Thiago Alcantara

PaCmAn

Michu has never been called up for La Roja.

Juan Mata had an exceptional season for Chelsea and he still barely gets any minutes. If it was truly Mazinho's desire to see Thiago shine @ the 2014 World Cup, they would stay and fight for their spot in Barcelona and try to outplay Cesc every chance they get. With that said, Cesc is a beast of a midfielder.

I think Del Bosque has Cazorla next in line after Xavi and I don't see his play dropping off anytime soon. He's paid his dues on La Roja's bench to be the next in line.

This.

Juan Mata had an exceptional season for Chelsea and he still barely gets any minutes. If it was truly Mazinho's desire to see Thiago shine @ the 2014 World Cup, they would stay and fight for their spot in Barcelona and try to outplay Cesc every chance they get. With that said, Cesc is a beast of a midfielder.

I think Del Bosque has Cazorla next in line after Xavi and I don't see his play dropping off anytime soon. He's paid his dues on La Roja's bench to be the next in line.

You sure? I swear Michu was called up to one of the squads last season? weren't spanish coaches pictured at swansea games watching him before hand? apologies if i got that wrong could have sworn he was though.

Mata plays in a different position to Thiago, its not really a worthy comparison, Mata is competing for 2 wide spots with the likes of Pedro, Silva, Carzola etc, Thiago would be competing with a declining and ageing Xabi Alonso and an ageing Xavi whos had fitness problems recently etc, theres far more chance for Thiago if things go his way than Mata.

But thats the point, hes been there fighting for 2 years since cesc showed up, and hes not getting the game time he wants, the situation hasnt changed, it dosnt matter how well thiago trains as soon as the big games come round and everyone's fit who does Vilanova pick? we all know who he picks, Xavi and Iniesta are 2 of the first names on the team sheet, how does Thiago prove himself when the only way he gets his chance to is if others are injured?? its easy to say stay and fight for your place but when your behind legends like Xavi your never fighting for the position so to speak, your just waiting in the wings if something goes wrong, you know thats true as well as i do.

From a fans point of view i totally get where your coming from, im sure youd love him to sit and wait and be there to take over when Xavi decides to call it a day, but for the player himself maybe he dosnt want to wait another 2 maybe 3 years for this to happen when he dosnt need to.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

Michu was pretty damn close to being called up so it's not like he wasn't considered.

At Barcelona how would he get any time to play for the WC. Even if he outshines Cesc, he might get an extra 3-4 games max. That's hardly enough to make an impression on Del Bosque. At United he would be the boss of the midfield, literally. He'd have such a huge influence on the play (similar to with the u21's) and will very likely get Del Bosque to take a look at him at the very least.

Cazorla is not a secondary Xavi and VDB knows that. In fact there is no one in the squad who can emulate that role other than Xavi. He plays Cazorla occasionally in small games when resting Xavi but he knows that there is no one in the squad capable of actually replacing him when needed. If Thiago shows that he's worthy, he'd be a great backup option.

No offense, DeGea Loves Doughnuts but I can tell you don't know very much about Spanish Football.

Im a big fan of it and watch it regularly, sorry if i got the Michu bit wrong i was sure he was called up, i remember a big thing being made of Del Bosque going to watch him at swansea, maybe i imagined it lol

Im not claiming to know as much as you guys, of course i dont, again sorry if it came across that way.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
You sure? I swear Michu was called up to one of the squads last season? weren't spanish coaches pictured at swansea games watching him before hand? apologies if i got that wrong could have sworn he was though.

Mata plays in a different position to Thiago, its not really a worthy comparison, Mata is competing for 2 wide spots with the likes of Pedro, Silva, Carzola etc, Thiago would be competing with a declining and ageing Xabi Alonso and an ageing Xavi whos had fitness problems recently etc, theres far more chance for Thiago if things go his way than Mata.

But thats the point, hes been there fighting for 2 years since cesc showed up, and hes not getting the game time he wants, the situation hasnt changed, it dosnt matter how well thiago trains as soon as the big games come round and everyone's fit who does Vilanova pick? we all know who he picks, Xavi and Iniesta are 2 of the first names on the team sheet, how does Thiago prove himself when the only way he gets his chance to is if others are injured?? its easy to say stay and fight for your place but when your behind legends like Xavi your never fighting for the position so to speak, your just waiting in the wings if something goes wrong, you know thats true as well as i do.

From a fans point of view i totally get where your coming from, im sure youd love him to sit and wait and be there to take over when Xavi decides to call it a day, but for the player himself maybe he dosnt want to wait another 2 maybe 3 years for this to happen when he dosnt need to.

Michu has never even had a single call-up. La Liga viewers were very familiar with Michu before his last season with Swansea, he played just as well with Rayo Vallecano. He wasn't even called up for the provisional squad where Del Bosque had to make 3 cuts for his current Confederations Cup squad.

Last edited:

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Michu was pretty damn close to being called up so it's not like he wasn't considered.

At Barcelona how would he get any time to play for the WC. Even if he outshines Cesc, he might get an extra 3-4 games max. That's hardly enough to make an impression on Del Bosque. At United he would be the boss of the midfield, literally. He'd have such a huge influence on the play (similar to with the u21's) and will very likely get Del Bosque to take a look at him at the very least.

Cazorla is not a secondary Xavi and VDB knows that. In fact there is no one in the squad who can emulate that role other than Xavi. He plays Cazorla occasionally in small games when resting Xavi but he knows that there is no one in the squad capable of actually replacing him when needed. If Thiago shows that he's worthy, he'd be a great backup option.

Michu didn't even make the provisional squad. Del Bosque did a keep an eye on him the whole year just like he did with guys like Susaeta and Ruben Castro.

I'll have to agree to disagree with you about Thiago getting more minutes in the 2014 World Cup by moving to England and playing a more direct style with Man U. Del Bosque doesn't like to change too many things up if he doesn't have to. The thing it really does is give Cesc more time to shine.

Last edited:

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Im a big fan of it and watch it regularly, sorry if i got the Michu bit wrong i was sure he was called up, i remember a big thing being made of Del Bosque going to watch him at swansea, maybe i imagined it lol

Im not claiming to know as much as you guys, of course i dont, again sorry if it came across that way.

It's all good, amigo.

Michu has never even had a single call-up. La Liga viewers were very familiar with Michu before his last season with Swansea, he played just as well with Rayo Vallecano. He was even called up for the provisional squad where Del Bosque had to make 3 cuts for his current Confederations Cup squad.

Ok he wasn't called up, my mistake and i apologise, but he was heavily considered and looked at by Del Bosque due to his performances at Swansea, which was more my point, someone who wouldnt usually be considered was because he was playing well, it applied to Michu and it applies to Thiago, i just dont agree that you can dismiss his chances so quickly a year before a tournament.

Let me ask you this, if Xavi and or Alonso for example pick up injury's and miss next summers world cup and Thiago has a great season wherever he plays do you not think hed be bang in Del Bosques mind?

:beer2:

Thiago's a different case from Mata. While Mata is massively impressive at Chelsea, he doesn't fit the tiki-taka possession style of play that Spain play. Thiago on the other hand excels at it, I can bet he'd even bring a spark of that into United's buildup play. One really impressive season coupled with decline/injury in other squad members could lead to a WC callup.

Yeah thats my view to. :)

spark

:beer2:

Thiago's a different case from Mata. While Mata is massively impressive at Chelsea, he doesn't fit the tiki-taka possession style of play that Spain play. Thiago on the other hand excels at it, I can bet he'd even bring a spark of that into United's buildup play. One really impressive season coupled with decline/injury in other squad members could lead to a WC callup.

As long as they can walk del Bosque will take his selected midfielders that he took to the last four tournaments. Even not fully recovered he took Cesc(hamstring) Iniesta(hamstring) Torres to Worldcup 2010. Despite Puyol having surgery he wanted him to stay with the team at Euro 2012. Good form or not he will probably take him to Brazil as long as he isnt having surgery this time next year. He waited till the last minute for Villa too and in the end didn't carry a replacement, just gave the number to Pedro, just like he didn't name one for Puyol. In any case why hypothesize about injuries when Thiago himself could get injured in England as happened the last two seasons in a less physical league.

I guess Rosell is looking for a smokescreen hence the delay in this transfer.

News floating around tonight mate that Ancelotti has told Perez he wants Thiago, maybe its the player looking at other offers and the club waiting for him to give the signal of who to deal with?

Dont get the Madrid link myself, if you want minutes before a world cup for a young player surely Real Madrid is the last place you go,not to mention thats spitting in the face of a club thats developed you and fans whove supported you for the most hated rival.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Ok he wasn't called up, my mistake and i apologise, but he was heavily considered and looked at by Del Bosque due to his performances at Swansea, which was more my point, someone who wouldnt usually be considered was because he was playing well, it applied to Michu and it applies to Thiago, i just dont agree that you can dismiss his chances so quickly a year before a tournament.

Let me ask you this, if Xavi and or Alonso for example pick up injury's and miss next summers world cup and Thiago has a great season wherever he plays do you not think hed be bang in Del Bosques mind?

Alonso is already missing this year's Confederations Cup and Del Bosque just abandoned his double-pivot and played a 4-3-3 instead. Don't forget even Isco will be pushing for a spot, no matter where Thiago plays next season. If Alonso misses again, I can see Javi Martinez taking his spot and he will have a year under Pep and even he has paid his dues on the end of the bench for La Roja.

I know La Roja like the back of my hand and there's really no chance Thiago is going to leap-frog even Cazorla for minutes unless he was the EPL Player of the Year or something. What he will be doing is giving Cesc even more minutes and chance for him to solidify himself in the Starting XI for La Roja.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
News floating around tonight mate that Ancelotti has told Perez he wants Thiago, maybe its the player looking at other offers and the club waiting for him to give the signal of who to deal with?

Dont get the Madrid link myself, if you want minutes before a world cup for a young player surely Real Madrid is the last place you go,not to mention thats spitting in the face of a club thats developed you and fans whove supported you for the most hated rival.

I doubt he is even gonna consider an offer from RM. Its clear that he wants to leave and I think Rosell wants another player ready to take the attention away from his and the management's incompetence regarding this transfer.

Its not looking good for Rosell's re-election plans lol.

Alonso is already missing this year's Confederations Cup and Del Bosque just abandoned his double-pivot and played a 4-3-3 instead. Don't forget even Isco will be pushing for a spot, no matter where Thiago plays next season. If Alonso misses again, I can see Javi Martinez taking his spot and he will have a year under Pep and even he has paid his dues on the end of the bench for La Roja.

I know La Roja like the back of my hand and there's really no chance Thiago is going to leap-frog even Cazorla for minutes unless he was the EPL Player of the Year or something. What he will be doing is giving Cesc even more minutes and chance for him to solidify himself in the Starting XI for La Roja.

But again isnt Isco a wide forward much like Mata? wont he be competeing with different players than Thiago? Isco isnt a central midfield player from what ive seen.

Im not saying Thiago will go to the WC if he joins United and has a great year, no one can predict that, all i was saying was a lot can change in the space of 12 months, this time next year no one knows what condition anyone will be in, and to wrtie off the hopes of someone was being a bit premature and assuming.

Thats all i was trying to say.

Home of Barca Fans