Francesc "Tito" Vilanova

desoe

For some people "Tito Vilanova" doesn't sound as exciting as "Bielsa" for example, but it's exciting to me.

I want to see how far he could go. If he's our "Capello after Sachi" - then awesome. If not - whateva, it's football. Life goes on, we'll move on.

I've read somewhere Pep mentioned Tito as a "special mind". I don't know what exactly he meant, but I'm eager to see. The most interesting part here is that nobody is aware of Tito Vilanova's true potential. It would be like a whole new experience to get on the train and witness by yourself how fast it is.

One of the reasons I was worried by the Bielsa option was his preference to work with a very small squad and picking the same starting XI almost everytime. Something which made me think about our canteranos or even about players like Thiago, who already looked so established under Pep. But now I'm more relaxed about that, because I know Tito will take care of them.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
It's the only logical/rational choice I could think of replacing Pep - but I have my doubts. I don't doubt his philosophy/theory, but he has a lot to prove to convince me he can handle the stress to be the leader of the best football club. I wish him the best but he has a lot to prove.

Clks

It's the only logical/rational choice I could think of replacing Pep - but I have my doubts. I don't doubt his philosophy/theory, but he has a lot to prove to convince me he can handle the stress to be the leader of the best football club. I wish him the best but he has a lot to prove.

Pep was in the same position when he started, trust our players and our staff. All they need is motivation.

desoe

Pep was a legend of the club, he already had enough confidence in him as he had so much success as a player and he was one of Barca's captains.

Tito doesn't have Pep's history in Barca, so certainly he's NOT in the same position Pep was. Which of course doesn't mean he's doomed or something like that. It's all up to him.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Pep had it easier in some ways. We were coming after 2 seasons without a trophy and expectations weren't that high.
The pressure on Tito will be enormous.

Pepe Silvia

Our most troubled times under Pep came when Tito was not on the bench (I believe Keita was playing in Africa at the time too - January). That should speak to the quality of Tito to provide forward thinking, insight, and imagination when Pep himself ran out of ideas.

Some observant folks would realize that for all the limelight Pep drew in with his super clean attire and look, it was Tito, the über plain looking fellow in the bubble jacket with whom he consulted, that provided much of the ingenuity that progressed us to new heights.

Welcome to the helm, Tito Villanova.

Clks

Pep had it easier in some ways. We were coming after 2 seasons without a trophy and expectations weren't that high.
The pressure on Tito will be enormous.

You could argue that Tito has a system and plan laid out for him though, Messi soon hitting his prime, Iniesta won't go anywhere. Pep had to change a LOT to bring us where we are, Tito only has to improve our imperfections, still a hard job to do but nowhere near what Pep went through imo.

Yugi

but you never know if Tito sticks to 343 system, maybe he will start with 212122 or something like that
I am looking forward to next season

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
I think appointing Tito was a way of not disrupting the system, which could be a good thing. The guys are probably comfortable with him and he knows the pressure of the job. He will not be surprised by much, as he has been Pep's right-hand man for all these years.

Even though I personally wanted Bielsa, it could have been a boom or bust scenario.

Superfly

Banned
If Barcelona win the cup final, Vilanova will be suspended for his first official game as head coach, first leg of the Super Cup [via sport]

Home of Barca Fans