Francesc "Tito" Vilanova

Clockwise

Buccaneer
^ I don't get what's wrong with those comments...

summery of what Tito said:

We did nothing wrong. Bayern was an accident. everyone is doing totally great. there is no problem. I kinda dont know who to buy. I dont know what to do with Cesc still and have no near future plans. I dont want a top defender with good price in Hummels. I dont want to sell Valdes while I can raise some money for him. I am thinking of and oldie in Reina.

wtf is this?

Clockwise

Buccaneer
The top part of your quote is the papers selling smoke. They didnt even know who the new coach was when Pep was leaving. Getting butthurt about filler ink is ridiculous.

I know what you say man, but the Valdes thing has been said by Tito himself too before and I fear he is still of his previous ways of thinking. Reina is a rumor and so is hummels but if they are even 30 percent near the truth, it is not really nice...

He actually said none of those things so its not a summary. And this part here "I dont want a top defender with good price in Hummels. I dont want to sell Valdes while I can raise some money for him. I am thinking of and oldie in Reina." :lol: Now you are joining Rumors and quotes and passing them as quotes.

I am not sure you got what I meant at all. If you are trying to just defend Tito because I attack his short comings do it man I wont stop you. But Tito is not giving me or any fan something to hold on to.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Don't like the position of Tito on this but at the same time, that's what he's saying in the press - no way to be sure this is actually how he views things

Valdes...Makes sense to keep him for the one year as well as sell him and I can understand Tito feeling it makes the team stronger to have him here again...He's a leader and the perfect keeper for us...Does Tito win this battle with the board though?

Reina?...I think it's a mistake but the idea of a vet plus young keeper makes sense and Pepe is a cantera player who is a natural leader - I think there are distinct advantages to that...And when you consider the club doesn't strengthen this position with a big transfer, it makes a lot of sense - even if many of us wouldn't like it...Question is, who would the young keeper be?...Ter Stegen?

Hummels...It's Tito's prerogative to choose who he believes can strengthen the squad since he's the coach and if the rumours are true and he prefers Silva then it is what it is...Just seems money could be better spent elsewhere and we'd be getting a younger player than Silva...Not sure whether Mats would work well with Piqué either but Tito has a point that not anyone can play in this squad

Cesc...Sorry but he's deluded although what could he really say anyway?...That he's ben disappointing and we still don't know how to use him?...I think Cesc's dilemma in the squad is obvious to everyone - no point in stating the obvious

spark

I know what you say man, but the Valdes thing has been said by Tito himself too before and I fear he is still of his previous ways of thinking. Reina is a rumor and so is hummels but if they are even 30 percent near the truth, it is not really nice...

I am not sure you got what I meant at all. If you are trying to just defend Tito because I attack his short comings do it man I wont stop you. But Tito is not giving me or any fan something to hold on to.

Criticize away. I have my own criticisms just like I had of Pep or any manager but one thing is being upset about things he does or did, and another the speculation. That s why they are printing it They know its a painful time for cules so anything they say will taken on bard or cause outrage and sell more copies.

Xtroverto

Lots of doom and gloom here. I think for the most part exaggerated and rather short sighted. Let's see what Vilanova has said:

Vilanova counts on Victor Valdes for next season, but the board wants to sell him. He has one year left on his contract. [el pias]
Barcelona have a deal with Dortmund to sign centre back Mats Hummels (24) for 25M, but Vilanova didn't yet give his approval. [sport]
Reina, plus younger goalkeeper next year, is Barcelona's main plan to replace Valdes. He would be allowed to leave Liverpool for 10M. [md]

Sounds resonable to me, if he dosen't want Hummels then he probably has sound motives for that. Barcelona has a long history of failed over hyped center backs, It could be that Hummels is just another Chygrinski and that we don't want.

Vilanova: "Messi is one of the players who finishes the season physcially in great form, the only problem is the injury he had."

Agree, he has been playing great outside of a few games this spring. This is a good example of the press and fans over analyzing a few isolated bad games, Messi is clearly in great shape, save for his injury.

Vilanova: "It's very difficult to find players who fit in. You see them at another team and you think they could, but here it's different."

Agree, the majority of players that have been brought in has failed to deliver. I don't want to see another 30-40 million wasted on a player that never settle or integrate with the team.

Vilanova: "Busquets and Messi can play? They have trained today, but we'll see how they do tomorrow."

If they are injured, then rest them for the more important games against Atletico and Espanyol, both difficult away games.

Vilanova: "The squad needs to be strengthened, but we don't need a revolution. There's a solid foundation, with many young players."

Exactly, the team is competitive and winning this league shows that. This is another case of over analyzing the underlying problems that has plagued the team this spring. Going for the home run can backlash really bad and Barcelona risk losing a solid foundation for the sole purpose of short sighted desperation.

Vilanova: "Cesc exit rumours? He's a quality player. It was difficult to find a spot for him, but he's doing good and can be a key player."

Together with Messi, Cesc was the best player in the squad during the autumn, he is one of the main reason for the unprecedented 55 points won during the first 19 games. This league is won in large part thanks to his great form in that part of the season. Cesc should definitely stay, anything else is complete madness.

Vilanova: "Player (Pique) saying changes are needed? Guess that player doesn't expect him to be among the changes, right?"

Right again, the season is yet over and Pique risk the integrity of the team with his mindless statement.

Vilanova: "Physically, we're not doing bad, but we've had injuries and we faced a team, Bayern, in an incredible form."

Hitting it on the nail, Bayern has massacre all its opponents this season, Barcelonas was just one in a long line of teams run over by the Germans.

Last edited:

Maria

What is even more worse is that I have rarely enjoyed seeing this team play this season and I am far from the the only one with that opinion.

That's what I've been saying also..they played good football for about a month, but they've been a constant dissapointement in the big games(only 2 wins against RM or in the knock-out stages of the CL) and our defense has been terrible even against teams like Mallorca or Deportivo.
And then we hear Tito saying that what happend against Bayern was an accident..:(

Garrus

I don't really understand what else could he say about cesc, I remember mou two months back criticized ramos in the press confrence after some loss i think, And everyone thought that was low blow from by him.
The press conferences are always ambiguous, Filled with routine and comforting answers, That everything is running fine and great, I can't remember the last time i actually learned something useful out of those conferences.

Indignado

Hitting it on the nail, Bayern has massacre all its opponents this season, Barcelonas was just one in a long line of teams run over by the Germans.

The thing is that Barça shouldn't be like all the other teams. We have the best players in the world and yet we should put up with a 0-7 against Bayern just because they've been playing well all season? Plus, it's not like we'd dominated the other teams, we never performed well against great teams this season and we were on the brink of dropping out of the CL against both Milan and PSG.

Richard.H

Why would Tito keep Valdes? Sell him and cash in on him because the club is already in debt as it is. Even 10 mill is good enough.

Xtroverto

The thing is that Barça shouldn't be like all the other teams.

There are no should in football, that is something one learn early on. There are no constants in football, results are not always determined by the strengh or perceived strength of the teams. There are tons of variables that go into the end result of every single match and how it pans out.

We have the best players in the world and yet we should put up with a 0-7 against Bayern just because they've been playing well all season?

Yes, if you can put up with winning matches like the one that ended 2-6 against Real Madrid on Bernabeu, then you can also put up with losing matches like the ones against Bayern. It always evens out on the long run. This time we lost 0-7, last time we won 5-1 against Bayern. Next time there will be another result.

Plus, it's not like we'd dominated the other teams, we never performed well against great teams this season and we were on the brink of dropping out of the CL against both Milan and PSG.

In the Champions League and the forerunner the European cup, more often than not the less impressive team is the one that go through the round. In the end what you have to do is to reach the next round, how that is done is of far less importance. Barcelona beat both Milan and PSG on aggregate, for me that is perfectly satisfying, Dominating a team means nothing if that can't translate into a result. In the Champions league often results are determined more by how the referee perform than the actual teams. I could list dozens of games in the last 10 years that have been determined by the referee rather than the best team.

And you forgot, we beat France 1-0 i Paris with 8 FC Barcelona players on the pitch. This shows more than anything that the team is still very competitive and will continue to be for some years to come.

Last edited:

John Antonio Bilboa

Howard Roark laughed
Barca is the best team in the world, we shouldn't lose 3 nil @ the camp nou to anyone. Bayern didn't play particularly well, it was just horrible defending and horrible goal keeping from Valdes as per usual, I don't even know when this guy started being considered as 'good'. No one remembers Valdes from the Rijkaard days, thing is, I do and there hasn't been much change. He's still awful. What can be said about Tito is that there's absolutely no plan b tactically, if we can't walk the ball into the goal we malfunction and short-circuit...We need a bigger squad that can compete in europe and we also need to accept the fact that this particular batch of players from la masia aren't the greatest

Barcilliant

The problem with Tito is he seems to laidback. Its almost as if Sandro and Zubi have guaranteed him a job for the next 2 seasons. He needs to be more pro-active. It was obvious to everyone that this team was slipping. THAT is why Pep left. Yet Tito continues as if is it business as usual. We rode our luck in the league and thanks to RM's internal politics and subsequent implosion we have almost won it. However we have been exposed badly in the CL. AND I am not talking about Bayern. I am talking about ordinary teams like Celtic, Milan, Spartak. They all showed we were very vulnerable. Tito did not introduce any new formations, tactics, substitutions nothing. Its not as if the Barca boys dont know how to play 4-2-3-1. They do it with Spain. Our defence needed some protection especially with all the injuries. Instead we went and played the away leg with a greenhorn cb in Batra and an injured Messi & Busquets. Hardly inspiring stuff. He needs to go and my only fear is club management will only realise this when we get dumped in the group stages of the CL.

Cule4life

The Culest
I think Tito is too close to the Pep-era players to make harsh decisions like benching the likes of Pedro etc. Or he doesnt have the guts of Pep

Tito is one dimensional. We havent seen any tweaks (apart from Milan game) of the Pep era like the role of Seydou Keita or playing Cuenca/Tello over Pedro/Alexis.

Tito doesnt have the motivational skills of Pep, Heynckes or Klopp. Look at him in the Bayern game standing like a statue not spurring on our players. If its due to cancer it doesnt make a case for him to stay either. Our team doesnt look hungry or motivated which is main reason of our lack of pressing and the buck for this stops with the manager. Maybe the players know him too well.

And please stop this BS about Tito being the only one who can further our philosophy. I bet Heynckes knows more about it than Tito. We need some changes and new ideas in our philosophy as it has outlived its uniqueness. I cant see Tito coming up with new ideas. He will always count on Messi to bail him out. A guy like Heynckes or Klopp would be perfect.

And yes us winning the league=Messi in GOAT mode+Real Madrid's implosion. Apart from the Milan game we were shit in every big game. Scoring 5 vs a poor Bilbao side vs being thrashed by Madrid are two wholly different things. Any big team needs only do one thing against Tito's team. Mark out Messi with 3-4 players and you're all set.

-->Everybody said Tito was the mastermind behind Pep's team.
-->A guy who chooses the same 11 players and same formation regardless of form. A guy who waits for your team to be four goals down and for 83 minutes to pass before making a change. A guy who prefers playing a half fit Messi than Fabregas
-->Pick one

If Tito stays i wouldnt be surprised if we have a trophy less season even if Hummels, NeyGOAT or even Falcao comes. Our system is broken and Tito is not the person to fix it.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans