Thiago Alcantara

FCBfan22

I would keep Rakitic without a doubt.

Raki is decent cover for Busi and is better in some ways. Much better defensively and more mobile.

Fuck it would be inclined to drop Raki to DM and push Busi into CM.

Never happen though

Actually they were switching positions quite a bit in the last few games. It didn't bring anything to the game, though.

Rakitić and Busi should be playing in DM next year. 50% of the games each.

JamDav1982

Actually they were switching positions quite a bit in the last few games. It didn't bring anything to the game, though.

Rakitić and Busi should be playing in DM next year. 50% of the games each.

Players will always swtich positions to an extent not just last few games.

That is different.

Joan

I would keep Rakitic without a doubt.

Raki is decent cover for Busi and is better in some ways. Much better defensively and more mobile.

Fuck it would be inclined to drop Raki to DM and push Busi into CM.

Never happen though.
He's the only backup we have and I'd say he's decent. In games he also does cover a lot for Busquets and even Pique when he's upfront hunting the goal. Don't think we'd get that from anyone else.

Runs like a horse all season and is never injured, really good asset. But he lacks offensive contribution, which is shame since he can cross and shoot well.

I liked the header last match, not a bad option.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Rakitic is more reliable to shit the bed in the CL and provide nothing offensively.

It's like people really don't pay attention to his performances there at all. He was abysmal against Chelsea in the 1-1, pedestrian in our Chelsea/Roma wins, and then put in a horrorshow against Roma again. With him it's impossible to progress the ball and get it into more dangerous areas against a parked bus. Conversely, it's near impossible to build out the back with Rakitic against a team that actually presses high and closes down in our half.

The worst part is he can only even effectively exist in a 4-4-2, he gets utterly destroyed in a 4-3-3. So we're forced to play a formation that hurts Busquets, Messi, Iniesta, and Coutinho just to help out Rakitic (and Suarez). The idea that Raki is a better DM than Busquets is beyond laughable. Just cause he does a cleanup job and statpads simple ball recoveries in his 4-4-2 position, he never has been and never will be the true spine of the midfield. Rakitic in a 4-4-2 is a glorified janitor on the pitch. Without Busi, we are lost.

JamDav1982

He's the only backup we have and I'd say he's decent. In games he also does cover a lot for Busquets and even Pique when he's upfront hunting the goal. Don't think we'd get that from anyone else.

Runs like a horse all season and is never injured, really good asset. But he lacks offensive contribution, which is shame since he can cross and shoot well.

I liked the header last match, not a bad option.

Yeah he had a good season and worth keeping unless a big offer comes in.

Busi is slow as fuck and his lack of mobility is getting exposed by teams on break but he also looked better on ball than ever this season in terms of range of passing/switching play etc.

ASordidGod

Niko Kovač likes Rakitić.

Would you trade Rakitić for Thiago? :thinking:

I honestly don't know, for us, he'd be an upgrade but Rakitić is more reliable. I think Ivan would be an upgrade for Bayern, though, TBF.

Not sure whether you're massively under rating Thiago, or massively over rating Rakitic...

tacticvarium

I would keep Rakitić and bring Thiago instead of Arthur and obviously promote Aleñá.
This would give us both quality and fresh energy.
But I know it won't happen:neymar:

Joan

Not sure whether you're massively under rating Thiago, or massively over rating Rakitic...

None of it.

I do think Thiago would improve us since he fits our style. But is also a liability, injury prone and tends to go underperform when it matters the most.

Rakitić on the other hand would suit Bayern's and Niko's style. I think many would be surprised.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
None of it.

I do think Thiago would improve us since he fits our style. But is also a liability, injury prone and tends to go underperform when it matters the most.

Rakitić on the other hand would suit Bayern's and Niko's style. I think many would be surprised.

How on earth does Thiago get the rap for "underperforming when it matters most" but Rakitic doesn't???

Thiago was MOTM and scored the winner in the game that sent Bayern past Sevilla to the semifinals. He had one very poor game against RM, and one pretty great one. Also scored vs Beskitas in the R16.

Rakitic was at best irrelevant, at worst abysmal against Roma/Chelsea.

Many of you keep harping on about "Verratti choking when it matters most" as well. What a narrative fueled argument for both players, even if they've had a share of poor big games. Thiago and Verratti's version of failing when it matters most is still better than even Rakitic's very best performances these days. Both of them are on another tier to Rakitic as players overall and as performers in big games.

Rakitic just gets the benefit of low expectations and no one bothering to notice how much of a shitshow he's having out there on the pitch. The others have every mistake or bad moment shined in a spotlight.

Felipetonelo

2017/18 season:

Starting eleven: 22 games
Coming from the bench: 10 games
Was in the bench but didn't play: 1 game
Out of the squad: 1 game
Injured: 19 games

Total: 53 games --> He was injured in 35% of all games. Somebody said 40%, it's not far from the truth.

In 16/17 he was injured for 5 games out of 50.

He's a very good player and would add a lot to this Barca, but his transfer has some risk. He can come and play 90% of the games or he can be injured for some parts of the season, depending on luck if it will be in copa del rey games or CL games.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
[tw]998756866074259458[/tw]

If we can get him for a good fee and by that I'm thinking everything under 70m, we should be all over this.

They need a backup LB right? And we're willing to sell Digne to Juve for under 20m?

45-50m + Digne.

Cmon bring him back home. We need this shit.

THAT SAID.

Being realistic.

I know this.

Will. Not. Happen.

Last edited:

aaron101

I would keep Rakitić and bring Thiago instead of Arthur and obviously promote Aleñá.
This would give us both quality and fresh energy.
But I know it won't happen:neymar:

Then Thiago gets injured and we are left with just Rakitic, Aleña and Coutinho in Midfield. Fresh energy no more lol

FCBfan22

If we bring back Thiago, Valverde will need to change his rotation policy. In case he likes Thiago and he becomes one of his most trusted players, there is no way in hell that he can play as many games in a row with minimal rest as Rakitić has this season.

Thiago with Valverde's current rotation is an injury waiting to happen.

Home of Barca Fans