Thiago Alcantara

JamDav1982

Roberto himself said Enrique talking to him was important. As it was to thiago that pep wanted him. But yes, if Roberto had left he'd be in second string team now.

The flip side of that is Tito played Thiago a lot more than Lucho played Sergi and maybe didnt feel he had to promise him anything more than performances warranted.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanx. Only proves he had an even greater obstacle. Getting through first team and having Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc and Thiago in front.
Boy stuck around and got his reward.

F

Flavia

The flip side of that is Tito played Thiago a lot more than Lucho played Sergi and maybe didnt feel he had to promise him anything more than performances warranted.

Sure. But Enrique reassured him, as he needed Roberto, because of the ban. If not for that I doubt Bob'd still be here.

Thanx. Only proves he had an even greater obstacle. Getting through first team and having Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc and Thiago in front.
Boy stuck around and got his reward.

Simplistc way to look at things, as if he had stayed only for "loyalty"... No ban, Arda/Pogba and Vidal signed and able to play from day one, and he would had left, as jds. No one would be bothered, though.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
He received an offer from bayern with a higher salary and was a direct request from pep guardiola himself, To add to all of that pep's brother was his agent.

Thiago had on front of him an ageing Xavi, peak Iniesta and Fabregas who was performing better than him and had no real other position offered to get minutes. The choice he had was that vs being offered a place as central figure in Pep Guardioas new club who were European Champions.

No slight on Roberto and I always supported him but the situations are very different.

About that... people need to come to terms with this. Either Thiago was behaving like a spoiled brat or Pep Guardiola was burning bridges with the club that gave him his life! Or both!!
I'd like to believe it was probably both because it's the same Pep that opted against signing Suarez for peanuts claiming that he would not involve his family with his job as Pep's brother was Suarez's agent too! But he didn't have no qualms this time!!

Tito only did what any self-respecting manager would do.... Not 'guaranteeing' any minutes to Thiago!

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Lucho barely talks to players and he surely didn't promise Roberto anything if he didn't promise Xavi season before.
Reassuring has wide interpretations.

And yeah, Tito had cancer, poor Thiago that didn't get pampered enough.

JamDav1982

Sure. But Enrique reassured him, as he needed Roberto, because of the ban. If not for that I doubt Bob'd still be here.

He didnt play all that much football last season for Barca though and would legitimately been thinking he was never going to be given a chance which needs the coach to tell him if he is needed.

Thiago got a lot of minutes to prove himself, plenty of opportunity to get up pecking order and he couldnt do it. I dont blame Tito for not pandering to him and promising him anything the following season.

Thiago got his chance that season and did not take it. Sergi was being promised his chance and has taken it in a greater fashion.

Still think Thiago had the tougher team to break in to but he never managed it.

JamDav1982

Lucho barely talks to players and he surely didn't promise Roberto anything if he didn't promise Xavi season before.
Reassuring has wide interpretations.

And yeah, Tito had cancer, poor Thiago that didn't get pampered enough.

Lucho told him he would get more chances and convinced him he would get games at RB. He has said that himself.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
That's still not any guarantee. And does nothing to previous seasons Roberto was here, had't played and still stuck around.

F

Flavia

He didnt play all that much football last season for Barca though and would legitimately been thinking he was never going to be given a chance which needs the coach to tell him if he is needed.

Thiago got a lot of minutes to prove himself, plenty of opportunity to get up pecking order and he couldnt do it. I dont blame Tito for not pandering to him and promising him anything the following season.

Thiago got his chance that season and did not take it. Sergi was being promised his chance and has taken it in a greater fashion.

Still think Thiago had the tougher team to break in to but he never managed it.

You know I agree with you on this, right? I don't blame Tito for preferring Cesc. Trained him when he was a kid, liked his style, and thought he was the better player. Just bothers me when people ignore that as reason for Thiago to leave. As if their careers mean less than "loyalty".

JamDav1982

You know I agree with you on this, right? I don't blame Tito for preferring Cesc. Trained him when he was a kid, liked his style, and thought he was the better player. Just bothers me when people ignore that as reason for Thiago to leave. As if their careers mean less than "loyalty".

I know but I think there is a difference in Tito speaking to Thiago when he shouldnt have needed to as he gave him plenty of opportunities vs Lucho speaking to Roberto to promise him those opportunities.

Probably both made the correct decision for their careers and I dont consider Thiago a traitor at all. Just he gave up a bit quickly if anything but he had a phenomenal offer on the table from Pep.

F

Flavia

That's still not any guarantee. And does nothing to previous seasons Roberto was here, had't played and still stuck around.

So the coach telling him he'd have more minutes is not a guarantee... right. Guess if he told he wouldn't guarantee anything it'd be a bad thing, then? Roberto also said in the same interview he'd see how things were in the end of the season, and that he'd do what would be best for himself.

They kinda do mean less if you are a Barca fan. There's a bigger picture here.

We are fans. That's their profession. This is a huge difference. A footballers's lifetime is shorter than most professions. They need to make their choices evaluating what's best for them, not the clubs.

JamDav1982

Thiago stuck around for seasons in past when had offers as well.

Those past seasons are largely irrelevant though as we are discussing the point where both seriously considered leaving when in first team squad.

More than any loyalty their decisions were made on right decisions for their careers.

Home of Barca Fans