-out away from winning 2 CL in 3 years and they knocked out teams like Barca and Bayern in the last years.

DonAK

Atletico was 1 minute and a penalty shoot-out away from winning 2 CL in 3 years and they knocked out teams like Barca and Bayern in the last years.

Yes, and it's also why I said almost.

Atletico's defensive system those years were at historic levels. Barca are not that and will never play like that either. Apples and oranges.

Stoichkov1

Yes, and it's also why I said almost.

Atletico's defensive system those years were at historic levels. Barca are not that and will never play like that either. Apples and oranges.

We don't play like that but our defensive record is definitely not worse.

After 22 matches atletico conceded 14 goals in the league in 2014 and 10 in 2016 and 3 goals in the group stage in CL both in 2014 and 2016. After 22 matches we conceded 11 goals in the league and 1 goal in the group stage.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
I do not have stats but I think Iniesta is not playing more safe than usual. I recall plenty of forward passes in every game. Mostly through balls on the wing to Alba or short passes to Suarez. Also his trademark lob over the last line of defense here and there.
For me he is more of a ball carrier anyway. Bringing the ball up the pitch with dribbling through close spaces and giving the whole team the opportunity to advance. Apart from that he tries quick passes to move the ball around.

What I really miss is more of La Croqueta. His signature move, probably my favorite move and the one I personally use the most too.
Looking at his whole season so far he is playing amazing (as always).

Home of Barca Fans