Francesc "Tito" Vilanova

serghei

the problem is not that they didn't offer him a new contract, it's that his current contract contains a release clause that's been handled very badly.

I get that and it's OK. But it's not about the release clause. The release clause means nothing if the player wants to stay. The problem is that Tito and the other members of the technical staff made Thiago feel unwanted. If Thiago wants to sign with Manchester United, I would perfectly understand him and, sadly, I would agree with his decision.

What I don't understand and what I find to be a proof of incompetence, is how everybody (other managers, the press, United fans and players etc.) can see the uniqueness and immense talent of Thiago except Tito Vilanova. It's like having a diamond in your hands and giving it away at the price of copper.

Last edited:

Faceless

No more faces at night
What Heynckes and Klopp did before does not matter. They are irrelevant. And also, they were in a completely different situation.
Tito has had since 08/09 to learn about the team he is coaching atm.

Tito is Tito yeah, and he sucks. We didnt end up trophyless but the fact remains that Barca failed miserably in the big games.

Haha yeah, its like hes walking around like a zombie. Its a huuuuge difference compared to Pep and other top coaches. I havent even seen him lift a finger.

Of course he's different then Klopp and Heynckes. But that's not the point.. Anyways, are we still going to keep this Roman Abramovic attitude towards tito? What next, blame him for the weather? As much as I am upset on Thiago leaving and the flops of last season, why not stay positive for him as a cule. Sure, he had all the time to learn from Pep years ago, so did Brendan Rogers and AVB in chelsea. Are we going to be like chelsea? Constantly changing coaches and lifting up banners "Tito out" then when winning however lifting up "gracias tito!" ?

This is Barcelona for Christ's sake. Stay calm and hope our management doesn't screw up.

P.s @Ryuken well at least it isn't a Louis Van Gaal clone.

Galning

I get that and it's OK. But it's not about the release clause. The release clause means nothing if the player wants to stay. The problem is that Tito and the other members of the technical staff made Thiago feel unwanted. If Thiago wants to sign with Manchester United, I would perfectly understand him and, sadly, I would agree with his decision.

What I don't understand and what I find to be a proof of incompetence, is how everybody (other managers, the press, United fans and players etc.) can see the uniqueness and immense talent of Thiago except Tito Vilanova. It's like having a diamond in your hands and giving it away at the price of copper.

And I agree with that :) but it's not like they only want to renew Bartra, and not Thiago. As you just explained, Thiago leaving has different reasons.

Lol Serghei why bring Abidal in this debate... two wrongs don't make a right, that's plain logic.
And as far as I am concerned Barca backed Abi dring his health troubles and those are now over.

serghei

Lol Serghei why bring Abidal in this debate... two wrongs don't make a right, that's plain logic.
And as far as I am concerned Barca backed Abi dring his health troubles and those are now over.

I actually agree with Laporta, not renewing Abidal was another mistake. Now Thiago. The goofs are starting to pile up.

ryuken

For all i care, all of this mess will probably work in favours of Laporta, but unfortunately we will be stucked with RoSell until 2016 and Tito the great might stay until then too.

ceefoo

...the problem is not that they didn't offer him a new contract, it's that his current contract contains a release clause that's been handled very badly.
Thiago signed his contract extension in June 2011 up until 2015, while Pep was still coach and Rosell was President. But the low release clause virtually rendered the contract length irrelevant.

... how everybody (other managers, the press, United fans and players etc.) can see the uniqueness and immense talent of Thiago except Tito Vilanova. It's like having a diamond in your hands and giving it away at the price of copper.
Good analogy!

As much as I am upset on Thiago leaving and the flops of last season, why not stay positive for him as a cule. Sure, he had all the time to learn from Pep years ago, so did Brendan Rogers and AVB in chelsea. Are we going to be like chelsea? Constantly changing coaches and lifting up banners "Tito out" then when winning however lifting up "gracias tito!" ?
You're right! We don't want to be like Chel$ki.

What sets Barca apart from most other clubs, is our world class cantera; La Masia. When Pep was coach he would look to our youth and improve them with good coaching, trust them in the senior team, let them learn from their mistakes, believe in them. And that belief was repaid by the likes of Busquets, Pedro, Pique, Cuenca, Tello and Thiago. Tito doesn't trust the youth. He would rather play Adriano in meaningless games, than blood a prospect like Bartra.
Young players make errors, and they can show inconsistency, this is normal. Pep understood this and that's what made him such a great man-manager. For a club that puts so much effort in to developing it's youth system, it's a waste not to utilize it.

Tito has done a good job in the league at achieving the target, which was to regain it. And he did it with flying colours; 100 points. But is this his ONLY objective? Is Tito - Mourinho? A coach that is only interested in securing his own legacy, leaving no foundation to build on in the future? We are not Real Madrid or Chel$ki. Barca's philosophy is trust in it's youth policy and compliment it with a few superstars from abroad. I really don't think Tito is good at coaching youngsters, so I don't see the point in pursuing with a stubborn, short-sighted, uninspiring, blundering, one-trick-pony.

I don't even want to look at the Thiago tread anymore, it's that depressing.:angry:

Ask yourself this: Should Tito's Barca, meet Pep's Bayern in the knockout stages of next seasons CL, do you really think we would progress? Even with a fit and firing Messi?

Faceless

No more faces at night
Thiago signed his contract extension in June 2011 up until 2015, while Pep was still coach and Rosell was President. But the low release clause virtually rendered the contract length irrelevant.

Good analogy!

You're right! We don't want to be like Chel$ki.

What sets Barca apart from most other clubs, is our world class cantera; La Masia. When Pep was coach he would look to our youth and improve them with good coaching, trust them in the senior team, let them learn from their mistakes, believe in them. And that belief was repaid by the likes of Busquets, Pedro, Pique, Cuenca, Tello and Thiago. Tito doesn't trust the youth. He would rather play Adriano in meaningless games, than blood a prospect like Bartra.
Young players make errors, and they can show inconsistency, this is normal. Pep understood this and that's what made him such a great man-manager. For a club that puts so much effort in to developing it's youth system, it's a waste not to utilize it.

Tito has done a good job in the league at achieving the target, which was to regain it. And he did it with flying colours; 100 points. But is this his ONLY objective? Is Tito - Mourinho? A coach that is only interested in securing his own legacy, leaving no foundation to build on in the future? We are not Real Madrid or Chel$ki. Barca's philosophy is trust in it's youth policy and compliment it with a few superstars from abroad. I really don't think Tito is good at coaching youngsters, so I don't see the point in pursuing with a stubborn, short-sighted, uninspiring, blundering, one-trick-pony.

I don't even want to look at the Thiago tread anymore, it's that depressing.:angry:

Ask yourself this: Should Tito's Barca, meet Pep's Bayern in the knockout stages of next seasons CL, do you really think we would progress? Even with a fit and firing Messi?

Well that's actually a good point. I don't think we would progress unless changes of Tito's management are being made drastically. Ok so happens Tito leaves, new manager comes in; then what?

ceefoo

Well that's actually a good point. I don't think we would progress unless changes of Tito's management are being made drastically. Ok so happens Tito leaves, new manager comes in; then what?
I'd want a coach that knows the clubs principles and believes in promoting the youth. My ideal choice would be Frank de Boer, but he has just signed a new contract at Ajax so he wouldn't come cheap.

Just so everyone is clear on my stance: I never said that Tito should be sacked, I said he should resign, and that would be ideal for both parties. He could concentrate on recovering from cancer and the club can get a coach that will be 100% committed to the team without the uncertainty of a serious illness.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Honestly speaking if Luis Enrique does well with Celta this year and Tito doesn't live up to expectations, it's pretty likely we could see him appointed as the new coach. And that scenario is very possible if not probable.

Faceless

No more faces at night
I'd want a coach that knows the clubs principles and believes in promoting the youth. My ideal choice would be Frank de Boer, but he has just signed a new contract at Ajax so he wouldn't come cheap.

Just so everyone is clear on my stance: I never said that Tito should be sacked, I said he should resign, and that would be ideal for both parties. He could concentrate on recovering from cancer and the club can get a coach that will be 100% committed to the team without the uncertainty of a serious illness.

Well that is at least better than shouting "tito the destroyer of barca" or "tito out". I just worry a new coach would mess up the club. Before the recent Jupp Heynckes Bayern return the club was pretty messed up with all their random transfers and shift of power in the dressing room due to the change in coach.(Especially the Louis Van Gaal era) We seen that in Chelsea as well, and the cycle goes back to Mourinho in the end. What's the point of that. Different case for us however.. Guardiola isn't coming back soon :(

Keikoku

Cabbage
Well that is at least better than shouting "tito the destroyer of barca" or "tito out". I just worry a new coach would mess up the club. Before the recent Jupp Heynckes Bayern return the club was pretty messed up with all their random transfers and shift of power in the dressing room due to the change in coach.(Especially the Louis Van Gaal era) We seen that in Chelsea as well, and the cycle goes back to Mourinho in the end. What's the point of that. Different case for us however.. Guardiola isn't coming back soon :(

:lol: true this. I was too once want Tito to be sacked after Madrid defeat. But then I remember Van Gaal which I support when he sacked :lol: I was upset we sack him and was willing to give more time at that point we was like in the 6th or 8th position I forgot (my memory isn't too friendly :lol:). Tito is just in his first year, mostly of us will compare him to Pep which is the best coach we've ever had. Sure he did alot of "weird" of policy, but hey people change, don't lose heart and being negative (tho honestly I think Tito won't change much :lol:). Let's trust and put faith on him, wish for the best!.

ebc_99

I think Barca will beat Bayern next year if they meet. Barca have still got the best 11 in the world by far, we just need to tweak things a little bit to reach peak performance again. If you think back to the 2007/08 and 2008/09 seasons there was a huge difference in performance but not in personnel, the starting 11 was pretty much the same. Guardiola transformed the clubs fortunes but he had the tools to do so. Barca where on the floor so it was much easier for him to lift them than it was for Tito, also nobody expected much from the team so they could go under the radar somewhat, and that was the peak of English footballs dominance in Europe and the competition from Germany, Italy, France and Real Madrid was not what it is now so Tito has it much harder that way. Guardiola ran when it got difficult, he should be still at the club now but he left. He felt the motivation was not there anymore in his players and left it to the next guy to try.

Guardiola also had alot more money to spend, over 90 million in the summer of both 2008 and 2009. A total of 184.8 million in his first 2 summer transfer windows, Tito has not got anywhere near that, he only spent 33 million last summer with the other 60 million that Pep had I bet Vilanova would have spent it much better, probably would have signed Thiago Silva and maybe another forward. The reason Tito did not have the same budget was because Pep wasted so much on useless signings, at least Tito knew what the club needed in Silva he just didn't have the money, Guardiola could have signed him 4 years ago but went for Chygrynskiy.

This season will be the one to judge Tito, if he is given the signings he wants then I am confident that Barca will be the best in Europe again. I also think Guardiola will find it very difficult in Munich.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I think it's delusional to continuously say we have the best 11 in the world by far. We used to but remember players aren't always the same. Players like Alves, Pique, Puyol, Xavi, Pedro, and Villa used to be great but now they are shadows of their former selves.

Bayern on the other hand have a fit, in prime squad who are in their winning period. The whole "Barca is stil lthe best team in the world" rant is what makes us weaker, when we don't acknowledge we were bested and that many things have to be done if we want to get back to the top.

Home of Barca Fans