How do you define world class ?

How do you define world class ?

• Total voters

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
Tbh everyone uses it with their different definitions so there's never any consistency anyway. Like Beast considers world class players like Pele, Cruyff etc world class, whereas I would put them in a 'legends' category who are all time greats. World class are some of the best players in the world right now, who would generally get into any team.

Sallou

I was tempted to go for top 5 in every position. But really, I don't think that's quite true. It's far fetched, but only an example; what if the quality of rightbacks is soooo poor, that the best RB in the world is an average player? In this case, being the bst in his position doesn't make him world class. Like I said, I know there is rarely a position so poor world wide at any time, but you get what I mean.

I think I agree with a mix between top ranked players (in any position) and "good enough to get some sort of place on any team in the world." However, this still doesn't fully explain. The best player in the world may not even get into every team. Imagine a fast, skillful player, not a hold the ball up player, but a great instinctive striker, and considered to be the best in the world. A very defensive team, who don't get forward very often, and so need a hold up player... would the player mentioned previously get into that team? Not if the manager doesn't wnat to change the whole teams style to fit one player. You know? So, excluding those sort of examples, then yeah, a world class player is a player who would rank among the top in the world, and could get a place in any team.

Imo, there are very few truely world class players playing today. Messi, Iniesta, Casillas and Buffon are among them I think. Perhaps Gerrard and Xavi as well.

Sallou

Actually, I never know my opinion on Gerrard. lol. I truely do think he's overrated but still a great player at the same time. Sometimes I see him play and think- he might nearly be world class- other times I think..he's good but not that good. I think if i'm so indecisive then it's a no. I mean, I'd be sure if I truely did think he was world class.

Zqa-

When you are the worlds best in your position, you are world class. That's pretty obvious? Players can make world class stuff though, but never be near world class. So top 5.

maz

I walk the line
When you are the worlds best in your position, you are world class. That's pretty obvious? Players can make world class stuff though, but never be near world class. So top 5.

I wouldnt say there is a world class left-back at the moment. Evra is top but not world calss.

Thought Provoking

I wouldnt say there is a world class left-back at the moment. Evra is top but not world calss.

I'd disagree with that. I think it's fair to say that Evra and Maicon are the two standout players at the fullback position.

Both world class because they can attack like wingers, and defend like defenders.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I define world-class as follows:

Xavi.

class dismissed.

but seriously now, world-class isn't something you can define by position. it's someone who could play at the top level in pretty much any team and be awesome. xavi, messi, iniesta, CR, kaka, villa, rooney, rio, vidic, evra, nesta (yeah, bitch!), drogba, carvalho, cashley, torres, gerrard (sigh), zlatan, dani, maicon, buffon, iker, julio cesar... etc.

I like the idea of only using it for a select few legends such as beast does, but to me the phrase "world class" doesn't lend itself to such a use. legend, perhaps, is more apt for that kind of player. or titan.

actually I quite like titan. it has similar connotations to god without any of the blasphemy.

beast! let's start a movement! (or, err, a list)

Beast

The Observer
My list is limited with regards to WC ..

Di Stefano,Pele,Puskas Maradona,Cruyff,Beckenbauer , Rumminege ,Platini,Zidane,Romario,Laudrup,Ronaldo,Roberto Baggio

from the current generation only Messi so far and maybe just maybe CR if he continue his 42 goals form

the rest are all excellent players that's Best,Charlton,Moore,Garincha,Passerela,Van Basten,Boniek,Rivaldo,Ronaldinho,Raul(in his prime ) ,Matthaus,Gerrard,Rooney,Gullet,Cantona,Batistuta,Del Piero,Kubala,Hierro,Butre,Pep..etc

maz

I walk the line
Guess i dont agree with beast completely. I would put your players as "legend" status. I would put your "excellent" players as world class for sure.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I´d love to agree with the definition that world class is someone who is among best in his position. But which LB is world class? None that I can see atm. There are some very good LB´s but noone is close to Maldini or even Roberto Carlos.
For me world class is an adjective that can only be assigned to a player of special talent who either led his team to titles or generally marked competitions he played in.
Question: was Villa world class before he won EC with Spain?

Home of Barca Fans