What sports teams do you support/follow and why?

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
I am interested in what and why you supported the teams that you do.

Please do NOT include your primary football team like Barca or for me Liverpool as we know you already support these clubs.

Football

I only support Liverpool but I do follow plenty of other football clubs.

1. AC Milan. Why? A lot of things really. The first match after hillsborough was the semi final of the european cup and 6 mins in the milan and madrid players stopped the match for a mins silence and the Milan fans were heard singing YNWA. Also around the late 80's they became THE super power in europe with the 3 dutchmen, Baresi, Maldini and Costacurta at the back and they played some great stuff. Also the 00's side with Nesta, Stam, Maldini at the back. Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf and Kaka at the peak of their powers and Shevchenko and Inzaghi up front. That was an awesome side.

2. Barcelona. I have always liked Barca even before I met Maria. Mainly because of their kick ass kit and watching the 92 european cup final and Romario-Stoichkov teaching the mancs a football lesson! I have fallen in love with the place and the city from my regular trips there.

American Football

New York Jets. Well my cousin took me to a game in 1999 and I have been hooked on the NFL since!

Cricket

Lancashire. I started my support for them in the mid 90's when they were successful in the one day competitions and I liked their style. Plus I feel an affinity with them that I do not with no other county side.

Formula One

I am a Ferrari man. I love everything about the car. The look, the colour everthing. Plus with.

I also enjoy plenty of individual sports like Pool, Snooker, Darts and Tennis.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Good thread Edward.

Football

Northampton Town - home town club, first team I ever saw play and I was a season ticket holder at Sixfields until I went to Uni in Exeter. They're not glamorous, they're very rarely exciting but they're my team and I'm stuck with them.

Rugby

I'm not a massive Rugby fan but Northamptonshire is a real rugger area and the Saints are very popular, plus it's the home town thing again and a lot of my extended family are massive fans.

Cricket

Er, Northamptonshire! See above, you can take the boy out of Northampton, etc. etc.

American Football

Pittsburgh Steelers. A team that's always caught my eye because of their passionate support and the slightly unorthodox nature of their QB "Big Ben" Roethlisberger. The NFL is my favourite US sport and whilst I'll watch the others and have a liking for the Senators in the NHL I don't go out of my way to watch any sport other than NFL.

Basketball

I'm a massive fan of Barça's basketball side. Some may think this obvious but I don't think it is because so many Barça fans, especially those abroad, simply don't look beyond the football side. We have one of the best basketball sides in Europe, the hottest cheerleaders and the team's style of play is great fun to watch.

Formula One

I tend to follow the British interests more than any one team or driver so during my childhood it was Williams and Mansell/Hill before McLaren came back to the fore during the late 90s and Lewis and Jenson resucitated the fortunes of British drivers. I enjoy seeing anybody beat the vile reds though :)

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
Football

Much like CA I support my hometown club St Mirren FC. They are doing good this season but that game on Saturday was a right downer.

Rugby

I don't support any club team but I obviously sway towards Glasgow and Edinburgh in the Heineken Cup. At international I support Scotland and New Zealand.

Formula 1

Any team Robert Kubica drives for. I quite like Red Bull as well.

Moto GP

YAMAHA !!!!

Tennis

This doesn't count as a team but I like Federer and Murray ( for obvious reasons )

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
dont really follow another football team besides barca but fans of seville

Hockey: unfortunately being from toronto i am a follower of the leafs :D but i follow the flyers as my amercian team cause i loved the history of the broad street bullies illustrated by them beating the crap out of the russian team when they came over :lol: Flames i like because of their hard nosed approach in hockey and was they were the team that won the cup when i was born :D so i have supported them heavily.

North American Football: the argos here in canada cause its my hometown team and the eagles in the USA mainly because of donavan mcnabb making it big as a black QB. i have kind of fallen in love with philly and all their teams due to this over the past couple of years and follow all their teams heavily.

Basketball: the raptors :sad: but they still suck but have potential

Baseball: anybody but the yankees and red sox and sine philly has a team in the playoffs i am with them :D

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Football

Like Ed, I do like a lot of other clubs, but other than Chelsea there's only 2 other clubs whose results I actually follow properly, even though I don't catch many of one teams matches since they are on at a bad time for Australia. Even for me! :lol:

AC Milan - I first started getting into football about 11 years ago, and I started playing FIFA: Road To World Cup 98 and I used Milan the most and eventually started following them. A silly reason, but that's how it started and I've supported them ever since!

Melbourne Victory - My hometown team! I'm a proud Melbournian and I support them in every sport other than AFL.

AFL

Brisbane Lions - I decided to start following AFL in 1999, and I really didn't like any of the Melbourne teams, so one day I heard on the radio that the Brisbane Lions had won a match by 100 points and my friend(who was an avid AFL fan) was quite amazed at it so I thought I'd start following them. Turns out I started supporting them at the right time since they ended up becoming one of the greatest teams of all time from 2001-2004.

Rugby League

Melbourne Storm - Pretty obvious, they are my home team, and they are the only team from Victoria in the whole NRL so it's fantastic to support them cause the whole state are behind them while a large majority of the teams are from NSW, our biggest state rivals! The fact that we've made 4 finals in a row and won 2 over NSW teams is damn sweet!

Motorcycle Racing

I usually support racers as opposed to the manufacturers, but if I had to pick one I've always liked then it has to be Ducati, then Suzuki after them. I started liking Ducati due to the fact that Aussie Troy Corser was riding for them and won a championship with them in the Superbikes. He then replicated it with Suzuki not too long ago but I liked them before he rode for them, I've always been a fan of their road bikes.

Basketball

Miami Heat - Miami is the city in America that I want to visit the most, hence my support for their team. I'm not an avid supporter but I do somewhat keep track of what happens with them. Plus my favourite player is Dwyane Wade. :D

C

ChuckaOwns

Barca Well i suported Real Madrid first....Only joking, but seriusly i supported Barca because my dad wasn't really a football fan, and i started to watch the EPL and didn't like the football they played, and found La liga and liked Barca's kit so i started to support them basically. And of course the way the league played football.

Valencia
-This also started when i was really young, and it was mainly becuase of thier kit once again lol.

Basketball- I've always liked playing basketball, and i guess i wanted to see the sport so once again when i was really young i liked the suns, becuase of there name, i don't rreally follow them, i guess there is no way i could i used to when NBA 360 was on, but that seems to have gone.

F1- I got into this sport REALLY late, so it was basically Massa that got me into it, so that kinda shows why i like ferrari

Tennis- I know there not a team but my two favourite players ever yhave been firstly Safin, then when Nalbandian came into the picture liked him, so there actually my favourite players, Fed is not my favourite player per se he's just the one i support in later rounds becuase Nalba and Safin (only in his later years) are normally out by then in the grand slams, so ye it's all about Safin and Nalba.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
Football

Other than Barca it is my hometown club Chippenham Town FC. They're non-league but have had some decent success over the last decade, we played in one of the final matches at the Old Wembley in the FA Vase where we failed to win despite a load of chances. Great day though. I also played for Chippenham Town Youth since I was 9 until 18 so I've been involved for a long time.

American Sports (mainly baseball)

I enjoy watching hockey but baseball is by far my favourite North American sport. I have family in Philadelphia so I support all the Philly teams. Started liking baseball about 1998 when I was visiting them.

Cricket

I've never really followed a county tbh, Wiltshire is a minor county, so Somerset is who I like to see doing well as they're just down the road. I mainly follow the England team though as it's my 2nd favourite sport.

Tennis

As Chucka said not a team, but I like to see Federer win, such a joy to watch and a top bloke. Big fan of 'Tiger' Tim Henman when he was playing as well, awesome drama.

Formula One

Was a Schumacher fan since I started watching in 1996, used to sit and watch with my grandad on a Sunday. Nowadays I support the English drivers, although I do like Kimi as well.

B

blueduck

Football: Citeh, Sheffield Wednesday (family reasons) and Altrincham FC (down the road).

Rugby: Sale Sharks

Cricket: Meh.

Tennis: Anyone that's playing Andy "The squirrel" Murray

F1: Button & Hamilton

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Football
I don't really have a hometown team unless you count Red Bull New York which are younger than I am and a joke. I like my adopted hometown team of the Montreal Impact (CHAMPIONS!) but I don't find USL appealing enough to watch.

As a massive fan of La Liga, Serie A and the Argentine Primera, I support Barca, Fiorentina and River Plate for different reasons. Barca was the first team I started following though River is probably the most natural, as Buenos Aires is my favourite place.

Basketball

Unfortunately I am a New York Knicks fan. This was great when I was a kid, now it's not something I'd wish upon anyone.

Baseball
Kind of the opposite of with basketball, I don't particularly enjoy watching the sport but I am a dedicated Yankees fan as I grew up going to games during one of the greatest dynasties in American sports history.

Hockey
I've become converted to a Montreal Canadiens fan, it's hard not to like them when you are surrounded by such rabid fans. I always had a soft spot for them after watching them murder the Islanders live as a kid, so it works out.

American Football
Even more so than baseball I don't really have any interest in the sport but it's something that it helps to know a bit about for social reasons in North America. I grew up as a Jets fan and still am though I have a habit of making fun of them to piss off family and friends.

Tennis
Not a team sport but probably my favourite sport outside of football, I am a fan of Del Potro and Nalbandian especially. My favourite player growing up was Michael Chang.

F1
I've been supporting Brawn since day 1. I wanted Team Honda to succeed because I drive a car with a honda engine but it's clear honda put no effort into their engine, credit must go to the team at Brawn who completely turned everything around and unleashed the potential of a promising team. My current favourite driver is Barrichello, he could have won it with Ferrari if they didn't openly force him to stay behind Schumacher and as much as he's to blame for being complacent, I think he's an underrated driver - plus he's Senna's protégée.

Rugby
I don't know anything about club rugby but for internationals I support Ireland and Argentina.

Other than that I support Argentina for all international sports except ice hockey, where I support Canada.

Last edited:

Aasim

Bumbleman
You guys know that Andy Murray is a Barca supporter right. That's why i try and enjoy him.

C

ChuckaOwns

I know, i also try and like him becuase of that, but then the torchure of watching him makes me believe he's a madrid supporter.

Home of Barca Fans