24 - Thomas Vermaelen

Messi983

Assuming he plays in the Classico as Mascherano should return in time for Deportivo.

But with the uncertainty surrounding Masche, and if Verm stays fit I wouldn't be surprised if he got the nod to play in the Classico.

He absolutely should start El Clasico. Even if Masche will be back in time it's questionable in what form he'll be after being out for a month. I hope Masche gets some minutes in what will probably (it's possible we'll play against Madrid in Copa in January) be his last Clasico though.

wisconsincule

There is no way we should let this guy go until Summer. He has played surprisingly well and would prefer him over Mascherano against Madrid... I think

Richard.H

He has been a sleeper hit for me. Out of nowhere is performing well. Crossing my fingers that he doesn't get injured.

Giginho75

good performance
we have always to remember that we are talking about our fourth central defender...

not many teams can have a fourth defender like vermaelen.

Messi983

Glad for him. He got too much undeserved bashing in past years.

Well, people mostly bashed his inability to stay healthy and for me that's still a big concern and why I'm not comfortable with him being our 4th CB. Probably the best for us would be him staying healthy all season and also playing a good WC so there would be clubs interested in him and we could sell him in summer for more than what we expected a month ago.

When he played in those few games in previous seasons he was usually good as well but he never really had a run of games like he has now for us. Maybe he's just lucky or maybe he changed his life style or something. Could also be Valverde's training methods are different and that fits him better. EV had 35 years old Aduriz playing on a very high level, and now some of our older players like Iniesta and Alba are also playing their best seasons in a while. So maybe some credit for Vermalen staying fit and playing good also has to be given to Valverde and his staff.

I hope I didn't jinx him now. :lol:

xXKonan

Verm also got a pretty bad rep towards the end of his Arsenal career.

He started off strong and even some consider him to easily be one of the best CBs in the EPL. problem was it all came crashing down to persistent injuries and once he got back to playing his form became erratic because he never could get consistent game time to build it back up again. It happened to him here during the 2015/16 season when he started of strong only to suffer a Calf injury which sidelined him for a bit. after he came back he never got proper rhythm again. as he was behind Masche and Mathieu in the pecking order and even Bartra.

At his best he's a really good CB and imo a lot more talented than Mathieu was even though the Frenchman I consider a good reliable 3rd option for us when he was here. Not sure what's going to happen in the summer but I'd imagine if he still wants to leave he will find some suitable teams for him with his performances so far.

George_Costanza

dont-jinx-it.jpg

serghei

Very good central defender when healthy. He'd be first 11 material if he didn't get injured all the time. Wasn't he the captain of Belgium at some point, ahead of Kompany?

Home of Barca Fans