Thiago Alcantara

jamrock

It as nthn to do with pep it's all on Tito.

Pep played him, even when he had 4 of the best midfielders in the world in the team.

Tito did not

frog-fcb

Anyone ever think he might have actually wanted to leave so we kept his clause low to grant him that wish. Kinda the same way we give pedro a new deal with a lower clause just so he could leave

frog-fcb

Just done a bit of checking hes under contract till 2019 at bayern which will probably coincide with the don's retirement could easily come back home on a free and slot into the midfield beside his bro

Messi983

If Tito played him over Cesc he wouldn't have left. Both are at fault, but Tito's decisions to favor Cesc, who played like shit all season, was in my opinion the biggest "go fuck yourself" to Thiago.

It's hard to blame Tito IMO. He spend months in New York for his treatment and Jordi Roura just played his usual proven players instead of giving a chance to youngsters. And even when Tito was here physically I don't think he was ever fully concentrated on his job which is understandable given his health problems. It was a hard season for Tito and everyone at the club and I think they just "overlooked" Thiago's case.

Anyone ever think he might have actually wanted to leave so we kept his clause low to grant him that wish. Kinda the same way we give pedro a new deal with a lower clause just so he could leave

That's true. He even admitted himself that he wants to succeed in football, not at Barça. I don't blame him for this kind of thinking, it's his career after all and he can do whatever he wants. But at the same time that was a reason why I didn't cry or blame "our stupid board" when he left. I don't want players here that don't want to play for Barça with their heart and soul. I'm not crazy about him returning but if we get him back someday then I'm willing to give him a chance. But right now I have him in the same rang as Cesc, Bellerin and other players that left us even earlier than he did and for whom we didn't get anything.

JamDav1982

If Tito played him over Cesc he wouldn't have left. Both are at fault, but Tito's decisions to favor Cesc, who played like shit all season, was in my opinion the biggest "go fuck yourself" to Thiago.

Cesc was better than Thiago that season and that is the reason he played more than him.

Thiago could have stayed and fought for his place but didnt. This idea he was screwed over is just wrong. He wasnt at all.

The reason Pep played him more the season before that is that he tried to play 3-4-3 as teams were becoming wise to Barcelonas tactics. Thiago and all the midfielders got a lot of minutes. As the season went on and Pep reverted back to a 4-3-3 he favoured Cesc also if there was a choice between the two.

Pep bought him to play new formation then left leaving one of four very good CMs to leave the club. No one forced Thiago to leave he made that decision himself.

BarçaBarça

Cesc was better than Thiago that season and that is the reason he played more than him.

Thiago could have stayed and fought for his place but didnt. This idea he was screwed over is just wrong. He wasnt at all.

The reason Pep played him more the season before that is that he tried to play 3-4-3 as teams were becoming wise to Barcelonas tactics. Thiago and all the midfielders got a lot of minutes. As the season went on and Pep reverted back to a 4-3-3 he favoured Cesc also if there was a choice between the two.

Pep bought him to play new formation then left leaving one of four very good CMs to leave the club. No one forced Thiago to leave he made that decision himself.

Yes, and that would be all unproblematic, if we had a proper replacement. As it turns out, Iniesta keeps getting older (surprise!), and our midfield has been crowded out tactic-wise, so that right now we don't have any. But Thiago was our player, we could have kept him if we wanted (played him x number of games more), and then we would not be in the most existential crisis in years, because we would have a Barca-bred midfielder with the classic profile.

It is very hard to just 'forget him' / 'respect his decision', when he is the ideal piece of the puzzle missing in our midfield right now, and when hardly any WC midfielder is available right now. We let him go, and that was insanely stupid, and it's not just something to move on from, it is something we can't fix right now, and it is hard to see how we can.

khaled_a_d

No he was not, cesc is and was always a better player than thiago

This might be true,but yet it wasn't simply just about who is better.
Back in 09/10 season Yaya has been the better player between him and Busquets and almost every fan poll even in Catalonia wanted him starting and yet Pep kept playing Busquets and even later sold Yaya.why? Because he knew what type of player Busquets is going to be and he wanted to take his growing pains for the sake of the future.
Thiago is the best prospect we had since Pedro & Busquets up till the date,was the only one too who was worth such investment.Though at the end of the day Pep was the one whp bought Cesc at the same season he promoted Thiago

Even bigger to the problem? It wasn't just about Cesc playing time,Xavi was overplayed at the age of 33,Thiago could have cut some of Xavi minutes or even 29 years old Iniesta.
A lot of mistakes was done that year IMHO regarding his situation,but that is 4 years ago,we rebounded well with a guy like Rakitic. Thiago playing brilliantly as he is doing right now will always makes such conversation happens but what is done is done

Alik

Yes, and that would be all unproblematic, if we had a proper replacement. As it turns out, Iniesta keeps getting older (surprise!), and our midfield has been crowded out tactic-wise, so that right now we don't have any. But Thiago was our player, we could have kept him if we wanted (played him x number of games more), and then we would not be in the most existential crisis in years, because we would have a Barca-bred midfielder with the classic profile.

It is very hard to just 'forget him' / 'respect his decision', when he is the ideal piece of the puzzle missing in our midfield right now, and when hardly any WC midfielder is available right now. We let him go, and that was insanely stupid, and it's not just something to move on from, it is something we can't fix right now, and it is hard to see how we can.

We had two extremely successful seasons with Rakitic. Would you have sacrificed that to have a longer-term player in Thiago now? That is, if Thiago could remain fit?

Barcilliant

Lol. The Thiago train has left the station.

If Thiago had become top ten in the world I would have understood but he hasn't.

Get over it and move on.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
It's hard to blame Tito IMO. He spend months in New York for his treatment and Jordi Roura just played his usual proven players instead of giving a chance to youngsters. And even when Tito was here physically I don't think he was ever fully concentrated on his job which is understandable given his health problems. It was a hard season for Tito and everyone at the club and I think they just "overlooked" Thiago's case.

Thank you for talking sense sir. Tito is some body who has seen Thiago right from his days in Barca B. There won't be a reason for him to not play Thiago at all!

BarçaBarça

Lol. The Thiago train has left the station.

If Thiago had become top ten in the world I would have understood but he hasn't.

Get over it and move on.

To whom? Or do you think our midfield is doing just fine?
No WC-midfielder is available (KdB, Verratti, Gundogan) and we are running out of time for someone young to adjust to our club (like Dahoud or someone like that).
I would very much like to move on and forget Thiago, but our current situation makes it very hard, imo, because we had the option not to be in this mess.

But well, maybe Gomes/Denis or Rafinha can rise to the occasion in a new system with a new coach, right now I'm just sceptic about that (although we should keep Rafa+Denis).

Home of Barca Fans