Iconic Pictures in Sports

Moe

powered by;
Post here any significant, memorable or iconic picture in any sport.. I will start with a picture of "The Greatest" and another one for the legend Michael Jordan

0789209039.interior01.jpg

After Ali knocked down Liston he refused to go to his corner and wait for the count instead he stood above Liston and yelled "Get up and fight, sucker". The moment was captured by ringside photographer Neil Leifer, and has become one of the iconic images of sport. The photograph of the knockdown of this fight is one of the most heavily promoted photos in the history of the media, and was even chosen as the cover of the Sports Illustrated special issue, "The Century's Greatest Sports Photos".

michael-jordan-slam-dunk-88-poster.jpg

When someone say "A picture is worth a thousand words" this one should come to mind. The legend Michael Jordan with "one of those" flying dunks.. It later become a symbol for Nike under the name "Air Jordan"

Those two pictures are the most iconic and the first that came to my mind

Btw the description under Ali's picture is from Wikipedia

Last edited:

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Seeler.JPG

Very famous pic in germany showing Uwe Seeler in the WC Final vs England in 1966. Germany lost that final due to the most discussed goal in footballs history (the one that bumped from the bar behing the line or maybe not ...).

The interesting story behing that pic is that it actually doesnt show a mentally destroyed Seeler after the match (which could be obvious, and was even stated above the pic). Instead the pic was actually taken during halftime which can be seen by the halftime big band in the back.

Jaumet

All round Nice Guy
sometimes actions speak louder than words...
- He is pointing to his skin colour, and eluding to the fact that he is proud, and so he should be! Big Nicky Winmar
majwinmar_narrowweb__300x649,0.jpg

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
zidane2GET100706_450x440.jpg

Classic moment with the whole world watching

article-1114564-000603AC00000258-258_468x340.jpg

Tardelli's celebration, easily one of my favourite World Cup moments

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
I can't get this picture to work but does anyone have 1995 Rugby World Cup when Pienaar and Mandela talk as he presents the trophy ?

Home of Barca Fans