What sports teams do you support/follow and why?

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Always surprises me when non-americans are fans of american football or baseball teams

Well baseball is huge in Japan, Venezuela and the Spanish and Dutch Caribbean, the only Europeans I ever heard with any interest are the Dutch (Caribbean transplants) and Italians (American and Venezuelan transplants). American football seems to have a cult following throughout Europe for some reason.

Apparently baseball is growing in Brazil, which confuses me.

Last edited:

IbraFTW

Bazinga!
Always surprises me when non-americans are fans of american football or baseball teams
I think baseball is ridiculous, but I like American football. Not enough to follow it or anything, but I used to watch it a lot when I was a teenager.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Well baseball is huge in Japan, Venezuela and the Spanish and Dutch Caribbean, the only Europeans I ever heard with any interest are the Dutch (Caribbean transplants) and Italians (American and Venezuelan transplants). American football seems to have a cult following throughout Europe for some reason.

Apparently baseball is growing in Brazil, which confuses me.

Well, that it's big in central america doesn't surprise me since there's a huge influence from up north... And Japan I'd heard about the Japanese obsession with baseball, but I can't for my life understand it...

From my Swedish perspective what's really surprising is Europeans liking it since it'd be about impossible to watch any games live, and there's (atleast where I live) no-one broadcasting Baseball or the NFL.

The NHL is mildly popular due Swede's being good at the sport, and I guess some follow the NBA. Apart from that there's almost no interest whatsoever. Well... I actually know a guy playing American football for fun :lol:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Well, NHL/ hockey in general has a following in most cold countries while warm countries completely ignore it.

I was reading about youth baseball teams in Japan, they are intense as hell. A Japanese pitcher for the Yankees told how after messing up in practice he had to run between posts nonstop for 10 hours after that. Well it's not as bad anymore since parents started suing. :lol:

mittchan82

football: Barca, Korea Republic NT, used to support Anyang LG Cheetas (now K-League's FC Seoul) and when Anyang FC is formed by the citizens of Anyang, I'm their fan forever.
Basketball: LA Lakers - Born and raised in LA; first ever NBA game was one of the finals games between the Lakers and Bulls when Magic and Jordan were still playing.
US Football: Oakland Raiders - It was LA Raiders when I started to follow them. Funny thing is they're the Oakland Raiders now and I'm living in Oakland.
Hockey: don't follow in depth but I've been half-ass following the Sharks and the Kings.
UFC: Chan Sung "Korean Zombie" Jung - Love the way this guy fights. He comes up with some unexpected shit everytime he's in the octagon and never fails to get the fans going

Jimi

Round ball -Barca, Derby Fc, Eintracht Frankfurt, Melbourne Victory - fell in love with derby when they we in EPL in the 90s, my first european soccer match was at the Wald Stadium in Frankfurt!
AFL - Melbourne Demons - First team i followed, funny enough their colours are blue and red!
NRL -Manly Sea Eagles - I live in Manly
Cricket - Melbourne Stars - Green and home coty
NBA - Celtics - I like GREEN!
NHL - Red Wings - I like their Logo
NFL - Raiders - old skool Hip hop
MLB - Oakland Athletics - I like their Hat

Last edited:

Decanus

Formely Jose Maraschino
I have a fondness for Juventus after Barca for some reason. I do not follow any other sports than real football. Barca and Juventus are it for me, although I watch Major League Soccer now and then. I've not really picked a team there, other than already despising the Galaxy.

La LL

Generally Delightful
Been trying to follow the Raiders in NFL for a while now. It's just not clicking and the more I watch the more I question why I even picked this team.

So I've gone over to supporting the Giants.

Oh and hockey started again, so that pretty much automatically makes me a Canucks fan.

ManusXavi

Rugby: Otago Rugby, Otago/Southland Highlanders, NZ national team
Football: Spain, Barcelona, New Zealand All Whites.
I smile when I hear any sports news of Australia not winning.

XaviMessiGirl

Football (besides Barca) -
Clubs: Liverpool, Inter
National teams: Italia, Spain, Argentina

F1: Scuderia Ferrari

Ice hockey: San Jose Sharks

Baseball: San Francisco Giants

macleod

Football-Barca and after that Bayern,Milan,Zenit,Arsenal,Levski Sofia
Basketball-Barca,LA Lakers
Hockey-Pittsburgh Penguins
Tennis-Henman and Santoro,but they retired