Women's football

Messi983

9-0 win vs Santa Teresa last weekend, 8 of the goals coming in the first half. Jenni Hermoso with 4 of them to surpass Sonia Bermudez as a top scorer in Barca history with 125 goals in 156 games.

Totally dominant team in Spain. 38-1 goal difference after 7 games and already convincingly won against both AM and RM.

Also, they will play in the Round of 32 in UWCL away against PSV Eindhoven tomorrow with a return leg at home next Wednesday. Shouldn't have too much problems to qualify to the next round imo.

Messi983

Barca-Espanyol derby at Camp Nou in one hour.

Bar?a Women will play at the Camp Nou for the first time since their professionalisation, in a league match against Espanyol on January 6th. The team, who since 2019 have been playing at the Estadi Johan Cruyff, will feature at the Camp Nou to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the match that women's side Selecci? Ciutat Barcelona -considered the ‘embryo’ of Bar?a’s women’s football setup- played there on December 25th, 1970. ​​

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
We beat Real Madrid, aka CD Tacon 4:1 today amid a boat load of chances created by us. Really good to see. I hope our financial struggles will not mean we will lose some of those talented players. Women?s football has a really bright future from the financial perspective alone (most likely why Real Madrid bought cd tacon and got into women?s football in the first place).

Andresito

Staff member
Women?s football has a really bright future from the financial perspective alone

Yeah I don't think so. There's potential sure and it will improve but not to a 'really bright future' extent.

I think the bigger value in having a women's team is about modernizing the club and showing that the club has values in thinking that everyone are equal.

Easy way to get pats on the back and to make the brand even more visible.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yeah I don't think so. There's potential sure and it will improve but not to a 'really bright future' extent.

I think the bigger value in having a women's team is about modernizing the club and showing that the club has values in thinking that everyone are equal.

Easy way to get pats on the back and to make the brand even more visible.

I remember reading something about a year ago (couldn't find it) highlighting the huge jump in viewership of the last women's World Cup and how sponsors were throwing big money behind it and women's football in general and how women's football is expected to grow exponentially etc. "Bright future" in terms of comparing to where it was or where it has been, certainly not the the point of achieving an equal footing as men's football in terms of everything, from wages to revenues generated etc.

khaled_a_d

I remember reading something about a year ago (couldn't find it) highlighting the huge jump in viewership of the last women's World Cup and how sponsors were throwing big money behind it and women's football in general and how women's football is expected to grow exponentially etc. "Bright future" in terms of comparing to where it was or where it has been, certainly not the the point of achieving an equal footing as men's football in terms of everything, from wages to revenues generated etc.

Yeah, they will always try to convince investors with things like that.
Women football will always be behind men's football, that alone will hinder its own growth as the difference in quality is Gigantic from entertainment perspective.
Viewers might check in to watch some games, but they will always prefer men's and ignores the female games
Just like the NBA, who have been subsidizing the WNBA for couple of decades now. Because it will always be difficult to convince casuals to check in.
Most expensive players in history was worth below 300K. How many footballers get that weekly right now? :lol:

Andresito

Staff member

Yeah they're getting more and more exposure so it's only natural the viewership increases a bit. Regarding sponsors it'll always be a big PR thing to support a thing like women's football that's been getting a lot of attention very much due to the unequality discussion.

In the end it all depends on what casual people like to watch. Big tournaments are nowadays easily accessible due to being broadcast on the most popular channels and the marketing is there as well. But I doubt people to a high extent will tune in regularly to watch a sport where there's better quality available. I don't see where the market is regarding new people to get hooked on women's football.

Home of Barca Fans