24 - Thomas Vermaelen

StarLord

Iniesta was a supersub in his early 20s. More often than not, his appearances were substitute appearances as Deco and Ronnie played in his position.

But forget about Iniesta. How many CBs play at an extremely high level at 33 years old?

Yes, he was used as a super-sub in several games in both 04/05 and 05/06 but still clocked well over 2000 minutes per season. By 06/07 he was playing all the time.

But yeah, this is not about Iniesta. First of all I am not saying that he will be playing at an extremely high level at age 33. He is still 29, will be 30 for the coming season. Puyol, Rio, now Pepe, Terry all play/played well into their 30s as CBs for top sides.

My point is that let's just and wait and see what Vermaelen can do next season.

Jombi

maldini and nesta played , i don't need to tell how, in their 30s

The fact that you have to bring up retired legends just confirms that it is very rare for top clubs today to rely on 33 year old CBs. The vast majority of CBs have declined at that age to the point where they play at mid table clubs or in poorer leagues.

Anyway, he was signed on a lengthy 5 year contract, so he'll probably stay on our books for the duration of the contract regardless of performance level.

Last edited:

mark1nhu

Please [MENTION=19793]Jombi[/MENTION], we all are aware that CB players peak occur around 30 years, very different from AM players peak.

No reason to compare with Iniesta.

Jombi

We dont tend to keep CBs well into their 30s.

Gabi Milito was given away when he was 30, and Marquez was released when he was 31 years old.

Gabi Milito was a very injury prone CB. He retired at 32 years old. It is rare for injury prone CBs to go on for long.

We dont tend to keep CBs well into their 30s.
how do you define 30
nadal, puyol, blanc, koeman is just a small list of barca players who kept on going until their mid 30.
the italians are exceptions but somebody like rio ferdinand also stayed at manu until has was 34 or 35

EdmondDantes

Where is he gonna fit next season? I don't see him breaking into our 11, not when Mathieu who has been great for us is on the bench ahead of him. Is he gonna be happy with cameos and intermittent rotation?

Topolino

Gemusesuppe
Where is he gonna fit next season? I don't see him breaking into our 11, not when Mathieu who has been great for us is on the bench ahead of him. Is he gonna be happy with cameos and intermittent rotation?

Pique, Masche, Bartra, Mathieu and Vermaelen all need to prove themselves over and over again. Lucho wont play anyone because of the past. Next season all starts again and they all have an equal chance for the starting XI

King5Puyi

It's all up to him. If he goes back to Verminator form, he will slide into our first 11 like a glove. If not, just push him down the stairs so that he chills in the recreational center again.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Please [MENTION=19793]Jombi[/MENTION], we all are aware that CB players peak occur around 30 years, very different from AM players peak.

No reason to compare with Iniesta.

You can't peak when you're not fit. I know you wanna be optimistic and all about what we're gonna do with this guy. Just don't keep your hopes up.

anguy

If he stays healthy I see him beating Mathieu. Sure, I base this just on 60 mins against La Caruna, but he seems to be at least equal in defense and superior in ball handling/ passing. Hell I see him beating Mascherano for starting LCB spot.

EdmondDantes

Nah, I rate Bartra who is desperate for minutes ahead of him. He seems like a great guy Thomas, but I can't get over the fact we bought him straight from Arsenal's bench.

Alik

Pique, Masche, Bartra, Mathieu and Vermaelen all need to prove themselves over and over again. Lucho wont play anyone because of the past. Next season all starts again and they all have an equal chance for the starting XI

+1

Everyone has a realistic chance at being a starter, depending on their performance.

Even if it remains Pique/Masche, he can still become 3rd CB.

Home of Barca Fans