Francesc "Tito" Vilanova

ebc_99

I think it's delusional to continuously say we have the best 11 in the world by far. We used to but remember players aren't always the same. Players like Alves, Pique, Puyol, Xavi, Pedro, and Villa used to be great but now they are shadows of their former selves.

Bayern on the other hand have a fit, in prime squad who are in their winning period. The whole "Barca is stil lthe best team in the world" rant is what makes us weaker, when we don't acknowledge we were bested and that many things have to be done if we want to get back to the top.

It is not delusion it is confidence, I still believe we do have the best 11 in the world, there is no need changing things that don't need changing. Being confident in themselves will not make them weaker, they know there were bested but are smart enough to see that it won't take much to turn it around.

As for the players you mentioned, Xavi is still as good as ever though can't play as often so rotation will be important, Pique needs someone like Puyol alongside him and I think that man is Thiago Silva, a partnership of Pique and Silva would be as good as any other in the world. Pedro is still only 25 and as he is showing for Spain is still a wonderful player, with Neymar in the team it will help Pedro. Villa has been replaced by Neymar who I think will totally transform the attack for the better. Puyol will hopefully be replaced by Silva and Alves by Montoya otherwise I think the team is fine.

Valdes

Montoya Pique Silva Alba

Busquets

Xavi Iniesta

Pedro Messi Neymar​

This line-up would be the best on paper in the world, and it is up to Tito to get the best from those players and I think he will. Montoya will provide balance in defence, Pique and Silva can bring out the best from each other as I feel their style would complement the others. Alba can form a great partnership with Neymar on the left, The midfield is still the best no doubt about it. The front line is exceptional, there is so much flair, skill and imagination and I can't wait to see them in full flow.

Changes need to be made and players brought in, but not many. I am very confident that the team will be back stronger than ever next season if the necessary signings are made.

ShandyFFM

just found that video. Back then i didnt realise it was Vilanova who was in the vid :lol:

up to 4 episodes on youtube if you want more

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
It is not delusion it is confidence, I still believe we do have the best 11 in the world, there is no need changing things that don't need changing. Being confident in themselves will not make them weaker, they know there were bested but are smart enough to see that it won't take much to turn it around.

As for the players you mentioned, Xavi is still as good as ever though can't play as often so rotation will be important, Pique needs someone like Puyol alongside him and I think that man is Thiago Silva, a partnership of Pique and Silva would be as good as any other in the world. Pedro is still only 25 and as he is showing for Spain is still a wonderful player, with Neymar in the team it will help Pedro. Villa has been replaced by Neymar who I think will totally transform the attack for the better. Puyol will hopefully be replaced by Silva and Alves by Montoya otherwise I think the team is fine.

Valdes

Montoya Pique Silva Alba

Busquets

Xavi Iniesta

Pedro Messi Neymar​

This line-up would be the best on paper in the world, and it is up to Tito to get the best from those players and I think he will. Montoya will provide balance in defence, Pique and Silva can bring out the best from each other as I feel their style would complement the others. Alba can form a great partnership with Neymar on the left, The midfield is still the best no doubt about it. The front line is exceptional, there is so much flair, skill and imagination and I can't wait to see them in full flow.

Changes need to be made and players brought in, but not many. I am very confident that the team will be back stronger than ever next season if the necessary signings are made.

Xavi has been inconsistent and fatigued this season. The only two performances similar to an in-prime Xavi would be the game vs Malaga and vs Milan. Other than that he played like a correct player, not too spectacular. This is due to age and overplaying, his role requires a lot of mobility and running which is more difficult for him these days. He's a legend but to say he's still at the top of his game would be wrong.

With all the dead wood in the team we need an 08/09 level overhaul and there do have to be a lot of changes otherwise we're just clinging to the past without moving into the future. We're not always gonna have the same style of Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets midfield, maybe not even the same formation in the future. There are lots of things that need to be changed tactically and in personnel to keep up with today's football. What worked in 08/09 or 10/11 won't work the same now because of aging, different players, and evolving football. We need to move forward and not stick to the past.

JamDav1982

Xavi has been inconsistent and fatigued this season. The only two performances similar to an in-prime Xavi would be the game vs Malaga and vs Milan. Other than that he played like a correct player, not too spectacular. This is due to age and overplaying, his role requires a lot of mobility and running which is more difficult for him these days. He's a legend but to say he's still at the top of his game would be wrong.

With all the dead wood in the team we need an 08/09 level overhaul and there do have to be a lot of changes otherwise we're just clinging to the past without moving into the future. We're not always gonna have the same style of Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets midfield, maybe not even the same formation in the future. There are lots of things that need to be changed tactically and in personnel to keep up with today's football. What worked in 08/09 or 10/11 won't work the same now because of aging, different players, and evolving football. We need to move forward and not stick to the past.

Xavi was good in more big games than that.

He was played when not fit and the blame goes to both him and Tito for that.

For whatever reason Tito did not seem to trust Thiago in the bigger games, perhaps thinking he takes to many risks and leaves his position too often. Who knows.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Xavi was good in more big games than that.

He was played when not fit and the blame goes to both him and Tito for that.

For whatever reason Tito did not seem to trust Thiago in the bigger games, perhaps thinking he takes to many risks and leaves his position too often. Who knows.

The post wasn't really Anti-Xavi or Anti-Tito in any way, not assigning blame necessarily.

Good in big games? One big game. Other than that he was battling fatigue or injury and was fairly unspectacular or impressive.

JamDav1982

The post wasn't really Anti-Xavi or Anti-Tito in any way, not assigning blame necessarily.

Good in big games? One big game. Other than that he was battling fatigue or injury and was fairly unspectacular or impressive.

Xavi controlled the home supercopa game against Madrid along with Iniesta.

He played well away to Madrid in December

He dominated against Milan.

He played well away to PSG.

I agree he was poor in PSG home, Milan away and Bayern x2 but he was good in more than one big game in my opinion.

ebc_99

I agree that we need to change tactically, but I think most of the players we have now a still good enough and young enough. Of the team layout I showed 7 of them are 26 or under and the only outfield player over 30 is Xavi. I think our first 11 has a lower average age than Bayern's and is a team for the present and future. I do think that there needs to be 5 or 6 new players but only 3 in the first 11, Neymar, Montoya and Thiago Silva.

Xavi does need to be rested more, I think maybe they should try Fabregas in his proper position which would in turn change the team dynamic as well as give Xavi a rest.

F

Flavia

Except for a few games he played on painkillers, imo Xavi wasn't at his best due more to wrong tactics than fitness.

JamDav1982

Except for a few games he played on painkillers, imo Xavi wasn't at his best due more to wrong tactics than fitness.

To be honest I think he is past his very best.

He had a few of these performances in Peps last season also and in the Euros last summer.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I'm not saying Xavi was absolute crap but he definitely wasn't at the levels he was during his prime. He wasn't playing at his best consistently and while tactics did play a part in that, it has to be said that he did have some decline in this season's performances. He had massive influences on the game but in many Clasico's and vs Bayern our buildup was lethargic, same vs PSG at home and Milan away. That's just as much his fault as it is other players for not having good movement though and he is still capable of producing great performances. He'd be much better next season playing less but Xavi is no longer at the same levels he was before.

F

Flavia

To be honest I think he is past his very best.

He had a few of these performances in Peps last season also and in the Euros last summer.

Even past his very best, he's still better than most midfielders, including cesc and thiago. I think many are dismissing Xavi way too early. He needs rest, but it's not like he forgot how to play, all of a sudden. With Spain and proper tactics, against uruguay, he was that Xavi again.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Even past his very best, he's still better than most midfielders, including cesc and thiago. I think many are dismissing Xavi way too early. He needs rest, but it's not like he forgot how to play, all of a sudden. With Spain and proper tactics, against uruguay, he was that Xavi again.

Yes but key word is rest. We can't rely on him to play 60 games a season anymore, he suffers and so do we. Even in a footballing manner he isn't exactly "Mr. Throughball" anymore and doesn't play with the same purpose and drive as before.

F

Flavia

Yes but key word is rest. We can't rely on him to play 60 games a season anymore, he suffers and so do we. Even in a footballing manner he isn't exactly "Mr. Throughball" anymore and doesn't play with the same purpose and drive as before.

He can't play 60 matches, and he played 46 matches this season, according to the official site. 5 on cdr, where he should had rested, imo. But the problem with the lack of throughballs I think it's due to tactics. Pedro and Alexis are not doing those runs, he has no one to pass to. But he still got as many assists as Alexis and Cesc, 12. Just behind Messi and Iniesta.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
He can't play 60 matches, and he played 46 matches this season, according to the official site. 5 on cdr, where he should had rested, imo. But the problem with the lack of throughballs I think it's due to tactics. Pedro and Alexis are not doing those runs, he has no one to pass to. But he still got as many assists as Alexis and Cesc, 12. Just behind Messi and Iniesta.

Tactically we have been horrible. Nowadays the idea is just to pass it around the opposition's defensive crowd repeatedly from wing to wing until eventually a player (usually Messi) finds a way in to score. That doesn't work as well vs solid defenses like Bayern, Madrid, or PSG and that showed

ebc_99

Tactically we have been horrible. Nowadays the idea is just to pass it around the opposition's defensive crowd repeatedly from wing to wing until eventually a player (usually Messi) finds a way in to score. That doesn't work as well vs solid defenses like Bayern, Madrid, or PSG and that showed

I agree that tactically we are falling behind, Tito has to show that he can adapt to the modern game. I think we will find out early next season if things will improve or stay the same, but by then it will be difficult to make changes so this summer will be more important than usual.

Home of Barca Fans