Andres Iniesta

Stric

+1 on that... even when he's "off", Iniesta still seems to be miles ahead of the rest of the "off" team.

F

Flavia

Iniesta confident that the team can pull through

Jordi Clos

02/27/2013 13:47

The midfielder has admitted that the squad are frustrated by last night’s cup exit, but is still optimistic about their chances of making amends in La Liga and the Champions League

2013-02-27_ENTRENO_54.v1361969315.JPG

After crashing out of the Copa del Rey against Real Madrid, one of the team captains, Andrés Iniesta, faced the press today to explain what the team has made of it all. He was sincere and self-critical, but most importantly, he remains optimistic. “It was a very tough defeat because we were playing at home” he lamented. “They beat us and we’re frustrated not to have won and to be missing out on the final. These things need to serve for there be a reaction and for us to learn that nothing is easy and that we can lose”.

Learning from mistakes

Iniesta was willing to accept that “Madrid are fair finalists” while Barça “lacked finesse and freshness … In two isolated games against top class teams, the team has not played well as a unit. When the team performs it’s because things are generally working. When certain things go wrong, we suffer … It’s not that the team has let go or doesn’t want to win. In some situations the opposition simply have you beat. But there are still some big games left and we’re optimistic about them”.

Having had some time to digest last night’s result, Iniesta is convinced that the FCB squad needs to have a long, hard look at what went wrong in the defeats to Madrid and Milan. “We have to think about what we didn’t do right and what we have to improve” he said. “We have to regain that sensation of being a compact and infallible team. And I’m convinced that we can get that mood back”.

Thoughts for Vilanova

Andrés Iniesta also mentioned the absence of team manager Tito Vilanova, a man the players are all very much missing at the moment. “It’s only logical. It isn’t easy without the figure of a head coach. It’s been a long time and it’s just one of the many difficulties we have had to deal with this season. But we shouldn’t say he has to come back right now just because we lost yesterday. His health is what matters most and we trust that he’ll be back soon”.

------------------------------------------------------------

Iniesta’s top ten comments

www.fcbarcelona.com

02/27/2013 13:16

We look back at the midfielder’s press conference and pick out his ten best comments

1. “Our mentality won’t change because of what happened last night”.

2. “In two isolated games against top class teams, the team has not played well as a unit. When the team performs it’s because things are generally working. When certain things go wrong, we suffer”.

3. “It’s not that the team has let go or doesn’t want to win. In some situations the opposition simply have you beat. But there are still some big games left and we’re optimistic about them”.

4. “It’s only normal for there to be doubts. That’s all part of what this is about. But the fans are always there for us when we need them”.

5. “The game on the 12th is like a final. We have to go and play like our lives depend on it”.

6. “The Milan game is a difficult one, the result is very much against us, but right now I’d still put my hand on the fire and say we’ll win”.

7. “It’s a question of pride, need and reality. We are capable of turning the game around”.

8. “We have to regain that sensation of being a compact and infallible team”.

9. “It isn’t easy without the figure of a head coach. It’s been a long time and it’s just one of the many difficulties we have had to deal with this season. But we shouldn’t say he has to come back right now just because we lost yesterday. His health is what matters most and we trust that he’ll be back soon”.

10. "My duty is to play as well as I can, whatever position they put me in".

barcanuck

Andrés Iniesta also mentioned the absence of team manager Tito Vilanova, a man the players are all very much missing at the moment. “It’s only logical. It isn’t easy without the figure of a head coach. It’s been a long time and it’s just one of the many difficulties we have had to deal with this season. But we shouldn’t say he has to come back right now just because we lost yesterday. His health is what matters most and we trust that he’ll be back soon”.

Iniesta stating what we're all thinking here. Basically saying no one takes Roura seriously.

ricknattery

the board should hire a COACH, not the assistant of an assistant. We are the only team in the world that plays without a coach for an extended period of time

Stric

Yes, but there's a difference between Tito and Roura. If Tito left after the season, Roura would never get the job.

I know that. And obviously I don't think Roura is equally as capable as Tito, but all these "after all, he's just an assistant!" statements against Roura are absurd, considering the fact that Tito was also an assistant only a while ago.

hellsangel1

Iniesta on his positioning:

"Everyone knows what I think, but I must perform at my best wherever I am put," he said. "The coach makes the decisions and there is no other explanation. I do not start debates. My natural position is an 'interior' [inside forward / creative midfielder], but what matters to me is that the team wins. That is my only concern in each game."

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I know that. And obviously I don't think Roura is equally as capable as Tito, but all these "after all, he's just an assistant!" statements against Roura are absurd, considering the fact that Tito was also an assistant only a while ago.

Tito has worked closely with Pep for years and has a lot of experience with the tactics and team talks whereas Roura's only coaching experience was in Japan and in Segunda B (and he even got fired from the segunda b job as his team got relegated). They both may have been assistant coaches but you can't deny that Tito is VASTLY more qualified than Roura. This does have some effect on the team.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Most assists this season (club+country, top 5 leagues): Mata 23 - Iniesta 19 - Hazard 16 - Ozil 15 - Ribery 15

Gotta hand it to Mata

Stric

Tito has worked closely with Pep for years and has a lot of experience with the tactics and team talks whereas Roura's only coaching experience was in Japan and in Segunda B (and he even got fired from the segunda b job as his team got relegated). They both may have been assistant coaches but you can't deny that Tito is VASTLY more qualified than Roura. This does have some effect on the team.

I never said Tito wasn't more qualified. In fact, I emphasized that in my post. I'm just annoyed at people using the "assistant" label to warrant their view of Roura as an idiot.

Kudos to Mata, definitely. Oustanding player. It must be a bit easier to provide assists when you actually have forwards to pass to, though.

Home of Barca Fans