24 - Thomas Vermaelen

PhilS

It will be interesting to see who will back up Pique and Lenglet. Busquets should only go to the back line to cover for an injury or ejection until a sub can warm up and enter the game. I don't know if Valverde would prefer Semedo or Roberto at CB.

Even if one of the above is now #3 CB, some one from Barca B needs to be on the bench in case of multiple, simultaneous back line subs being needed.

George_Costanza

giphy.gif

BarçaBarça

We have played with Adriano as CB in a clasico before...

... But of course we should have sold Vermaelen this summer, everyone and their dog knew that, but I guess that would be making too much smart money, so better to keep him get nothing and get no sporting advantage, because he is injured when you need him - how could anyone see that coming? :facepalm:

I just hope that we get a more reliable 4th option from next season onwards. Vermaelen out - De ligt in, then we would have a good setup of CBs..

xXKonan

We have played with Adriano as CB in a clasico before...

... But of course we should have sold Vermaelen this summer, everyone and their dog knew that, but I guess that would be making too much smart money, so better to keep him get nothing and get no sporting advantage, because he is injured when you need him - how could anyone see that coming? :facepalm:

I just hope that we get a more reliable 4th option from next season onwards. Vermaelen out - De ligt in, then we would have a good setup of CBs..
You can't predict injuries to players but with Verm however, you can predict at some point he will get injured.

When not injured he's a great 4th CB to have, but the problem is we are basically playing Russian roulette with Verm. Basically, if Umtiti or Pique or even Lenglet get injured he steps up to the plate as the 3rd CB. But this is one of those moments that it happened Verm got injured with Umtiti suffering a lengthly layoff and with Verm being out for Six weeks himself.

It's basically a gamble that finally bit us in the ass.

Devils

Hopefully Vermaldini makes it back soon.

EV just better not do anything stupid like play him as a fullback.

FCBfan22

Atrocious positioning on that Tottenham goal.

Very bad game overall. And he wasn't playing out of position (like Lenglet).

Leo_Messi

Indeed. Shocking defending. However it is what it is given the type of game it was (more or less meaningless), the opponent and the fact that Vermaelen just returned after 6-7 weeks out. When called into action in the past 2 seasons he has been a rather good performer all things considered. Nevertheless this is going to be and should definitely be his last season.

Nice assist on the Tottenham goal.

Hopefully can sell him for a few dollars.

His contract is going to expire next summer so that is not going to happen.

Ideally the club would buy or loan a proven and willing (to accept his role) veteran who can not only play as a center back but likewise replace Alba if necessary. Not sure if there is such a profile on the market but it would be a good thing if there was.

defyqa

Ideally the club would buy or loan a proven and willing (to accept his role) veteran who can not only play as a center back but likewise replace Alba if necessary. Not sure if there is such a profile on the market but it would be a good thing if there was.

Is Mathieu on the market? :)

Home of Barca Fans