Francesc "Tito" Vilanova

Maria

thumb.php

DennyCrane

By making Tito our new head coach, the right decision was made and I appreciate it. Although, for Tito, the team and the club, it will be a mammoth task to keep being successful. I can see many problems on the horizon.

- Although Tito has a high reputation among the culés; at the beginning of the season, he'll be the coach no one wanted. Therefore, he'll need instant success. The first 4-6 weeks of the upcoming season, even the friendlies, will be absolutely crucial. One slip-up, one mistake, one defeat, and the media will have a field-day on us and put the management under constant pressure to sack him for the entire season, especially the Madrid media will take this opportunity gladly to start harassing fires. It's basically the same situation we had with Pep in 2008 - but Peps footsteps are much bigger than Rijkaards were; a fact Pep due to his humbleness probably never really realized. And while Rijkaards departure was well taken, with Peps departure every culé in the world struggles to hold back the tears.

- "The end of an era", a headline often seen today. At the moment, it is referring to Peps departure. In the upcoming season, it will be reframed to the role of Barca in world football. From 2008 - 2011, this team was seen as invincible, unbeatable and basically out of reach for everybody. In the 2011/2012 season, this shine wore slowly off - at least according to journalists. In the upcoming season, they'll see the opportunity to kick us from our throne. You need to realize that sports media are getting tired and grow weary of Barca, they'll want a new star on the horizon: Seriously, read the articles from after the second leg against Chelsea and you can't help but notice a lot of hatred between the lines. The same goes for our opposition on the pitch: They finally see a chance now to beat us and they'll give it all they got. Our team needs to be at its very best, 95 % won't be enough.

- Everything Tito does and achieves will be measured by what Pep did and achieved. If he fails to win La Liga and at least reach the semis in Copa and CL, no matter the circumstances, a riot will probably kick off in the clubs circle. And while I'm sure that Tito is fully aware of this, it may put up mental barriers. It might keep him from experimentation and puttting his own ideas into the team, thereby keeping the team from evolving.

- He'll need time to fully express his idea of offensive football - which he won't get. I don't trust Rosell one bit and if the situation arises, he'll throw Tito out without much hesitation. I don't believe for one second that Rosell is satisfied with this solution. Tito shouldn't expect any support from that snake. But a good relation between Tito and Zubi might compensate this.

- The players: With the EC comes the time of transfer rumours and the club will probably be flooded with transfer requests, especially for our younger players. Also, we should expect the papers to flood us with headlines like "Dani Alves to Anzhi !?" or "Puyol and Xavi to LA Galaxy !?". I fear for the worst here. Also, our young players might be more willing to leave and Rosell going on a sellout-rampage, now that Pep is gone. I really don't know what Tito will do concerning our young prospects. But until then, I hope our players keep their mouth shut about leaving or negotiating with other clubs. Tito will have to watch carefully, that the team does not fall apart.

- Leo: I don't know, he seems to be affected heavily by Peps departure. He is, to be honest, my biggest concern. Pep means much to him. We have to be fully aware of the fact, that he stated more than once that he can't think of the club without Pep. While I think that he and Tito will get along just fine, I can only hope he can handle that situation with Pep.

Now that Tito has taken that challenge, he needs to be hard as nails. I'd go so far to say that this is probably the worst situation you can start as a coach. But I have faith in him, and if it were up to me, he'd get all the time he needs.

To put it in a nutshell: Mammoth task is an understatement. Tito needs to pull off a Pep.

In Tito I trust !

Ohio Catalan

I think this is just awesome. Ever since having to entertain the idea of Pep stepping away, I've always wanted Tito to be the man to replace him. They worked together, he was always the guy Pep talked to for advice or a different opinion -- it's perfect. He knows our players, our staff, and our philosophy, so I can't see any way we could have picked a better replacement. Sure, it will be asking a lot of the guy, but I think this is what he was waiting for, and I'm sure Pep knew the coach he could be. It is a shame that we have to say goodbye to Pep, a legend and a hero for us, but all we can do is smile and say thank you for everything we got to share together. This is a bittersweet day for us, but I can see this going splendidly just the same as it could fall apart. I am very excited for next season, and think the club have made a stellar move in reaction to Pep's resignation.

B

barcelonista

His full name is Francesc Vilanova. So from now on he shall be named ...

:cesc:

:pep:

BarcaOG

Banned
By making Tito our new head coach, the right decision was made and I appreciate it. Although, for Tito, the team and the club, it will be a mammoth task to keep being successful. I can see many problems on the horizon.

- Although Tito has a high reputation among the culés; at the beginning of the season, he'll be the coach no one wanted. Therefore, he'll need instant success. The first 4-6 weeks of the upcoming season, even the friendlies, will be absolutely crucial. One slip-up, one mistake, one defeat, and the media will have a field-day on us and put the management under constant pressure to sack him for the entire season, especially the Madrid media will take this opportunity gladly to start harassing fires. It's basically the same situation we had with Pep in 2008 - but Peps footsteps are much bigger than Rijkaards were; a fact Pep due to his humbleness probably never really realized. And while Rijkaards departure was well taken, with Peps departure every culé in the world struggles to hold back the tears.

- "The end of an era", a headline often seen today. At the moment, it is referring to Peps departure. In the upcoming season, it will be reframed to the role of Barca in world football. From 2008 - 2011, this team was seen as invincible, unbeatable and basically out of reach for everybody. In the 2011/2012 season, this shine wore slowly off - at least according to journalists. In the upcoming season, they'll see the opportunity to kick us from our throne. You need to realize that sports media are getting tired and grow weary of Barca, they'll want a new star on the horizon: Seriously, read the articles from after the second leg against Chelsea and you can't help but notice a lot of hatred between the lines. The same goes for our opposition on the pitch: They finally see a chance now to beat us and they'll give it all they got. Our team needs to be at its very best, 95 % won't be enough.

- Everything Tito does and achieves will be measured by what Pep did and achieved. If he fails to win La Liga and at least reach the semis in Copa and CL, no matter the circumstances, a riot will probably kick off in the clubs circle. And while I'm sure that Tito is fully aware of this, it may put up mental barriers. It might keep him from experimentation and puttting his own ideas into the team, thereby keeping the team from evolving.

- He'll need time to fully express his idea of offensive football - which he won't get. I don't trust Rosell one bit and if the situation arises, he'll throw Tito out without much hesitation. I don't believe for one second that Rosell is satisfied with this solution. Tito shouldn't expect any support from that snake. But a good relation between Tito and Zubi might compensate this.

- The players: With the EC comes the time of transfer rumours and the club will probably be flooded with transfer requests, especially for our younger players. Also, we should expect the papers to flood us with headlines like "Dani Alves to Anzhi !?" or "Puyol and Xavi to LA Galaxy !?". I fear for the worst here. Also, our young players might be more willing to leave and Rosell going on a sellout-rampage, now that Pep is gone. I really don't know what Tito will do concerning our young prospects. But until then, I hope our players keep their mouth shut about leaving or negotiating with other clubs. Tito will have to watch carefully, that the team does not fall apart.

- Leo: I don't know, he seems to be affected heavily by Peps departure. He is, to be honest, my biggest concern. Pep means much to him. We have to be fully aware of the fact, that he stated more than once that he can't think of the club without Pep. While I think that he and Tito will get along just fine, I can only hope he can handle that situation with Pep.

Now that Tito has taken that challenge, he needs to be hard as nails. I'd go so far to say that this is probably the worst situation you can start as a coach. But I have faith in him, and if it were up to me, he'd get all the time he needs.

To put it in a nutshell: Mammoth task is an understatement. Tito needs to pull off a Pep.

In Tito I trust !

well said.

i dont think many cules really like rosell

BerkeleyBernie

One should remember that Pep and the management knew last fall he was leaving at the end of this season- they just didn't want the players to know until the time was right (when La Liga and Champion's League outcome had been determined). So you can be sure Tito was also in on the news, and the transition has been in the works for months. I'm sure Tito's relationships with his players are already well-established- it's not going to be that drastic a change.

desoe

I was so busy thinking about us and our future, I totally forgot about RM and Mourinho.

Oh God, we should expect interesting times with Tito and Mou taking it personal. Maybe we'll see a part of Tito's character we never saw before (or at least - we saw once)

Home of Barca Fans