Gerard Deulofeu

Windhook

Interestingly I read and thought, back in his Barcelona B days, that he was used as a left winger. But seeing him perform now, the right wing seems to be much more comfortable area for Gerard. Yesterday Deulofeu swapped positions with Paco, a couple of times, shifting to the left wing and the results were the same as that tragic display against Real Madrid.

Alik

What were the world class right wingers he beat for the spot in Barca?

Pedro was versatile enough to play both wings and did so for many seasons. Why are you trying to restrict him to right wing?

I meant that Barça could sign up any other winger they wanted.

Spain could start a lot of talented players ahead of him too: Silva, Navas, Mata, Cazorla.

What did he do when Pep's system got found out? Did he elevate the team in any way or did he slowly start to disappear as the team started to struggle?

The team started to struggle and he started to struggle with it. That lasted one season and big name signing Neymar was brought along. After that it was game over for him as a starter.

Did he carry Spain when Iniesta and Xavi got older? How often does he get called for Spain now that he does not play for Barcelona?

Where did I claim that he carried Spain? He still got called up and played in all major matches in Spain's golden generation between 2010 - 2016. He stopped being a Barça player 3 seasons ago. He is already 30 years, and has been a Spain regular for most of his career.

So whatever your point or whatever you're trying to imply, you're wrong.

How is he a "key" player for Chelsea. Hazard and Costa were key players. Are you telling me They were not winning the league with Willian playing on the right and Pedro was not in the team?

What criteria are you judging him by.
Ok, perhaps key was a strong word. He was still a Chelsea regular starter, starting 50 of the 76 premier league matches for them and being subbed in 15 more.

Being less talented at young age is in many cases an advantage. It is not absurd to say that at all. You learn the value of hard work at an young age. Being extremely talented tends to make you complacent.
Being less talented is a bs "advantage". If a player fails because of his lack of hard work that's a shitty excuse to give.

Also Pedro's best position is not even on the wing like Deulofeu. He is a poacher. He played his best games for Spain when playing off a central forward.
Wrong and irrelevant.

On the wing he cannot trick anyone, he cannot out run anyone, he is not a good crosser of the ball...
He is a good passer, he is smart, he is an excellent finisher, he can play in either wing, he links up well with his teammates and has been able to maintain a long career at a high level.

And to conclude, I point back to the original post I disagree on:

Easy...

People are/were vastly overrating Pedro.

Deu can actually beat a man one on one.

If he keeps working on defense as he did this game he is already better.

Cannot say that he will "easily" be better than Pedro. There is no basis for that and is indeed disrespectful to Pedro. And in no case is he already a better player, regardless of how much work in defense he does.

Last edited:

jamrock

A nice game from him, but one question for guys who watched him more often.
Does he have problems with Stamina?

His match looked like this:
10 mins: he doesn't do anything
11th minute: he makes an amazing action
Next 10 minutes: he needs to slow down to catch a breath
20th minute: an amazing action
2nd half: even worse (looking as if he is tired all the time) and less running/solo actions.

I am exagerrating, but you get the point.
For now it seems: when he tries a solo action, he is awesome. But it seems that he has stamina only for 5-6 actions over a match.
He isn't able to run up and down for 90 minutes and try 20-30 solo actions (for example, Neymar was able to try a solo action every 2 minutes and wasn't tired).

If someone will reply: it is the 1st match of a season.
Neymar and Roberto also played only 2-3 matches this season.
Roberto is running like a robot. Neymar is running up and down at Psg, the same as always. 20-30 times per match.
They aren't affected by the 1st match of a season.

I don't know if it's a stamina thing, but it could be, but I've been watching him for years & that's b as basically how he always played, great action then he just kinda fades then pop ps back.

It could be a stamina for real

Nothanks

Facts:

he played like dogshit against Real Madrid
he was MOTM against Betis

so right now he is a 5/10 in my eyes maybe less because playing bad against our rivals holds more weight than against baddies betis.

God Serena

Ok, you are his fan and I know that you watched him more.
You probably have more infos than us.

I have a feeling for now that Deulo can take the ball and create a dangerous chance WHENEVER he wants.
And I have a feeling that with improved/higher Stamina, he would be able to do a mess in the opponents box way more often.
Currently he tries only 2-3 solo actions per half, but again, I have a feeling that with more stamina, he would be able to do the same 5-6-7 times per half.
As if he makes a solo run and then he shuts down for a several minutes to recharge his batteries.

Which is a somewhat weird because he is only 23 years old.
He should be able to run like a robot all over the field in that age (like Sergi roberto).

My theory is, from watching him extensively over the years, is this. He's always been used to being the de facto star man on his team, similar to Messi now, but obviously on a lot lower level. The same way Messi refuses to defend most of the time so he can focus on scoring, is what Deu had been used to for most of his life. But since starting in top flight football, suddenly every coach he had would complain mainly about one thing, as his selfishness, end product, teamwork, etc were all things they thought they themselves could fix (it seems), and that is his defending. Taking a player who only knows attacking and thrusting him into a new level where he has to run a lot more is going to cause stamina issues. Even at Everton, his stamina issues only started becoming an issue from what I could tell when he was making last man tackles and sprinting to cover for his fullback, which imo was kind of overdoing it, but I get he was desperate at the time. At Milan he was trying his good movements as often as he could while also making a lot of effort to defend and he fizzled out as his time there went on, causing the fans to sour on him. Some would say he failed at Milan because of this but I don't think so, a player like him can't run as much as he was while also starting every game and playing the full 90.

Neymar was in a similar boat but you didn't see nearly the same level of defensive effort. He'd track back and be there if needed but his defensive work rate was never anything to write home about. He focused primarily on his dribbles that usually led to absolutely nothing and any way he could possibly get the ball to Messi. Comparisons to Pedro going on in this thread is a can of worms I didn't want to open, but he was never a particularly skilled forward, he just made his way up through an incredible amount of hard work. He defended harder than our defenders and always went in as hard as he could (Even if that became super ineffective after MVP ended) in the attack, and that had always been his style, so his stamina was always going to be much better.

Overall, I think Deu's stamina problems are down to his incredible skill as an attacker at an early age. It's part of why I never wanted him as anything more than a backup (Okay, except for when I was a La Masia worshipping fool and thought every talent should start for us eventually, lol), although I do think it can be improved drastically if he's given enough minutes, because his stamina issues seem to be more fitness related, than genetic (Like Rakitic).

Adversus

Just like every other player at Barcelona. If you can't handle this, do not ever come to play for this club.
Some players get it more. Messi gives the ball away and misses loads of chances as do all players. I prefer to judge players on what they create and I never understand why players like Deulofeu get so harshly judged even when they are very productive.

Ultimately the point is to score goals.

kattanib

Some players get it more. Messi gives the ball away and misses loads of chances as do all players. I prefer to judge players on what they create and I never understand why players like Deulofeu get so harshly judged even when they are very productive.

Ultimately the point is to score goals.

I have said it before ... this is due to the sheep herd theory. Not sure who are the leaders of these sheep fans though

clemente

As expected he doesn't really offer something special, I can only see him as late game sub. Very glad we got Dembele.

Home of Barca Fans