24 - Thomas Vermaelen

xXKonan

Thomas Vermaelen regrets staying at FC Barcelona this summer

-The Belgian knows not playing could harm his chances of a World Cup place

-He spoke to journalists in his country and admitted he made a mistake

Belgian centre-back Thomas Vermaelen has a big chance of leaving Barcelona in the winter window, in search of a team that will play him. The player decided to stay at the Catalan club last summer after Ernesto Valverde convinced him to. The coach said he wanted him in the squad as one of four centre-backs and that he counted on him. But in the hour of truth, Vermaelen has had few minutes. With the winter window around the corner, the player is conscious that he needs to leave to get game time ahead of the summer World Cup.

The defender is always included in Roberto Martinez's squad. However at 31 years old, Vermaelen needs game time. He regrets staying.

"In the summer I thought it would be positive to stay at Barcelona, but after seeing how my situation is here, I've seen that's not the case," he told Het Laatste Nieuws.

The Belgian has been linked with Anderlecht and Vermaelen didn't deny it. "I'm not going to say anything about that because last time I spoke my words were taken out of context," said the defender.

He played the full 90 in a 3-3 draw with Mexico and said he was "happy to play with Belgium, given that with my club I almost never play."

http://www.sport-english.com/en/new...s-staying-at-fc-barcelona-this-summer-6419953

Yeah I don't know what these guys were thinking about making him our 4th CB this year. It's pretty clear he doesen't even want to be here right now. :shakeshead:

Alik

It's not the club's fault that he is always injured. Really, it's a choice of which clinic he wishes to attend rather than at what club to play at.

Egert

Estonian Culé
MD says he is expected to start vs Leganes since Valverde plans to play his strongest XI against Valencia.

FCBfan22

That is a good choice. Against Leganes I would start Pique and Vermaelen, so Umtiti is surely avalible at Valencia. Still, Pique must not pick up a yellow.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Typical Valverde. Instead of subbing him in for some match fitness (or starting him) he leaves him out completely and will throw him in the fire of Mestalla without touching the ball.

Xaviniesta

Right now we are 10 points ahead of both Madrid teams. If Valencia lose to Espanyol tomorrow, they'll be 7 points behind, meaning it would be great for us to beat them in the Mestalla. That way we would have a 10-point cushion over Valencia, Madrid, and Atleti.

With high stakes like this, I really would prefer Digne at CB over this guy, simply because Digne has been solid so far and has played way more than Vermaelen.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I am not worried at all. Pique had been poor anyway and Vermaelen played ok most of the time he got a chance.

Windhook

Thomas is good defender and one of the most experienced players on our squad. Remember that injuries ruined his career, not poor performances.

Home of Barca Fans