Andres Iniesta

PearLBLacK

Banned
The quality of all players, the quality of the bench (Spain's is ridiculous), the system they play, the understanding between all 11, the coaches, etc. all are factors as well. Factors that are rarely all found in one team. Hence why this Barca and Spain are winning all kinds of trophies and breaking all kinds of records.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
There is an enormous difference between a great team (as of recently, Germany, Italy, Netherlands), and a team with Xavi and Iniesta on it. Both Xavi and Iniesta are in the top five players in the world, and Xavi is probably both Spain and Barca's most important player (or at least was a few years back). He is the beating heart, the engine, the clockwork in both squads, consistently performing above everybody else in midfield for years on end. Iniesta is one of the most dangerous players in the world and his importance is highlighted by him, and nobody else having the winning goal in the World Cup.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Spain's dominance of possession and the opponent is down to Xavi and Iniesta and the play they bring with them. The other players on the team simply do not dominate teams the same way. They can all pass, shoot, create - but the flow and direction that Spain's game gets is largely down to the duo.

On the other hand, Xavi and Iniesta can so effectively outplay the opposition only because the other players on the team are so talented in different ways. Just look at Spain, it is a dream team. Casillas - possibly the best goalie in Spanish history; Ramos, Pique, Puyol - world-class "best in the world level" CBs; Busquets - one of the most astute DMs ever; Villa - best Spanish striker of the past decade; Alonso - one of the best passers in a long time.

Zidane's France had equally talented players but had a different playing style that didn't require the kind of innate understanding that you see between the Spanish players. So, in that sense, I don't see an advantage for either player (Iniesta or Zidane).

Like PearlBlack said, a lot of things have to go right for a team to be truly historic like Spain/Barca. When comparing individual players though, for the vast majority, Zidane will be remembered as the better player compared to Iniesta because his team's game emphasised individual brilliance more than Barca does.

Kerrybai

Spain's dominance of possession and the opponent is down to Xavi and Iniesta and the play they bring with them. The other players on the team simply do not dominate teams the same way. They can all pass, shoot, create - but the flow and direction that Spain's game gets is largely down to the duo.

On the other hand, Xavi and Iniesta can so effectively outplay the opposition only because the other players on the team are so talented in different ways. Just look at Spain, it is a dream team. Casillas - possibly the best goalie in Spanish history; Ramos, Pique, Puyol - world-class "best in the world level" CBs; Busquets - one of the most astute DMs ever; Villa - best Spanish striker of the past decade; Alonso - one of the best passers in a long time.

Zidane's France had equally talented players but had a different playing style that didn't require the kind of innate understanding that you see between the Spanish players. So, in that sense, I don't see an advantage for either player (Iniesta or Zidane).

Like PearlBlack said, a lot of things have to go right for a team to be truly historic like Spain/Barca. When comparing individual players though, for the vast majority, Zidane will be remembered as the better player compared to Iniesta because his team's game emphasised individual brilliance more than Barca does.

I'm not sure you are right about that, a year or two ago I would agree that Zidanes individual play was highlighted more but I sense that Iniesta is been recognised much more now for his indivisible talents and with Xavi reaching the end of his best years Inestas individual talent will be much clearer for everyone to see. If Iniesta remains at this level for 2-3 more years I think he will become the clear number 1 but of course this argument is completely subjective.

footyfan

Calma, calma
IMO 15-20 years down the road, these years will be remembered as the Messi years. So just the fact that Iniesta was not the best player of his generation will hurt him in direct comparisons with players like Zidane who have a legitimate claim to being best of their generation. Obviously, it's an entirely different issue whether this bias is warranted or not.

Iniesta is being recognised more but if you really conduct a poll as to who's better (not in a Barca forum), I think it's highly likely that Zidane will win. As far as the next 2-3 years are concerned, Messi will likely keep overshadowing Iniesta at Barca, so WC2014 & Euro 2016 will be key. I don't think Spain will win the WC or Euros again, but let's see what happens.

Ender

IMO 15-20 years down the road, these years will be remembered as the Messi years.
If I may make a sporting analogy, I think these Barça years will be remembered similar to the NBA dream team. Yes, Michael Jordan (Messi) is the GOAT. But there was also Magic Johnson (Xavi) and Larry Bird (Iniesta).

N

Noldorin

If I may make a sporting analogy, I think these Barça years will be remembered similar to the NBA dream team. Yes, Michael Jordan (Messi) is the GOAT. But there was also Magic Johnson (Xavi) and Larry Bird (Iniesta).

That's probably a good one for any Americans here, though it will mean precious little to most of the rest of us. ;)

loozy

Or for the the basketball players :p Given that I still have my Jordan- kit lying around at my parents', this means a lot to me and I actually agree with the analogy.

N

Noldorin

I know very few Europeans indeed who follow or have ever followed the NBA... but then my sample is skewed towards the UK. :p

loozy

I just have an interest because I used to play basketball competitively. I still follow the NBA because it is one of my favourite sports but I honestly don't know how big the interest is with other people.

The Dream Team created magic and was just beautiful to watch. It just flowed and seemed as though the players had a telepathic understanding of each other. It was very reminiscent of how Barca is playing at the moment. The US team now is more efficiency-focussed and misses that certain flair and skillset that made the Dream Team unique. These skills were represented by the aforementioned Jordan et al and Barca have that with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Larry Bird is Iniesta in this analogy? :wacko:

There are loads of better choices - Isiah, Gervin and Nash are more accurate, for me

loozy

Larry Bird is Iniesta in this analogy? :wacko:

There are loads of better choices - Isiah, Gervin and Nash are more accurate, for me

I never said that Bird was Iniesta :p Couldn't think of any other players off the top of my hat, I apologize.

barca7788

Nepali Cule
Comparing Iniesta to Messi? :lol: Iniesta's dribbling skills are almost never meant to directly contribute to a goal. What he does is beat/draw in defenders to make space for his teammates to run into and set up an attack. He never tries to run directly at goal and score. He isn't Messi and you shouldn't think they dribble under the same conditions or with the same intentions.
well we can ALWAYS compare their dribbling skills. Dont know why you are laughing. beating defenders and drawing them to set up an attack for team mates???? aint it the defination of dribbling itself?
ya they dont dribble under same conditions thats the reason why i'M telling that iniesta's dribblings shouldnt be wasted most of the time in those far corners.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
[video=metacafe;9886176/iniesta_vs_arsenal_2006/]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9886176/iniesta_vs_arsenal_2006/[/video]

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
well we can ALWAYS compare their dribbling skills. Dont know why you are laughing. beating defenders and drawing them to set up an attack for team mates???? aint it the defination of dribbling itself?
ya they dont dribble under same conditions thats the reason why i'M telling that iniesta's dribblings shouldnt be wasted most of the time in those far corners.

Iniesta's dribbling and close control is perfect for tight spaces and he has displayed this many times. He draws the defenders to the corner, beats them, and then plays a pass into the box for a player to either score or create a goal. Also, Messi's dribbling is more direct and running towards goal to either shoot or play a tricky pass while the defenders are focused on him. Iniesta however plays it more safe and indirect and runs around them into areas, plays a pass or two, and creates space for his teammates, and plays safer passes a lot. He's been great on the wing for both Spain and Barcelona, his connection with Alba is brilliant, and he is having the best season of his life right now in this new role. I'm not saying that it's a permanent switch from midfield to wing though. There are times when we need his roaming distribution skills in midfield so that we can keep possession and control rather than play it risky and direct. And besides his new role has really been a mix of the two.

Home of Barca Fans