The Old Firm

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
So how does Scotland survive as an independent nation? Salmond's entire economic justification for independence is that North Sea oil belongs to Scotland. Do you seriously think for a second that England would allow an independent Scotland to keep the oil? It's simply not a realistic proposal and once that falls by the wayside the numbers don't add up.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
Salmond is an absolute plank. Did you see him whining the other day because he wasn't going to be a part of the series of debates between Brown, Cameron and Clegg, what a fool.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
You're classified as Scottish AND British, just as I'm classified as English and British. You guys get an easier time than we do, most people tend to be more receptive to Scots and Welsh identity whilst willing to substitute the word English for British without a second thought.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
If a foreigner ( say an American or Spaniard ) went on British TV they would say oh it's great here in England, oh England's watching or I love England but they wouldn't say Britain. Now I now England makes up maybe 80, 90 % of Britain but we don't get any acknowledgement from foreigners it's always England. And when someone says a British accent it's actually a Cockney accent. Scottish people sound absolutely nothing like that.

B

blueduck

If a foreigner ( say an American or Spaniard ) went on British TV they would say oh it's great here in England, oh England's watching or I love England but they wouldn't say Britain. Now I now England makes up maybe 80, 90 % of Britain but we don't get any acknowledgement from foreigners it's always England.

And? That's the way it should be.

And when someone says a British accent it's actually a Cockney accent. Scottish people sound absolutely nothing like that.

Most foreigners go to London so that's what they base the accent on.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
I refer to myself as English personally. Agree with Adam though, Welsh and Scottish can refer to themselves as that and be proud of it fairly unhassled, whereas an English person ends up classified as right wing BNP. I know the circumstances are different as Wales and Scotland are the minorities, but it's still annoying.

Home of Barca Fans