Andres Iniesta

N

Noldorin

Iniesta's dribbling and close control is perfect for tight spaces and he has displayed this many times. He draws the defenders to the corner, beats them, and then plays a pass into the box for a player to either score or create a goal. Also, Messi's dribbling is more direct and running towards goal to either shoot or play a tricky pass while the defenders are focused on him. Iniesta however plays it more safe and indirect and runs around them into areas, plays a pass or two, and creates space for his teammates, and plays safer passes a lot. He's been great on the wing for both Spain and Barcelona, his connection with Alba is brilliant, and he is having the best season of his life right now in this new role. I'm not saying that it's a permanent switch from midfield to wing though. There are times when we need his roaming distribution skills in midfield so that we can keep possession and control rather than play it risky and direct. And besides his new role has really been a mix of the two.

This is a fair appraisal.

F

Flavia

barcastuff
Roura (assistant): "When he plays in midfield, Iniesta is fantastic. And when he plays on the wing, the same. There's not much difference."

J

jiopi

barcastuff
Roura (assistant): "When he plays in midfield, Iniesta is fantastic. And when he plays on the wing, the same. There's not much difference."
He, we or anyone else wouldn't have this talk if Iniesta played the same, and affected the game the same in the wing.

Indignado

He, we or anyone else wouldn't have this talk if Iniesta played the same, and affected the game the same in the wing.

He does play the same, but that's exactly the problem. If he's in midfield, he plays in midfield, and when he's on the wing, he plays in midfield as well, so we're left with a winger too less.

N

Noldorin

He does play the same, but that's exactly the problem. If he's in midfield, he plays in midfield, and when he's on the wing, he plays in midfield as well, so we're left with a winger too less.

"too less"? If you mean we're left without anyone really on the LW, then I agree. It makes the team play in an awkward manner, and doesn't utilise Iniesta's abilities to the full.

Jaguar

Flair Trait

I disagree a lot of his assists him been coming past players and passing in across the box to Messi, Villa and Xavi (against Espanyol), I would prefer him Midfield but as a winger he players really well, and his overlapping with Alba is fantastic.

Kerrybai

I disagree a lot of his assists him been coming past players and passing in across the box to Messi, Villa and Xavi (against Espanyol), I would prefer him Midfield but as a winger he players really well, and his overlapping with Alba is fantastic.

He's not disagreeing with you. He's saying that Iniesta plays just as well on the wing. His point is that as a team we are not as good because when he cuts into midfield we lose our width. He's not saying he doesn't play as a winger when he starts LW. The problem is he does both, which would be fine if someone went out wife when he cuts in but that's not always the case.

J

jiopi

Yeah I agree with that. He plays great from the wing, but not to it.

Indignado

"too less"? If you mean we're left without anyone really on the LW, then I agree. It makes the team play in an awkward manner, and doesn't utilise Iniesta's abilities to the full.

I meant to say 'too few', or whatever's grammatically correct :p I was trying to say exactly what you said, that we're left with nobody on the left wing really.

N

Noldorin

I meant to say 'too few', or whatever's grammatically correct :p I was trying to say exactly what you said, that we're left with nobody on the left wing really.

Ah yes. Glad we agree on that! In my view, it makes us not only less potent going forward, but easier to counter-attack against. I hope Vilanova wakes up and sees how much better Iniesta is in midfield.

Vapor

With Iniesta on the LW, I think what it comes down to is tactics. Certain teams it works well against and certain teams it just flat out does not. We can't say that it's a terrible situation, look at that killer game he had against Levante... 3 assists and a goal, absolutely KILLED it on the wing. He's had many a great game playing on that wing.

The thing is it doesn't work against everyone, and not against every team/defense/tactic. Sometimes his skill set is much more suited to bossing the midfield and playing ridiculous through balls to the strikers back @ CM, with Villa up front on the left playing that sexy interplay they do together.

I think it just comes down to right place at the right time. Honestly both are good options. Just because we have a couple not so great games with him at LW doesn't mean it is a total failure, I think we just have to know when to use that option and when to play him in midfield. Both positions have their pro's and con's, I can't really say that him on the left is significantly worse than him in midfield (IMO).

btw Well said Iniesta123, I agree.

Last edited:

oz187

I think the main reason we had a couple of weaker games was because we overused it. Iniesta on the wing presents a different challenge to someone like Villa on the wing. But when that became the obvious plan A, the opposition was able to prepare for it. If we mix up our tactics more, then that will make it harder for the opposition to prepare, which would make both options more effective. That, I think is partly why the last game was won so easily.

J

jiopi

Again brought to the wing, and Barca became worse in offence and in defense. His place is in midfield, period.

Home of Barca Fans