Italy

pEllee

But he did the right thing in changing tactics for instance, also got unlucky with Balotelli acting like an idiot, Marchisio getting sent off and Immobile/Verratti both having to come off with cramps.

I don't know about that. What did it achieve really? They looked a lot more solid defensively but that's where all the positives end. We've seen earlier how they struggle to create chances because of how isolated their strikers are. And playing with defensive wingbacks and two, sometimes three deep lying midfielders who don't move forward off the ball makes it even more difficult for Balotelli (and Immobile in this game)

If they want that many ball-playing midfielders who all want the ball in deep midfield then they've got to to play a less narrow formation with ball carriers such as Cerci or someone like Candreva.

I don't like to see teams that play for a draw either. I still maintain that they would have managed it with 11 men on the field but I just don't like the approach.

Last edited:

XaviMessiGirl

3-5-2 is far from my favorite formation either, I would have preferred to see a 4-3-3 as such:

Darmian - Barzagli - Chiellini - De Sciglio
Verratti - Pirlo - Marchisio
Candreva - Balo/Immobile - Cerci/Insigne​

But what I meant was that he showed a will to change, rather than being tactically stubborn - which is why for example, Juventus struggled in Europe. And it was a big improvement over what was put out against Costa Rica.

XaviMessiGirl

Yeah, really sad that it might have been Pirlo and Buffon's last international match... just like Xavi with Spain. Neither will have good memories about the end of their international careers.

pEllee

3-5-2 is far from my favorite formation either, I would have preferred to see a 4-3-3 as such:

Darmian - Barzagli - Chiellini - De Sciglio
Verratti - Pirlo - Marchisio
Candreva - Balo/Immobile - Cerci/Insigne​

But what I meant was that he showed a will to change, rather than being tactically stubborn - which is why for example, Juventus struggled in Europe. And it was a big improvement over what was put out against Costa Rica.

Ye, I also would have preferred a 4-3-3 with those players. In Prandelli's defense, he did try something similar in the second half against Costa Rica but Cerci, Insigne and Candreva all let him down and underperformed so I suppose that came into mind when he changed the formation.

Not to mention that they do look more comfortable defending in a 3-5-2 and that the formation is a good choice against teams with two strikers. They just didn't have the players out there that could offer anything offensively. Prandelli really did nothing to change that and only made it worse. Balotelli off for...Parolo? :facepalm:

Mancini is currently unemployed and I know that he has previously said that he is interested in managing Italy. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets the job.

XaviMessiGirl

If Insigne hadn't played so poorly against Costa Rica I bet he would have come on today. He has a history of partnering well with Immobile that was shown as recently as a couple weeks ago against Fluminense. I didn't understand the Parolo sub either, I understand taking Balotelli off as he was a liability but I would have thrown on another forward there.

I don't think Mancini is the right man for the job, nor is Zaccheroni, Allegri or anyone else that has been brought up. The "best" option out of the rumors is probably Spalletti, but meh. Depending on whether Conte shows he learned from his mistakes on the European stage with Juve next season, he might be a tempting option for Euro 2016. Maybe also Vincenzo Montella.

XaviMessiGirl

Cannavaro said he'd be interested in coaching the Azzurri if he was asked... that has the potential to either be really awesome or really awful. Always a gamble with young inexperienced coaches, no matter if they were a legend as a player or not. Might be better for him to get some experience at club level first, but I can't say I wouldn't be really curious how he'd do.

Chainsaw

Killahead
I don't think Mancini is the right man for the job, nor is Zaccheroni, Allegri or anyone else that has been brought up. The "best" option out of the rumors is probably Spalletti, but meh. Depending on whether Conte shows he learned from his mistakes on the European stage with Juve next season, he might be a tempting option for Euro 2016. Maybe also Vincenzo Montella.

Mancini's record is better than all those names. Plus what he has above them all is that he makes his teams defensively solid. Zaccheroni is a terrible coach. I think he was Japan's main problem in the WC. With a better coach they could do much better IMO.

XaviMessiGirl

Cannavaro and immobile together....should I hold you Lindsay? :pep:

:w000t:

Mancini's record is better than all those names. Plus what he has above them all is that he makes his teams defensively solid. Zaccheroni is a terrible coach. I think he was Japan's main problem in the WC. With a better coach they could do much better IMO.

Well, at least if Mancini was coach, Balotelli's Azzurri career would likely be over. :D But I don't think they have a good enough defense for Mancini tactics to be that effective.

barcanuck

Serie A may change to 18 teams and also introduce B teams. Finally they realized their league is not top 3 anymore.

Home of Barca Fans