24 - Thomas Vermaelen

springfield

Vermaelen has great defensive skill, look at his Arsenal carreer. But indeed, the injuries became a major problem. I hoped Barcelona could do something about it but still the transfer fee was to high for the risk they were taking. For Belgium at the EC he was one of the best, if not the best player of the squad. If they will not get money for him, who wants to pay for him?, then he can still be a value as backup CB, if he don't get injured during training :lol: I think a loan will be the best they can get out of it, so the other team pays (partially) his salary.

gasgas

We signed him while injured, we put him on a big wage and gave him a long contract.

And then somehow you have a few people defending the board :facepalm:

Jombi

If this is true, yet another blunder by our wonderful board. Sell this guy cut the losses and move on.

We have difficulties trying to loan him out while paying a big chunk of his wages. Selling him is much harder. Releasing him from his big contract will cost a lot.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Is he really any better than Marlon? Why should he take his place? Just ship him for free to whoever is interested...

Jombi

Is he really any better than Marlon? Why should he take his place? Just ship him for free to whoever is interested...

What's the point of loaning him out for free while we pay his wages? Which club would want to pay all of his wages and make him their best earning player?

Albo

If we can't sell him, keep him. Enough with these idiotic loan deals. At least there is a slight chance that he will regain his Euro 2016 form but that's not likely. Surely it's still better than to loan him and still pay his wages.

springfield

If you mean in skills, yes he's far better. Without his injuries, he was probably in top 10 of best defenders in the world. Only question is, will he be able to play atleast as much as Marlon? I think most people will say no.

BarçaBarça

Don't keep him. Loan out, even with sharing his wages. It is an embarrassment to see him at this beautiful club.
Sad thing is, that Arsenal have one of the best centerbacks in Koscielny, who we probably could have bought for around the same price as Song+Vermaelen together.

God Serena

There's no point in him staying. Not only is he injury prone to a comical level, but he's at the age where many start to decline anyways. He shouldn't get even a single minute over Marlon and I'd honestly give Bueno or Tarin any charity minutes that might be headed his way as well. There's no reason for him to be starting early Copa rounds against Segunda B opponents and there's no point in subbing him on when we're 4 up over Betis.

Home of Barca Fans