Francesc "Tito" Vilanova

BerkeleyBernie

Man, forget about his substitutions, lineups and motivational skills. These are rather minor issues. The biggest, more fundamental problem is the total tactical disarray which I'm observing on the pitch. Look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffqXR0d1hjU

Look how organized they are under del Bosque. They have a concept and you can clearly see it. Look at those quick one-touch lay-offs inbetween the lines. Those are some insanely sexy moves. Look also how compact they are. It looks like they always have 5 or 6 players very close to each other, condensing the pitch so they can immediately win the ball back while attacking in numbers. They are doing this with Villa, Pedro, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Pique and Valdes on the pitch. It's basically Barca without Messi. And they don't need Messi to create chances against a very strong team (Ribery, Benzema, Matuidi, Cabaye, Pogba, Evra, Varane, Koscielny, Lloris, Valbuena ...).

And then compare it with Barca this season where the biggest attacking threat comes from Messi's individual skills and that's it. Then you have Dani Alves doing whatever he wants on the right side, pumping in one mindless cross after another into the box, Messi trotting around most of the time, Pedro and Alexis being non-factors because they are far too wide and look disconnected from the rest of their teammates, shitty transitioning, leaving huge spaces open and getting counterattacked in every single big game etc. etc. etc. It's just sad.

Yup. Tiki-taka isn't dead; Barça has stopped playing it as effectively (in order to accommodate Messi's playing preferences, as far as I can tell). The second leg against Milan was the exception, with Villa ahead of Messi centrally, and the team pressing more effectively. Arbeloa adds nothing to Spain's offense as right back, and is probably the least skilled player on the pitch, but at least he keeps possession, unlike the spectacularly wasteful Alves.

JimmyGuitarist

Man, forget about his substitutions, lineups and motivational skills. These are rather minor issues. The biggest, more fundamental problem is the total tactical disarray which I'm observing on the pitch. Look at this:

Look how organized they are under del Bosque. They have a concept and you can clearly see it. Look at those quick one-touch lay-offs inbetween the lines. Those are some insanely sexy moves. Look also how compact they are. It looks like they always have 5 or 6 players very close to each other, condensing the pitch so they can immediately win the ball back while attacking in numbers. They are doing this with Villa, Pedro, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Pique and Valdes on the pitch. It's basically Barca without Messi. And they don't need Messi to create chances against a very strong team (Ribery, Benzema, Matuidi, Cabaye, Pogba, Evra, Varane, Koscielny, Lloris, Valbuena ...).

And then compare it with Barca this season where the biggest attacking threat comes from Messi's individual skills and that's it. Then you have Dani Alves doing whatever he wants on the right side, pumping in one mindless cross after another into the box, Messi trotting around most of the time, Pedro and Alexis being non-factors because they are far too wide and look disconnected from the rest of their teammates, shitty transitioning, leaving huge spaces open and getting counterattacked in every single big game etc. etc. etc. It's just sad.
Fickle fanboys explaining tactics. That's all Tito needs.

Here's some passes being passed between lines for you.

Xtroverto

Barcelona are working on other options in case Vilanova would not totally recover. Pellegrini among coaches that were sounded out. [marca]

It's just Marca, but... a guy can dream, right? :lol:

Only about the other options part. Of course I want Tito to recover. Just a disclaimer, before anyone jumps all over me.

If Tito does not continue the club will go with an in house coach. Luis Enrique is the nr 1 option, another one would be Oscar Garcia who just won the league with Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Personally I wouldn't mind if the Garcia brothers took over, Oscar as head coach and Roger as his assistant. Both have plenty of experience and know the club in and out not to mention the youth development.

Last edited:

Cule4life

The Culest
Why does our coach have to be in house. The arrogance that only an in house coach is gifted enough to understand our "complex system" as if other teams have inferior systems and not to mention extremely disrespectful to other managers.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Why does our coach have to be in house. The arrogance that only an in house coach is gifted enough to understand our "complex system" as if other teams have inferior systems and not to mention extremely disrespectful to other managers.

There is a sound of truth in this, considering two of our most successful coaches have had in-house experience as players. Given, Rijkaard did have success while coaching us, yet some of it can probably be attributed back to the Dutch school of totaalvoetbal.

Darko

Yup. Tiki-taka isn't dead; Barça has stopped playing it as effectively (in order to accommodate Messi's playing preferences, as far as I can tell). The second leg against Milan was the exception, with Villa ahead of Messi centrally, and the team pressing more effectively. Arbeloa adds nothing to Spain's offense as right back, and is probably the least skilled player on the pitch, but at least he keeps possession, unlike the spectacularly wasteful Alves.

this x1000000
Tito out

This. I wouldn't mind someone who's played for us before, like Laudrup (though he's unproven at a top club and therefore a risk), but yeah, why the fuck does the coach have to be in house (especially considering there are few good choices available)? Even if we get a coach who's not in house, I think we'll still be playing the same system, or a similar one, since it's the type of system our players are suited for, and I think most top coaches would recognize that.

Spain play the same system with VDB. Why can't we do it with a coach who's not in-house? I think the whole "only an in house coach can understand our system" or whatever is BS.

ryuken

As much as i respect Tito for fighting cancer bravely, if he is gone for another 3 months next season, we will be stuck with Roura the incompetent and BlackBerry Z10, Q10, Whatsapp the assistant from New York again.

Doobs

The Messiah
As much as i respect Tito for fighting cancer bravely, if he is gone for another 3 months next season, we will be stuck with Roura the incompetent and BlackBerry Z10, Q10, Whatsapp the assistant from New York again.

It's cool BBM is coming to Android and iOS!

R

rivaldo10

Why should tito play la masia players? You need to have ability to bring young players in the squad and make them world class like pep did. Bringing young players like tito did against bayern is just wrong. That people said that tito was the mastermind and would have smilair succes like pep just annoyed me.

Home of Barca Fans