Thiago Alcantara

Messi983

We got Pique back for 5M, not 80M, no comparision here.

I've never really liked Thiago anyway and I don't think he's what we need. We have similar type of player in Arthur who is younger and (hopefully) less injury prone. I prefer to give him a chance and bring another type of midfielder.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
There is a comparison to be made if you don't want to be hypocritical like some irrational fans can be.

Pique left for $$$ as a kid where Barca stood no chance to do anything as you cannot sign a professional contract in Spain until you're 18. Pretty damn similar to the La Masia exodus of late where everyone are saying they should never be brought back.

Thiago stayed and left for regular minutes playing week in and out, and Barca made some good money off a bench player as they said back in 2013, 24 or 25m.

Anyway, bringing in another profile is nice, but not if it's an inferior player whose different profile doesn't improve our chances of major success considerably.

That's again, irrational fan behavior, but hey, that's what opinions are for. I prob exhibit the same irrationality from time to time too, like most fans do.

Last edited:

Devils

Even if he's injured for half the season, he'd be a much better addition than someone like Jorginho who has shown he is nowhere near Thiago's level. I definitely rate him as an elite midfielder, definitely superior to Pjanic. Not at the level of some of the absolute best, but definitely a great addition. We're selling scrubs like Paulinho for 50m, hopefully Mina for 40m and we're supposed to hesitate if Thiago is available for 60m?

Silly logic.

You'd put a guy who is injured as much as him who has been averaging missing over 15 games per season since he joined Bayern over a very good midfielder who is reliable and can play the entire season

This is like saying you'd choose Thiago over Rakitic, just because Thiago might have superior technical qualities, whereas any club would take Rakitic who can play 45+ games a season and be very good over that time.

I find it hilarious that you flip your lid when we get linked to 29 year old players, who have little to no injury history, and run with the narrative that it is stupid to give them 4 year contracts, but you are over the moon giving a big contract and high wages to a 27 year old made of glass who is pretty much is guaranteed to miss over 1/3 of the season at least.

Makes little to no sense and thankfully there are people at the club who realize this.

Last edited:

George_Costanza

^^^

What's the point of playing 45+ games for a season when the player is only good in less than half of them and being of little benefit to the team in so many games? I would rather have a player who plays above average even if it means he plays only 25-30 games per season.

Devils

^^^

What's the point of playing 45+ games for a season when the player is only good in less than half of them and being of little benefit to the team in so many games? I would rather have a player who plays above average even if it means he plays only 25-30 games per season.

Rakitic or Jorginho were not only good for half of the games during the season, they were very good in most games and were amongst the standout players of both their teams.

What's the point of paying an employee a huge salary and offering a long working contract if they are going to be unable to work for a large portion of the year?

Last edited:

Raketa10

Rakitic or Jorginho were not only good for half of the games during the season, they were very good in most games and were amongst the standout players of both their teams.

What's the point of paying an employee a huge salary and offering a long working contract if they are going to be unable to work for a large portion of the year?

Devils I agree with you on some aspects but the thing is we need another experienced midfielder and there is none on the market except Thiago. If he stays healthy he will contribute much for sure and he will do it immediately. I wouldn’t sign him for any price though but I am sure Bayern is well aware no one will pay much more than 40 mil since it’s just too risky. If we can sign him for that amount I would do it immediately. But if they request more than 50 mil or if he has some absurd salary request I would pass.

Last edited:

Devils

Devils I agree with you on some aspects but the thing is we need another experienced midfielder and there is none on the market except Thiago. If he stays healthy he will contribute much for sure and he will do it immediately. I wouldn’t sign him for any price though but I am sure Bayern is well aware no one will pay much more than 40 mil since it’s just too risky. If we can sign him for that amount I would do it immediately. But if they request more than 50 mil or if he has some absurd salary request I would pass.

Sure. Everyone has a price and it needs to be reasonable.

Onto your point about him being healthy...

1) Thiago has never had an injury free season, he's had more terribly injury ridden seasons than not as a player and he's only 27. Whether people like to hear it or not, Thiago is on the same injury level plane as players like Gundogan, Wilshire or Kompany.

2) As he gets into his late 20s and early 30s (the contract duration he would sign for Barca), it is very likely that he becomes more injury prone with age.

3) a player with his injury history is likely to decline faster than your average player.

These are all of course predicted scenarios, but what I am saying is, these predicted scenarios are more likely than the alternative, which is him staying healthy and becoming a consistent world class player who will run our midfield over the course of a season.

Last edited:

Catta

Thiago stayed and left for regular minutes playing week in and out, and Barca made some good money off a bench player as they said back in 2013, 24 or 25m.

That is not true, he didn't leave for regular minutes, he left because at that time Barca seemed like a sinking ship, while Peps Bayern was considered the biggest force in football. The competition for places at Bayern was the same as at Barca at that time. If he wanted minutes he would have left for United or any other English club that was after him.

Thiago is also not such a world class player like most of you think, he still has not even reached Cescs level, let alone Xavi or Iniesta. Cesc was brought back for around 35 mil, and Thiago should be around that price, everything over 40 is to much for him, even in this crazy market.

Raketa10

Sure. Everyone has a price and it needs to be reasonable.

Onto your point about him being healthy...

1) Thiago has never had an injury free season, he's had more terribly injury ridden seasons than not as a player and he's only 27. Whether people like to hear it or not, Thiago is on the same injury level plane as players like Gundogan, Wilshire or Kompany.

2) As he gets into his late 20s and early 30s (the contract duration he would sign for Barca), it is very likely that he becomes more injury prone with age.

3) a player with his injury history is likely to decline faster than your average player.

These are all of course predicted scenarios, but what I am saying is, these predicted scenarios are more likely than the alternative, which is him staying healthy and becoming a consistent world class player who will run our midfield over the course of a season.

Well yeah that’s a possible scenario, this is the main reason his price needs to be resonable.

Joan

What bothers me about Thiago... all of a sudden he wants to come back now that Bayern doesn't want him, but didn't move a finger last season and renewed his contract.

Devils

What bothers me about Thiago... all of a sudden he wants to come back now that Bayern doesn't want him, but didn't move a finger last season and renewed his contract.

He missed 20 games last season and was for injured for 125 days.

My guess would be that Bayern have come to realization that they need to build a midfield that doesn't rely on Thiago and are going to try that with Goretzka and possibly Renato.

Thiago doesn't want to accept not being a starter and now wants to look elsewhere. He probably realizes that his career is stagnating at both the domestic and international level.

Joan

He missed 20 games last season and was for injured for 125 days.

My guess would be that Bayern have come to realization that they need to build a midfield that doesn't rely on Thiago and are going to try that with Goretzka and possibly Renato.

Thiago doesn't want to accept not being a starter and now wants to look elsewhere. He probably realizes that his career is stagnating at both the domestic and international level.
I've already posted this stat, but it's amazing enough. He played 152 matches for Bayern missing 112... that's unbelievable.

Yes, I don't think they hired Niko Kovač for nothing. Know he wasn't their first pick, but it's obvious they're looking for a change. Don't see how Thiago fits his plans.

More likely they aren't getting any offers.

Devils

I've already posted this stat, but it's amazing enough. He played 152 matches for Bayern missing 112... that's unbelievable.

Yes, I don't think they hired Niko Kovač for nothing. Know he wasn't their first pick, but it's obvious they're looking for a change. Don't see how Thiago fits his plans.

More likely they aren't getting any offers.

Missing 42% of the games over 5 years at a club is insane.

Jombi

^of course, there will never be a quote. There is not even a quote for our board's intention to sell Vidal. Clubs never share their plans.

Your examples are mistakes, should we do the same? You know he is on high wages and you know we are struggling in this aspect? Absolutely nobody said that Thiago is not a good player. It was never about his ability or quality.

OK, I misunderstood you when you said that Bayern's board want to give Thiago's minutes to Renato Augusto.

Thiago is a really great player. 60m for him is incredible value in this market. Thats why I would be elated if our board pull that off. Bayern's loss.

George_Costanza

Missing 42% of the games over 5 years at a club is insane.

That's not fair, if you want to make an accurate comparison it should be the past 2 or 3 seasons. 5 years ago is a long time, and at that time half of Bayern players have the same injury issues. It was controversial that led to firing the medical staff.

Home of Barca Fans