24 - Thomas Vermaelen

Kohe321

He should start like most players coming back from injuries do - sub him on in a game we're winning comfortably to rest one of the other CBs. I think he'll get some minutes this season for sure :)

Really happy that he's finally injury free, I hope he can stay fit and reach his old form. We've been joking about him being "our 2015 signing", but really, if he can train consistently from now on and find back to his old level of play, he could become a really valuable part of the team next season. If Alves does indeed leave, that could perhaps see the need for Bartra to cover RB, and thus Vermaelen would be crucial at the CB position.

Last edited:

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Put him in the B Team. They need some quality.
I mean seriously. We have a guy like Bartra sitting on the bench all the time so there is no need to bring in Vermaelen right now. The defense is set, other players that are with the team the whole season deserve to play and Vermaelen was injured for a really long time.
Our young guns in the 2nd Team are fighting for relegation and an experienced and quality player could really help them. That would be a big way for Verm to help the club.

If he stays fit, give him a fair chance to compete for his spot next season.

Zangash

Banned
I mean seriously. We have a guy like Bartra sitting on the bench all the time so there is no need to bring in Vermaelen right now. The defense is set, other players that are with the team the whole season deserve to play and Vermaelen was injured for a really long time.
Our young guns in the 2nd Team are fighting for relegation and an experienced and quality player could really help them. That would be a big way for Verm to help the club.

I'm not entirely sure how this works, but with him being 29 we'd have to register him with the B team for him to play there, and the transfer ban might actually block us from doing that.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana

Vermaelen is already registered with the first team. I don't think he can play in the B team.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I'm not entirely sure how this works, but with him being 29 we'd have to register him with the B team for him to play there, and the transfer ban might actually block us from doing that.

Vermaelen is already registered with the senior team. He wouldn't be able to go down to the B team.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Ah damn forgot about that.
It did work with Munir and Sandro though because they are u23 (or u21) right? Or do these two have a different contract?

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
It did work with Munir and Sandro though because they are u23 (or u21) right?

It worked for them because they were initially registered for the B team, and while they are under 25, can be called up and played in senior matches without limit and then get sent back to the B team.

F

Flavia

It did work with Munir and Sandro though because they are u23 (or u21) right? Or do these two have a different contract?

Munir and Sandro are registered with the b team. They can play a number of games with the 1st team. I forgot what is the number.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Munir and Sandro are registered with the b team. They can play a number of games with the 1st team. I forgot what is the number.

Actually, IIRC, while they are under 25 there is no limit. Players older than 25 can only play 10 LIGA games before they are ineligible for the B team.

Zangash

Banned
Actually, IIRC, while they are under 25 there is no limit. Players older than 25 can only play 10 LIGA games before they are ineligible for the B team.

It's under 23, I think. Any older and they can only play so many liga games before they're forcibly promoted.

Darko

No one really knows.

Older article about Vermaelen, but it sums up his playing style: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/04/09/thomas-vermaelen-arsenal-positional-errors/

I don't know why but all Belgian CBs are like that... Kompany, Vertonghen and obviously Vermaelen.

That reminds me of FM, playing a 4 man defence with no defensive midfielder, one CB always rushes up and leaves tons of space and you concede most of the time, good times :lol:
And yeah, Vermaelen was a horrible signing, on Douglas, Henrique and Keirrison levels.

DrPepper

That reminds me of FM, playing a 4 man defence with no defensive midfielder, one CB always rushes up and leaves tons of space and you concede most of the time, good times :lol:
And yeah, Vermaelen was a horrible signing, on Douglas, Henrique and Keirrison levels.

:lol:

You can't say that before the man makes even a single appearance.

Did Kerrison or Henrique ever play for us? Or even Douglas who hasn't had a handful of apperances but is still rightfully considered a bad transfer.

Home of Barca Fans