Thiago Alcantara

BBZ8800

I will be a bad guy.
One thing that bothers me with Thiago is that I don't see him as a leader.
People will ask: what it has to do with a controlling midfielder?
Well, Xavi had awesome skills, but also, he wasn't scared as a footballer. He was a leader in terms: "give me the ball when it matters, I will try to create something".
People often look as Xavi only terms of skills, but he had a perfect mental strength in that "leadership midfielder" part.
Iniesta, the same. Perfect skills, plus he was not afraid to a be a leader with the ball when it mattered.

So, people often talk about Xavi and Iniesta and how we need to replicate them, but they both had perfect skills plus leadership personality.
On the other hand, imo, some players are supporting-midfielders and followers, aka players who need a leader behind them and then they will shine, but THEY are not leaders by themselves.

When I look at Thiago, he resembles of Xavi. He passes like him and moves like him in some cases.
But he is not offering the same things as Xavi.
In numbers, just my estimation:
Xavi plays 7 backapasses
And 3 risky forward passes

While Thiago plays 9 backpasses
And 1 risky forward passes

Some players are ready to take risks for 90 minutes (not in a dumb way like Neymar). While some guys mostly play it safe and try some risk not as often as expected.

Xavi played deep, but was always ready for deadly through balls.
Imo, Thiago is way, way, way safer player.
He can do a good through ball or a forward pass from time to time, don't get me wrong, but that is miles from Xavi's era.
People will reply: but no one can replicate Xavi.
True, but then you guys will probably be disappointed with Thiago's displays at Barca.

I tried to think a little about that part how both Barca and Bayern have let him go.
And how Hoeness and Matthaus said that he is not a decisive player in big matches and how he doesn't offer too much in attacking part.

I on't know, in his personality I just don't see that "leadership part" in terms of midfield.
He could work besides Kroos or Iniesta, where Thiago would do a dirty work and pass a ball to Kroos. And then Kroos would give killer balls to attackers all the time.
But if we expect from Thiago to be a leader with a lot of killer balls, I don't see it happening.

It is hard to describe it in words, but I have a feeling that people won't get nowhere near what they are expecting from him in terms of creativity, being our midfield leader and similar.
There are tooooons of backpasses and sideway passes in his play.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]

Can you be a good guy and suggest an alternative solution then? It's funny how you don't see Thiago as a midfield leader(not necessarily disagreeing), but are fine signing Rabiot who's not PSGs midfield leader, or their secondary leader, but their 3rd option and is a guy who threw a tantrum about not getting selected to the WC in such fashion he might not get selected ever again.

Is that your leader? Or do you have anyone else in mind?

BBZ8800

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]

Can you be a good guy and suggest an alternative solution then? It's funny how you don't see Thiago as a midfield leader(not necessarily disagreeing), but are fine signing Rabiot who's not PSGs midfield leader, or their secondary leader, but their 3rd option and is a guy who threw a tantrum about not getting selected to the WC in such fashion he might not get selected ever again.

Is that your leader? Or do you have anyone else in mind?

You are right.
Rabiot is an idiot, not a true leader.
But offers something different and could be both a workhorse Cm and Cdm (after Busi).

I look at football at other levels than just at skills.
People see good passing and technique and say: he is the man.
Imo, Real is NOT winning CLs only because of skills, but because of mental skills and those leadership/courage abilities.

Kroos is a true midfielder leader.
Modric is also a decent leader.
On the other hand, Kovacic reminds of Thiago in that mental area.
Kovacic also possess good skills, but he lacks that leadership part. Kovacic doesn't seem anymore as a guy who could be a leader of RM's (or Croatia's) midfield.
He can shine though, alongside Modric or some other guys who will take more responsibility.
Kovacic will make 1 good action and then he will sit back for others to be leaders for the next 10-20 minutes.
Then he will have 1 brave action again, then he will sit back and disappear again.
I see Dembele in a same way. He could be good playing alongside a few other leaders.
If you make him as a leader, that won't work at Barca's level.
On the other hand, Coutinho has that strange leadership ability in terms: times are rocky? Give the ball to me 10 times in a row. I am willing to try a risky pass or shoot even 10 times in a row.
Neymar also has that skill, but he don't use his brain, so he went into extremes.

I hope that you get what I am trying to say.
Also, some guys here mentioned: Thiago and Arthur could play together.
Imo that would be waaaaaay too defensive.
Thiago looks to me closer as some advanced Busi than Xavi.
He plays more like a Cdm than like Cm, imo.

I have watched more of his videos now and I can't shake off a feeling that our team will look like this in 433:
Suarez - Dembele
---- Messi -------
Coutinho --------
-------------------
-- Busi - Thiago -
Alba Umt Piq Roberto

He is dropping so deep to get the ball, I have a feeling that he will clash with Busi.
Plus, he seems to naturally drops deep and play more as a Cdm than Cm, so our midfield will look like 424 with Busi-Thiago double pivot and Coutinho venturing to attack all the time.

Coutinho seems to be positionally too attacking to be a new Iniesta.
Thiago seems to be positionally too defensive to be the next Xavi.
Pair those 2 as Cms in 433 and you won't get the good old Pep's era, but a 424 mess with a giant hole in midfield.

Currently, in terms of positioning and which areas do players naturally cover, Pjanic looks more like a Cm than Thiago:

Thiago has shinier technique.
But I don't know, for me, something is "off" regarding Thiago's natural zones where he likes to play and too many backpasses for my taste.
Pjanic seems more brave, with way more attacking passing attempts and goals.

But on the other hand, if we'll play Coutinho-Pjanic/Thiago-Busi, we will again lose Rakitic's muscles in CL matches.

Last edited:

Yannik

Thiago is very versitile in midfield and can also play a more offensive or wider position. He played CAM under Ancelotti a lot, the Arsenal games come to mind, and he doesn't do it as often anymore because James occupies this position. What Thiago currently does as instructed, and what he potentially can do are two different things. He is quite complete, even wins surpringly many headers (to appease the "our midfield is too small" crowd).

cro-man

Thiago is the definition of a clueless midfielder with a brilliant technique and is also a injury prone. Cant believe we are thinking about to spend 70+ for him. He is so much rated here an dont know why. Never been a fan of him since his first days for us. Its not enough to just keep the ball and play it safe back and sidewards but thats what we are getting here. A rakitic with a better technique but who cant defend.

I would say yes to him only if his price would be reasonable. If bayern is intending to sell him they will play it hard just to cash really hard on us because they know our board is easily to trick....

Jombi

Thiago is very versitile in midfield and can also play a more offensive or wider position. He played CAM under Ancelotti a lot, the Arsenal games come to mind, and he doesn't do it as often anymore because James occupies this position. What Thiago currently does as instructed, and what he potentially can do are two different things. He is quite complete, even wins surpringly many headers (to appease the "our midfield is too small" crowd).

Yeah, its nuts to call Thiago too defensive for our midfield. Players are instructed to play a certain way. We cant sign players based on how often they shoot from distance or some other trait like that. It changes based on instructions.

But so far its useless speculation. He isnt a realistic option unless there are clear signs Bayern wants to get rid of him for a reasonable fee.

And whats up with the Pjanic talk? Are Juve signalling they want to get rid?

Last edited:

Havesaks

Thiago is the definition of a clueless midfielder with a brilliant technique and is also a injury prone. Cant believe we are thinking about to spend 70+ for him. He is so much rated here an dont know why. Never been a fan of him since his first days for us. Its not enough to just keep the ball and play it safe back and sidewards but thats what we are getting here. A rakitic with a better technique but who cant defend.

I would say yes to him only if his price would be reasonable. If bayern is intending to sell him they will play it hard just to cash really hard on us because they know our board is easily to trick....

Whaaat?

Thiago is absolute worldclass especially for clubs like Barcelona or the national team where a controlling cm is needed. He brings such a flow to the game and he will be a brilliant partner to Bussi. One of the biggest problem this year was the lack of control in midfield, he will fix that, and the thing about not being offensive in his play, we dont really need him to be, even though im sure he can be if needed; we have Suarez, Coutinho, Messi and Dembele for that. But you are right about him being injury prone, that is such a shame, and it is questionable if we really should splash 70-80m for him. 50m would be a no brainer tho.

Havesaks

Rafinha and Thiago midfield without injuries would be as close as you can get to Iniesta-Xavi; both in style and quality, its actually shocking how good our midfield would be with those two without injuries and how similar they would be to the iniesta-xavi-configuration. Such a shame, really

George_Costanza

I would say yes to him only if his price would be reasonable. If bayern is intending to sell him they will play it hard just to cash really hard on us because they know our board is easily to trick...

So much nonsense in your post! Thiago is among the best-controlling midfielder in the world along Kroos, Modric, Verratti, and KDB.
Also, a controlling midfielder doesn't have to be a holding one. A controller main responsibility is to set a tempo and try to control the game. He can help with the defensive but it ain't his main responsibility. I see Velvarde already brainwashed so many here into loving pragmatic catenaccio tactics.

henias

Can't believe people say he is a Rakitic with better technique :facepalm:

Rakitic is slow as fuck and is not versatile at all.

snowy

Thiago has shinier technique.
But I don't know, for me, something is "off" regarding Thiago's natural zones where he likes to play and too many backpasses for my taste.
Pjanic seems more brave, with way more attacking passing attempts and goals. ...

If you guys want a technically skilled, super confident, attack-oriented MF with balls of stone and nerves of steel, Ziyech's marks the spot :cool:

I'll post his profile in a few, but for now, here's the SC:

Interesting to note that Thiago outshines all the other players in Defense & Possession whereas Hakim rules in terms of key passes, assists and chances created (143 chances in league play last season).

https://tinyurl.com/y9puf9k7

HZ Skaw.jpg

Eriksen edges him slightly in terms of Goals scored and shot accuracy but Hakim could be signed for 40 million or less (Roma's been negotiating for the past few weeks to sign up for about 25 million or so I think).
Dude's been a Barca fan since he was a kid :)

He excels on the RIGHT but also gets top marks in the Centre and on the Left
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/115868/Show/Hakim-Ziyech

we could play in a 433 as:

-----------Coutinho-----------Messi------------Dembele--------------

------__Ziyech (Arthur)?------ -Busi----------Ziyech (Alena)?------

__________________________4 DEF______________________________

We should jump in quick before Roma locks the deal. He's a real steal in today's hyper-inflated markets.

Last edited:

Sorin

I like how Thiago's lack of leadership and big game cojones comes up everytime. But then people come and want Pjanic. Pjanic has just as much lack of great games when the stakes are high as Thiago, maybe even more. Everyttime we played Juventus, the only positive thing he did was foul Messi time and time again. He shat the bed in the CL final. He was nowhere to be found both games against Madrid this year. But then Thiago has been on the ending of some fierce criticism when he bossed their midfield alone in that second game this year. At least try to mask your agenda, people.

Trickykid

If you guys want a technically skilled, super confident, attack-oriented MF with balls of stone and nerves of steel, Ziyech's marks the spot :cool:

I'll post his profile in a few, but for now, here's the SC:

Interesting to note that Thiago outshines all the other players in Defense & Possession whereas Hakim rules in terms of key passes, assists and chances created (143 chances in league play last season).

https://tinyurl.com/y9puf9k7

View attachment 7862

Eriksen edges him slightly in terms of Goals scored and shot accuracy but Hakim could be signed for 40 million or less (Roma's been negotiating for the past few weeks to sign up for about 25 million or so I think).
Dude's been a Barca fan since he was a kid :)

He excels on the RIGHT but also gets top marks in the Centre and on the Left
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/115868/Show/Hakim-Ziyech

we could play in a 433 as:

-----------Coutinho-----------Messi------------Dembele--------------

------__Ziyech (Arthur)?------ -Busi----------Ziyech (Alena)?------

__________________________4 DEF______________________________

We should jump in quick before Roma locks the deal. He's a real steal in today's hyper-inflated markets.

I know Whoscored has him as a CM, but the matches I've seen him in, he's been an outright AM. Ziyech is a fun player to watch, no doubt, but in my eyes he's much more attacking than what we currently need.

Home of Barca Fans