24 - Thomas Vermaelen

Robbie

Barca's bidding the exact same price we bought him for, and he's in the last year of his contract. Plus, United aren't in the champions league, and may not even make it with Liverpool building a proper squad this summer.

If the price is fair with players that want out, Wenger doesn't usually haggle. The Song transfer went through lightning fast

Antimadridista1

Can't believe it… Our board just don't want spend big on a world class defender.
Vermaelen is a fucking joke, we don't need him at all.

The club is gonna waste his money .

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He's only 12M.

Not that much really. Won't be a disaster if he fails.

Would be a disaster if he ends up spending most of the time with the physio though.... :/

Hopefully he does well and stays injury free if he comes.....................

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I really hope Vermaelen is a depth signing. At least he's good on the ball and can jump, horrible otherwise.

Bertus

Would be a disaster if he ends up spending most of the time with the physio though.... :/

Still would be better than the 43M deal they wanted for Marquinhos with the same risk that marcos would fail to become the monster people hope him to become.

In today market 12M euros is peanuts.

Robbie

He really only had that one long term injury (1 year+), but there was no place for him when he got back. He was gone for far too long. He's better now, but needs to go somewhere that needs a defender.

Antimadridista1

Who are those so called world class defenders?

Really ? I think that you already know the names.

Did you heard about the likes of Hummels and Benatia ? Even Laporte made some "world class" performances this season in la Liga and was much better than the likes of Pique and Ramos in the spanish division.
I'm also pretty sure that he'll perform very well in the Champions League with Bilbao

Trickykid

Really ? I think that you already know the names.

Did you heard about the likes of Hummels and Benatia ? Even Laporte made some "world class" performances this season in la Liga and was much better than the likes of Pique and Ramos in the spanish division.
I'm also pretty sure that he'll perform very well in the Champions League with Bilbao

No, frankly I didn't know who were deemed worthy of the WC tag.

Hummels? Yeah, because he's easy to get from Dortmund, right?

Benatia? 50M or so? That's a crazy price to pay for a defender as relatively unproven as him. Besides, most of you have barely seen him play, but are just riding along on the merry hype train...

Laporte I like, but world class? Really? What on earth has he done to recieve such an accolade? And no, sorry, the fact that you're pretty sure he'll perform very well in the Champions league doesn't really do a whole lot for me. Besides, with a new release clause of 42M and the risk of added taxes (no, I have no idea when or even if they're added), he would be ridiculously expensive.

I must admit I'm slightly disillusioned with the current crop of world class defenders...

Richard.H

Can people who watch EPL/Arsenal fans tell us just how injury prone he is?

Did he even play any games last season? I'm a bit surprised to be honest because he was a very popular player a few years ago. I remember a lot of forum members here praising him as a top class defender.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
He played in 14 games total last season for Arsenal, but it wasn't so much because of injuries, rather that Koscielny and Mertesacker were preferred and for some reason Wenger did not rotate at all. When he played, I thought he looked solid enough, but there are plenty here who disagree with me on that count. :shrug:

F

Frejsgodes

Some thoughts from Arsenal fans:

Good passing range, strong and athletic, good in the air, likes to go forward (this is his main weakness as well), good leadership abilities and will always give it 110 %. He can be caught out of position at times so he doesn't fit well besides someone who's slow (i.e. Mertesacker).

When he first arrived at Arsenal he was great. He scored 7 goals in his first season, and it wasn't just heading balls in from corners, he scored a few from open play too. He has good technique and good vision (as you'd expect in a player trained at Ajax) and for a while he was considered the perfect example of a "Ball Playing Defender".

He's a very hard worker, he is a very professional player, he doesn't make rash challenges, he doesn't play dirty, etc.
On the other hand, he's not all that fast and sometimes his desire to get forward and attack means he's caught out of position. He's surprisingly good on the ball for a defender and makes good runs, so it catches people out. If there are players who can cover for him, that works out well. If not... well...

If I heard that Barcelona wanted to have a 3-man back line and they hadn't just bought Jeremy Mathieu, it would make perfect sense. He'd be ideal as a left-sided CB in a back 3. With Jeremy Mathieu's signing I'm not sure. They'd both probably want to play in the same spot, on the left side of a group of 3.

He was made Captain of Arsenal for a reason, and I think he'd still be starting if there had been a fast, cautious CB to partner him. Instead, Arsenal bought a slow, cautious CB in Mertesacker and a fast, aggressive CB in Koscielny, and that partnership has worked out ideally.

Against weaker La Liga teams, he'd probably be a real asset for Barcelona, because his forward runs from the back line would disrupt defences that are parking the bus. He has CL experience, but it remains to be seen if he can get back to the form where he'd be a great starter for Barcelona in the CL

Kos and Mert's partnership is extremeley good right now, otherwise Verm would get games. I want him to stay tbh, but wouldn't mind him going to Barca. Although he isn't the tallest, he's got a really good jump on him and he's a good tackler. He does seem to go full retard at times though, but overall a very good footballer.

He reminds me of David Luiz, without the thunder free kicks. He is much more disciplined, though he is still prone to move out of formation.

He's a real athlete and can make a tackle, his low points are all mental really. IMO he took too many chances for us that ended up costing us crucial points. I think with the right partner, someone to clean up his mistakes, TV5 could really shine. Its why I think Silva and Luiz isn't such a bad idea.

People always claim Verm has good leadership (and he must, if he kept the captaincy in his awkward position) however I never saw it on the pitch. From my captain CB, I want to see him yelling and organising people, I never saw him do this on the pitch, and in particular we always looked lost on set pieces (a time where organisation is key). Granted that's just my take on the arsenal games I saw, and my foggy memory, but that's what I remember. Seeing his replacement (Mertesacker) yell at teammates really showed me what we're missing.

Home of Barca Fans