Paulino Alcantara - best goalscorer in Barca history

veryfatchocobo

hello there!
im a proud ilongga (a Filipina from Iloilo City, Philippines)
just want to share that football has been born again here in the Philippines. Yes, at last!
it happened during the previously concluded 2010 AFP Suzuki Cup were in the team Azkals (Philippine National Team) beats the defending champion Vietnam with 2-0 score..rigth now the Teams Azkals is preparing for a Challenge Game with Mongolia this February 9, 2011 in order to qualify for the 2014 World Cup.
Iloilo is truly the Football capital of the Philippines, a place were out beloved Paulino Alcantara was born. We all pray for the re-birth of football here in the Philippines. We hope to have more financial support from our government and other international linkages. we don't even have a stadium for football that will qualify the standard of FIFA.
We believed that Filipinos have talent and expertise in the field of FOOTBALL but we all lack support.
As a Fil-Am, I'm in total agreement. We were focused on basketball for way too long, realizing our talent only when McMenemy came along and finally got us to where we are supposed to be.

What we have to focus on now though, obviously, is the Mongolia game, as well as a league approved by the AFC. The Younghusbands especially need to play in a league if we want to succeed farther than the Challenge Cup. In other words, we need more money for a league than we do for the international team IMO.

veryfatchocobo

Depends on how you define foreigners really. We as Filipinos don't really consider 2nd generation guys born outside the Philippines foreigners, especially considering the parents on the team were born in the Philippines (I think most only have 1 Filipino parent though).

What we do consider foreigners are people like that Argentinian player playing for Paraguay and that Uruguayan playing for Indonesia (whyyyyyyy) <_<

So, in one sense, we have 0 foreigners. In the sense that they were born outside the Philippines, 5.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Hello! :wave:

I'd just like to clarify that this stat includes friendlies, Cesar Rodriguez has the record for goals in official games. Paulino's scored around 140 official goals for the club, but I guess he would've scored more if there'd been more official games by then. It is almost impossible to compare players from different decades, but he was obviously something very, very special back then.

M

mitkoa7x

5_-_ALC_NTARA_METGE_FEBRER_1924_.v1330077167.jpg

a gentleman and a scholar

sz11nike

Does anyone know what No. Paulino wore? I am thinking of getting a personalized Barca jersey with his name/number.

Thank you.

Home of Barca Fans