Thiago Alcantara

Ghost

Not that fussed about him going if he wants to as he is not one of the best midfielders in the squad.

Yes, he is. No need to be bitter because Thiago is leaving us (because of the board's incompetence), people.

Wish him the best at Man United..

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Rooney wont leave, too much of an icon, at least we wont be selling him voluntarily. Kagawa was shunted out of position and then injured when he was settling, he has not had a chance to be rated.

A player that fits us like a glove would make the champion winning team at a canter, and the season before that on GD, less likely to win? Midfield is our only weakness bar an aging defence.

What happened to the rumor of Rooney + 30 million pounds to bring Ronaldo back to Manchester?

JamDav1982

Yes, he is. No need to be bitter because Thiago is leaving us (because of the board's incompetence), people.

Wish him the best at Man United..

In my opinion he is at best the fourth best midfielder in the squad.

Not being bitter at all its what I think and his move wont mean a drop in quality.

Martindn

What happened to the rumor of Rooney + 30 million pounds to bring Ronaldo back to Manchester?

I personally have not been following this rumor as much, ronaldo coming "home" was all but dead when sir alex retired. Last i heard arsenal wanted him, but If its true hell, crack on i say, rooney has not been the same for a while, fitness and commitment issues abound. Would be really nteresting to see kagawa in a run of games at AMC so i would not be heartbroken if rooney left, i just feel too much change at the club would be dangerous...

isn't Rooney leaving??Kagawa is overrated, Van Persie was out of touch in the last 10 matches of the season and i think he will continue his bad form in next season too, Carrick was impressive though..i think Man utd winning next season looks very unlikely even if Thiago joins them.....

Rooney no one really knows, lots of talk but i dont see him going anywhere myself, dont think hes ever really wanted out either he just had issues with previous managment, Moyes wont want to lose such a big name before he even gets going, Rooneys just had another child and wont want to uproot his family, can only see him staying to be honest.

Kagawa i strongly disagree on, hes the one im most excited about of all, think hes a fantastic player, wouldnt judge him on last season, he spent long periods out injured something like 4 months in total and when he did play he was shunted out on the wing to much, when used properly and fully fit i think he showed at Dortmund how good a player he is, hes actually one of the reasons why i wouldnt be overly bothered if Rooney left, Kagawa would naturally take his number 10 spot and flourish in my view.

Van Persie is world class, he had a quiet period but ended the season strongly, has been top goalscorer in england for the last 2 years running, genuinely wouldnt swap him for any other striker in the world, (Messi isnt a striker hes too good to be so limitedly labelled if that makes sense).

I think if Thiago joins wed have a great chance of winning the prem, we walked it last season, add Thiago a fit Kagawa and an interested Rooney and i think wed be favs, just my view, Chelsea will be our biggest threat, dont rate Citys new boys myself, and they were trash last year.

Last edited:

Ursegor

World Champion
The only problem you guys might have with Thiago in the Premier League is that it is not 100 % clear yet which position suits him best IMO. Barcelona and the Spanish youth national teams monopolize possession, keep the lines close to each other, move forward as a compact unit with short passes and win the ball back immediately by pressing the opponent in packs. In such a system you can play Thiago as a #4 or #10 - it barely matters. Similar to how it doesn't matter in the "Barca system" whether the likes of Mascherano are used as centerbacks or Fabregas as a (false) striker. The Premier League and United are completely different. Thiago is a similar player to Wilshere and Wenger moved Wilshere further forward because otherwise he didn't have enough protection for the back 4. He also had to move Cazorla out wide because he was too lightweight defensively. Now Thiago is an even better and more productive goalscorer and final ball deliverer than Wilshere and I don't see why a 22 year old Brazilian with an ego like he has would settle for a more conservative and tactical "Scholes role" of sitting and dictating the tempo (and killing players without getting carded :lol:) when he has the ability to venture forward and score and assist. In short: You might be buying a player who is more suited to playing in the Kagawa and Rooney role in the Premier League.

Well, I fulfilled my duty. That's all I can do to make the signing a bit more miserable for you guys. :alveshat:

Martindn

Agree with everything completely bar city, rate pellegrini a lot higher than that cretin mancini, just hope they dont get isco, even if its looking like he will join madrid.

The only problem you guys might have with Thiago in the Premier League is that it is not 100 % clear yet which position suits him best IMO.

I think moyes will surprise everyone and put thiago in AMC. Something akin to

Carrick - Cleverley/Strootman
Valencia - Thiago - Kagawa

Thiago/Kagawa would combine so well in the middle, especially with Van persie and hernandez movement.

Last edited:

PaCmAn

Two high ranked Man United executives have talked with Thiago's father on Friday. He has been offered a 5-year deal worth 6M a year. [md]

Man United want to meet with Barcelona now to say they will pay Thiago's 21.7M buyout fee. Thiago also wants final talks with Barcelona [md]

The only problem you guys might have with Thiago in the Premier League is that it is not 100 % clear yet which position suits him best IMO. Barcelona and the Spanish youth national teams monopolize possession, keep the lines close to each other, move forward as a compact unit with short passes and win the ball back immediately by pressing the opponent in packs. In such a system you can play Thiago as a #4 or #10 - it barely matters. Similar to how it doesn't matter in the "Barca system" whether the likes of Mascherano are used as centerbacks or Fabregas as a (false) striker. The Premier League and United are completely different. Thiago is a similar player to Wilshere and Wenger moved Wilshere further forward because otherwise he didn't have enough protection for the back 4. He also had to move Cazorla out wide because he was too lightweight defensively. Now Thiago is an even better and more productive goalscorer and final ball deliverer than Wilshere and I don't see why a 22 year old Brazilian with an ego like he has would settle for a more conservative and tactical "Scholes role" of sitting and dictating the tempo (and killing players without getting carded :lol:) when he has the ability to venture forward and score and assist. In short: You might be buying a player who is more suited to playing in the Kagawa and Rooney role in the Premier League.

Well, I fulfilled my duty. That's all I can do to make the signing a bit more miserable for you guys. :alveshat:

Good points i can see where your coming from but i dont personally think there would be a problem.

From what i saw of Thiago at the U21 tournament hes much more of a Central midfielder than i previously thought he was, i always got the impression he was more of a free spirited roamer if that makes sense, not a number 10 specifically but a player who needed the cover of 2 other midfielders to cover his space while he expressed himself further forward, basically someone with freedom in a 3 man central midfield ala Barcelona. Yet what i saw with Spain was what i saw Carrick do for us last season, he was picking the ball up off the centre backs regularly, dictating the game from deep central positions with passing out wide and through balls for the forwards, and at times being visibly the deepest midfielder on the pitch, i was very surprised with how deep he played i must admit, he reminded me of a young Scholes the way he was pinging the ball left to right and playing his one touch stuff, and that encouraged me hed have no problem at United where Carrick would do all those things deeper and allow Thiago to get forward and influence the final third much like Scholes used to do in his prime when Keane would sit and cover his space, late runs into the box both creating and scoring goals whilst a more conservative partner sat deeper, i dont see why a Carrick-Thiago midfield pairing would have any issues at all but we'll wait and see if it even gets that far.

DannyG

Agree with everything completely bar city, rate pellegrini a lot higher than that cretin mancini, just hope they dont get isco, even if its looking like he will join madrid.

Thiago/Kagawa would combine so well in the middle, especially with Van persie and hernandez movement.
Then United will still have a similar problem further back. In my opinion I don't think Rooney truly wants to leave and I think he had a heated argument with Ferguson about his playing time etc but I don't think he actually wants to leave so I think he will stay.

From what I've seen from Thiago I think he's better further back. If I was United manager and I signed him I would play him next to Carrick but slightly further forward like when Cleverley plays there. I think that would be better for Man U.

Dont get me wrong Pellegrini is a massive upgrade on that fraud Mancini most would be, my point was more they were awful for most of last season right across the board, from getting humiliated in Europe (worst performance ever by an english club) getting thumped out of domestic cup competitions by lowly Villa at home and putting up one of the most feeble title defences in living memory, even with us having multiple defensive crisis's (think thats a word??) we had the title won be the first week of February! easiest title win in nearly a decade of premier league football!

For me their squad is HUGELY overrated and im not a fan of either of their new signings, theres a reason why nobody has touched Fernandinio his whole career to the point where hes now 28 and spent nearly a decade in the back waters of the Ukrainian division, hint hint? dont be fooled by his laughably high price tag and the fact hes got 'inho' at the end of his name, if he was anything special one of europes giants or even the newly noveu riche clubs would have snapped him up, theres also a clue in the fact he cant even make the Brazilian national team squad! 5 caps in his whole career for a 28 year old lol, city got mugged, Navas to me isnt going to suit the epl one little bit either, Reyes mark 2 with less talent, again theres a reason why no one else went in for him other than city even though everyone knew sevilla needed cash and were willing to sell at a cut rate price.

In my view Chelsea are the main threat, if we get Thiago and keep what weve got i dont see City finishing ahead of us or anywhere close personally.

Martindn

Then United will still have a similar problem further back. In my opinion I don't think Rooney truly wants to leave and I think he had a heated argument with Ferguson about his playing time etc but I don't think he actually wants to leave so I think he will stay.

From what I've seen from Thiago I think he's better further back. If I was United manager and I signed him I would play him next to Carrick but slightly further forward like when Cleverley plays there. I think that would be better for Man U.

Apparently he conversed with Sir alex about his future playing time, at least that is rooneys side of the conversation, he may just be trying to appease the fans who knows, if its true he asked to leave again well he knows where the door is can fuck off to arsenal or w/e - once bitten twice shy and all that.

I would play him in CM too, however we may have signed strootman too and as rare as it is for us we cant play them all, by all accounts Thiago operates best at 10, too offensively minded for a 2 man CM. Putting him in attacking positions with strootman behind may work better, id be interested to see what moyes does.

Your a spurs fan right? You remember the game at old trafford, thats what happens when carrick is left to do the work himself, watching bale run through the center of the park like no one was there was kind of shit lol.

Home of Barca Fans