Andres Iniesta

JamDav1982

four words for you: mes que un club. if that motto means anything, we should not be discarding hugely influential and successful players due to fiscal concerns. there are several business-oriented clubs that are happy doing that, but not us (generally).

besides: there are pragmatic reasons why keeping players like Iniesta/Xavi around is useful. do not underestimate the value and benefits accruing from younger players coming up through the ranks, like Carles Alena, training and receiving advice from players they have literally grown up admiring. Puyol for example left too soon (due to injury of course) and we still have not replaced his natural, fiery leadership, nor the disciplining influence he brought to the team.

'Mes que in club' doesn't meant keeping on legendry players on contracts they are not justifying on the pitch.

Puyol didn't leave to soon. He took the correct decision to leave rather than take wages he couldn't justify and regardless Masch is one of the best leaders in world football.

Totally disagree on it being the correct road to go down if makes team worse.

BBZ8800

If it is about sums like a couple of Millions for 2 years I do not care at all. I am not talking about amounts of money that would seriously hurt the club.

Iniesta's new deal will be at least 10M euros net.
That means that Barca has to pay 10M to Iniesta and 10M in taxes.

So, 2 new years for current Iniesta on slightly improved deal (he is at around 8M net currently) will mean that Barca will need to spend 40M Euros for him for 2 years.
And even in this season, he was a non factor in the last few Months.

40M is a transfer fee of a one new player like Semedo/Seri/Bellerin.

JamDav1982

Iniesta's new deal will be at least 10M euros net.
That means that Barca has to pay 10M to Iniesta and 10M in taxes.

So, 2 new years for current Iniesta on slightly improved deal (he is at around 8M net currently) will mean that Barca will need to spend 40M Euros for him.
And even in this season, he was a non factor in the last few Months.

40M is a transfer fee of a one new player like Semedo/Seri/Bellerin.

No it doesn't.

There is no chance whatsoever Barca would be paying out 20m a year for Iniesta.

Don't know why you keep quoting Barca wages as after tax when it isn't the case bar seemingly Messi.

If it is 10m it will be 10m before tax.

Giginho75

Totally disagree with that.

Legend or not it doesn't make any difference. If Iniesta for example Is getting paid too much or is on high wages that can be better used elsewhere then it is perfectly fine to want that money to be used in a way that helps team more.

Cant think of anything worse for the team than overpaying legendary players as feel they have earned it due to the past and not the present.

this opinion can be right if iniesta isn't more able or important for the team...
but don andres is always a great player and isn't already over...
furthermore he has a contract (i don't know how long yet)...
i think his gain sure is not a problem for barca.

JamDav1982

this opinion can be right if iniesta isn't more able or important for the team...
but don andres is always a great player and isn't already over...
furthermore he has a contract (i don't know how long yet)...
i think his gain sure is not a problemhis gain.

Don't agree with that either. He is not always a great player these days. For me not worth a starting place and nowhere near one of best in world.

BarcaOG

Banned
'Mes que in club' doesn't meant keeping on legendry players on contracts they are not justifying on the pitch.

Puyol didn't leave to soon. He took the correct decision to leave rather than take wages he couldn't justify and regardless Masch is one of the best leaders in world football.

Totally disagree on it being the correct road to go down if makes team worse.

you make it sound like iniesta is missing a leg. he can still contribute, in a reduced role. do you deny this?

Puyol left because of his injuries. He said in an interview soon after that his knee hurt so much he couldn't even go up the stairs. he could not play professionally anymore.

neither am i saying that all our veterans should be kept. i am thinking of the elite old guard, once the time come for their roles in the team to change from starters to support: xavi when he was here, iniesta now, busi in a couple of years, and messi as well.

JamDav1982

you make it sound like iniesta is missing a leg. he can still contribute, in a reduced role. do you deny this?

Puyol left because of his injuries. He said in an interview soon after that his knee hurt so much he couldn't even go up the stairs. he could not play professionally anymore.

neither am i saying that all our veterans should be kept. i am thinking of the elite of guard, once the time come for their roles in the team to change from starters to support: xavi when he was here, iniesta now, busi in a couple of years, and messi as well.

Didn't even mention Iniesta in the post you quoted.

The point is about more than him and legend or not players should not be getting paid too much based on past glories. It is not good for the club or the team on the pitch.

I know why Puyol left and he decided to leave and not take wages he felt he couldn't justify.

None of those players should be on huge contracts as support players if want strongest team on park. Messi included. Potentially you are going down the road of having 3/4 legendary players on massive contracts they cant justify on the park. That would kill the team.

BBZ8800

No it doesn't.

There is no chance whatsoever Barca would be paying out 20m a year for Iniesta.

Don't know why you keep quoting Barca wages as after tax when it isn't the case bar seemingly Messi.

If it is 10m it will be 10m before tax.

If Iniesta's NET wage is 8M, then Barca is surely paying 16M.

Check here:
http://www.tsmplug.com/richlist/footballers-salaries-after-tax/

"In Spain the top tax rate is 52% and that was the reason why Ronaldo wanted a new contract with Real Madrid last season, now he is on weekly salary of £288,000-after tax which means Real Madrid have to pay around £600,000-a-week to have Ronaldo in their squad."

Or, unless if you think that Iniesta's total salary is 8M, and that Iniesta actually plays for peanuts of 4M per year after taxes.
If Iniesta is getting 4M, Barca is paying 8M in total (Iniesta+taxes on Iniesta's wage).
If Iniesta is getting 8M, Barca is paying 16M in total.

Choose a net figure and just double it.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2425505/How-worlds-best-footballers-taxed-salaries.html

"Reports suggest Ronaldo is on £280,000-a-week - AFTER tax, meaning his gross salary is upwards of £600,000-a-week."

JamDav1982

If Iniesta's NET wage is 8M, then Barca is surely paying 16M.

Check here:
http://www.tsmplug.com/richlist/footballers-salaries-after-tax/

"In Spain the top tax rate is 52% and that was the reason why Ronaldo wanted a new contract with Real Madrid last season, now he is on weekly salary of £288,000-after tax which means Real Madrid have to pay around £600,000-a-week to have Ronaldo in their squad."

Or, unless if you think that Iniesta's total salary is 8M, and that Iniesta actually plays for peanuts of 4M per year after taxes.
If Iniesta is getting 4M, Barca is paying 8M in total (Iniesta+taxes on Iniesta's wage).
If Iniesta is getting 8M, Barca is paying 16M in total.

Choose a net figure and just double it.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2425505/How-worlds-best-footballers-taxed-salaries.html

"Reports suggest Ronaldo is on £280,000-a-week - AFTER tax, meaning his gross salary is upwards of £600,000-a-week."

That first link doesn't prove anything and Messi/Ronaldo deals are often quoted as after tax.

There is no chance at all Iniesta will get offered 10m net, it would be 10m before tax.

The way you double all the Barca wages yesterday is incorrect.

Giginho75

Don't agree with that either. He is not always a great player these days. For me not worth a starting place and nowhere near one of best in world.

not always, excuse me, but for two years yet if valverde will manage him with less matches and more bench...

we are talking of iniesta, not a normal player...
what should barca do? cutting his gain?

JamDav1982

not always, excuse me, but for two years yet if valverde will manage him with less matches and more bench...

we are talking of iniesta, not a normal player...
what should barca do? cutting his gain?

That version of Iniesta is a squad player and could well still be useful.

What Barca should do is not offer him a huge contract now he has declined.

serghei

I can understand extending the contracts and not lowering the salary. But increasing the salary as the player gets older and is less effective is crazy.

Home of Barca Fans