Thiago Alcantara

Jombi

Makes perfect sense.

Bayern has over 8 midfielders in the squad, Thiago has had huge issues with injuries, is no longer even guaranteed a starting spot and has never lived up to the level that most expected of him when he was younger. Like I said, he's not on any higher level to what Cesc Fabregas was at his age.

On top of all that (as DonAK) posted both Uli and KHR have said they are going to sell midfielders.

But keep deluding to yourself that Bayern are going to demand hundreds of millions for him.

Never have I said that "hundreds of millions" is needed. Thats something you make up again, just like your Lemar for 100m+ nonsense.

You bring up flops like Gotze and Benatia as proof that they are willing to sell. Thats besides the point. If Bayern see Thiago as crucial for their future, they wont simply get rid of him. "Selling midfielders" is very different than them claiming that Thiago is for sale. If they dont want him, we should be running to get him. Thats a rock bottom price for a player far superior to anything else than can be had for that price.

Devils

Never have I said that "hundreds of millions" is needed. Thats something you make up again, just like your Lemar for 100m+ nonsense.

You bring up flops like Gotze and Benatia as proof that they are willing to sell. Thats besides the point. If Bayern see Thiago as crucial for their future, they wont simply get rid of him. "Selling midfielders" is very different than them claiming that Thiago is for sale. If they dont want him, we should be running to get him. Thats a rock bottom price for a player far superior to anything else than can be had for that price.

The only one speaking nonsense here is you mate. Once again crying and whining how players are attainable despite everything pointing to otherwise.

[tw]1021861333082488832[/tw]

Jombi

The only one speaking nonsense here is you mate. Once again crying and whining how players are attainable despite everything pointing to otherwise.

[tw]1021861333082488832[/tw]

I dont see any "crying and whining" here. I just see a discussion. No reason to get so upset about this. I've said numerous times that we should absolutely sign Thiago for such a rock bottom price. Bayern would be foolish to sell at that price in this market. The fact that you use Lemar as an indication that Thiago should be cheaper than him just proves my point. I have yet to see any indication that he is actually available for such a price though.

Devils

I dont see any "crying and whining" here. I just see a discussion. No reason to get so upset about this. I've said numerous times that we should absolutely sign Thiago for such a rock bottom price. Bayern would be foolish to sell at that price in this market. The fact that you use Lemar as an indication that Thiago should be cheaper than him just proves my point. I have yet to see any indication that he is actually available for such a price though.

'Rock bottom'

Again with the bs lol...50-70m is rock bottom for a player who at the prime age of 27 couldn't get into Spain's starting team over the likes of 34 yr old Iniesta or 32 yr old Silva, is now being deemed by his club manager a possibly being an excess to the team and who's directors have hinted of being for sale and on top of that being ridiculously injury prone through his entire career.

You make it sound like it's the task of signing prime Luka Modric...

Maybe, jut maybe, these directors and managers don't value Thiago anywhere near the level you make him out to be and maybe 50-70m for him isn't so ridiculous given players at a similar level to him i.e. Jorginho, Keita, Fabinho have all had transfer fees in that range this window.

Last edited:

Icarium

Lifestealer
We need a midfielder for sure, he is better than all our targets so far. Unless we come up with better names thiago is our only option. PSG won't sell rabiot, even if they did is he a better fit to barca? I don't think so. He even has attitude problems. 70m isn't that high in this market anymore, people need to face the reality. Same people asking 40m for Mina who barely played 6 matches for us. A defender that too. Thiago was a starter for Bayern.

Last edited:

Jombi

'Rock bottom'

Again with the bs lol...50-70m is rock bottom for a player who at the prime age of 27 couldn't get into Spain's starting team over the likes of 34 yr old Iniesta or 32 yr old Silva, is now being deemed by his club manager a possibly being an excess to the team and who's directors have hinted of being for sale and on top of that being ridiculously injury prone through his entire career.

You make it sound like it's the task of signing prime Luka Modric...

Maybe, jut maybe, these directors and managers don't value Thiago anywhere near the level you make him out to be and maybe 50-70m for him isn't so ridiculous given players at a similar level to him i.e. Jorginho, Keita, Fabinho have all had transfer fees in that range this window.

Even if we ignore that the Bayern chairman dismissed the Thiago rumors as nonsense just a few days ago and said that he is staying, 50-70m is crazy low in this market. I'd love to see it be true. Thiago is on a completely different level than Jorginho while players like Keita and Fabinho come from small selling clubs and are value signings. Of course they are not going to cost 150m. Thats why I wanted us to sign those two last summer. They would offer value in the market, low risk high reward type of signings as they are not established stars.

Thiago for 60m is a no brainer.

Last edited:

Devils

Even if we ignore that the Bayern chairman dismissed the Thiago rumors as nonsense just a few days ago and that he is staying, 50-70m is crazy low in this market. I'd love to see it be true. Thiago is on a completely different level than Jorginho while players like Keita and Fabinho come from small selling clubs and are value signings. Of course they are not going to cost 150m. Thats why I wanted us to sign those two last summer. They would offer value in the market, low risk high reward type of signings as they are not established stars.

Thiago for 60m is a no brainer.

You see Thiago for that price as being unbelievable bargain bin deal too good to pass.

Meanwhile, the first thing that any club professional when looking into his valuation will see this:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/thiago/verletzungen/spieler/60444

Now I shouldn't need to tell you that:

1) A player who is as injured as much as he is not a player you would want to have a significant midfield reliance on, hence why Bayern are likely trying to offload him.
2) A player who has an injury history as big as his will have a devaluation on his transfer fee
3) Players generally don't get less injury prone as they get older, in fact their injury rate tends to increase. So when assessing giving a fat 5 year contract with big wages to a very injury prone 27 year old, proper risk assessment will have to be conducted.
4) Players who are highly injury prone decline faster

This guy come with big risk. Much bigger risk than someone like Jorginho who has basically never had a injury at the professional level.

So thinking someone like Thiago, who in reality isn't even on the level of the elite midfielders and has huge injury problems, is worth astronomical fees is this market is more unreasonable than not.

Last edited:

Jombi

You see Thiago for that price as being unbelievable bargain bin deal too good to pass.

Meanwhile, the first thing that any club professional when looking into his valuation will see this:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/thiago/verletzungen/spieler/60444

Now I shouldn't need to tell you that:

1) A player who is as injured as much as he is not a player you would want to have a significant midfield reliance on, hence why Bayern are likely trying to offload him.
2) A player who has an injury history as big as his will have a devaluation on his transfer fee
3) Players generally don't get less injury prone as they get older, in fact their injury rate tends to increase. So when assessing giving a fat 5 year contract with big wages to a very injury prone 27 year old, proper risk assessment will have to be conducted.
4) Players who are highly injury prone decline faster

This guy come with big risk. Much bigger risk than someone like Jorginho who has basically never had a injury at the professional level.

So thinking someone like Thiago, who in reality isn't even on the level of the elite midfielders and has huge injury problems, is worth astronomical fees is this market is more unreasonable than not.

Even if he's injured for half the season, he'd be a much better addition than someone like Jorginho who has shown he is nowhere near Thiago's level. I definitely rate him as an elite midfielder, definitely superior to Pjanic. Not at the level of some of the absolute best, but definitely a great addition. We're selling scrubs like Paulinho for 50m, hopefully Mina for 40m and we're supposed to hesitate if Thiago is available for 60m?

FC433

^ Thiago needs us more than we need him. He is not the golden boy anymore, and Pep is not there to protect him. Munich's board know well that his price is not getting any higher next season and they would rather give minutes to R. Sanchez who they bought for a huge fee according to their standards.

There are just plenty of reasons not to spend anything above 50m and even 50m seems a bit too much for his current situation. When we needed him just a year ago he extended his contract and at the end of last season when was criticized, he realized what he just did. He is not essential to us anymore because he is kind of a quick fix that we should not go after. In a couple of years, we need a new CDM and we have yet to have an attacking CM and a central CM. Alena, Coutinho and Arthur are our priorities now, I would not mind Thiago though as a luxury signing.

He should push his way out if he wants to have a decent career just like he did back then.

Jombi

^ Thiago needs us more than we need him. He is not the golden boy anymore, and Pep is not there to protect him. Munich's board know well that his price is not getting any higher next season and they would rather give minutes to R. Sanchez

Where have you read this? Renato Sanches who couldnt hack it in Swansea instead of Thiago. Thats a bold move.

FC433

^ he did well in the friendlies and they cannot get rid of him because of his wages. And you do realize that Thiago would never accept to be a sub? and Munich is not willing to sacrifice their season for Thiago who could potentially get injured when he is much needed.

James was bought for only 55m when he was 26, why would we spend anything above 50m?

Jombi

^ he did well in the friendlies and they cannot get rid of him because of his wages. And you do realize that Thiago would never accept to be a sub? and Munich is not willing to sacrifice their season for Thiago who could potentially get injured when he is much needed.

James was bought for only 55m when he was 26, why would we spend anything above 50m?

I was interested in the quote that Bayern's board would rather give the minutes to Renato Sanches instead of Thiago...

Paulinho was bought for 50m, Lemar for 70m, Gylfi Sigurdsson for 50m, so I guess Thiago for anything above 50m would be too much? Its a similar question you posed.

Thiago is a class player, end of discussion. I get that people dont want to spend much because he left us, but thats totally different.

FC433

^of course, there will never be a quote. There is not even a quote for our board's intention to sell Vidal. Clubs never share their plans.

Your examples are mistakes, should we do the same? You know he is on high wages and you know we are struggling in this aspect? Absolutely nobody said that Thiago is not a good player. It was never about his ability or quality.

Neeraj

Looking at the situation, I don't see any reason why Barca and Bayern can't come up with an agreeable price for the sale of Thiago. If I was Bayern, I may look to offload him too; he's just a very risky expensive asset to have, considering his injuries and they have many other midfielders to cover his position.

Barca are desperately looking to get some panache back into the midfield, and might be happy to get him back at the right price. It's one of those potentially win-win deal from the two clubs' perspective.

My personal view is that though he's a very good player, he's just too injury prone. There's just no denying that, and it's too risky a move unless we get a really good deal, at which point it might be worth the gamble.

MTL_Barca

Looking at the situation, I don't see any reason why Barca and Bayern can't come up with an agreeable price for the sale of Thiago. If I was Bayern, I may look to offload him too; he's just a very risky expensive asset to have, considering his injuries and they have many other midfielders to cover his position.

Barca are desperately looking to get some panache back into the midfield, and might be happy to get him back at the right price. It's one of those potentially win-win deal from the two clubs' perspective.

My personal view is that though he's a very good player, he's just too injury prone. There's just no denying that, and it's too risky a move unless we get a really good deal, at which point it might be worth the gamble.

Bayern doesn't want to offload him tho, there is a difference between letting someone go for the right price and wanting to get rid of him. With Thiago its the first one so i don't think they would sell for pennies.

Its the same with Boateng, with him they are even very open about selling (never said anything like that about Thiago) but still demand like 60+ mil.

The midfielder they really want to sell is Vidal.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans