FC Barcelona statistics

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
A flick on from a corner resulting in a goal is undoubtedly a set piece goal, as is a training ground routine where the ball is passed to a man who drops short who subsequently crosses it in.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
You said that Keita scored from corner. Keita didn`t head the ball coming from a corner. It was Dani Alves pass who received the ball from corner and then crossed it for Keita.
This reminds me of the similar sort of thing we have in official Barca website where they have 2 columns for assists. One are actual assists and the other one is for decisive passes/leading to goals. Point is, where do you draw a line. How many touches after a corner are we going to take then? 2, 3, 4? For me and for most of the statistics I saw it`s either a set-piece goal or it isn`t.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I`m not. If someone can invent rules on how many touches are allowed after a set piece then that same person can count them himself. I`m not gonna bother.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
You said that Keita scored from corner. Keita didn`t head the ball coming from a corner. It was Dani Alves pass who received the ball from corner and then crossed it for Keita.
This reminds me of the similar sort of thing we have in official Barca website where they have 2 columns for assists. One are actual assists and the other one is for decisive passes/leading to goals. Point is, where do you draw a line. How many touches after a corner are we going to take then? 2, 3, 4? For me and for most of the statistics I saw it`s either a set-piece goal or it isn`t.

It's all part of the corner routine practiced on the training ground, I know how the goal was scored and for me that is a goal from a corner.

I draw the line when the defence clears the ball out of the area, that's when the set piece is finished in my opinion so it doesn't matter how many flicks occur before the header/shot, it's still a set piece goal. With the greatest of respect I don't think you'll find very many people who will agree with your strict definition of a set piece goal.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
I'd say it stops being a set piece when it's cleared and/or players start pushing up out of the box. The fact is both of those goals are dead ball situations, players are in the box, the ball is then delivered in. The Keita goal is a prime example of a 'short corner'. How is a 'short corner' not a set piece? Both goals came form corners as it got bodies in the box. Even if a ball rebounds around the 6 yard box a few times and then goes in, it's still a set piece goal.

maz

I walk the line
I agree. It's like offside..a player may not receive the ball directly from his teammate, but if he is involved in the same piece of play then it will still be offside.

If we have a freekick, and xavi touches it to messi, who touches it back to xavi who shoots and scores, it it not a set piece goal because there were 2 touches? Or if xavi touches it to messi who dinks it to bojan, is it not a set piece goal?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
So anyone has a stats to share or are we continuing on how many touches after a corner or a fk constitutes a set piece goal.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Since we have 3 guys that are supporting that theory I`m sure one of them will count them.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
All competitions statistics

GOALS

Messi 9
Ibrahimovic 8
Keita 5
Pedro 4
Bojan 2
Pique 2
Alves 1