Willian

Raketa10

So is Willian going to be a sub for Dembele or vice versa? Or do we just sell Dembele or loan him out?

There is something called “squad depth” and why should anyone have a secured place in our starting 11? Look what that did to Suarez.

Last edited:

Raketa10

So we are bidding over 50m pounds for a bench player? Too much.

If you have 70 games in one season I would say 3 wingers are more than needed. For now we only have 2 of them and that’s if you count Coutinho as a winger.

EDIT:I don’t seriously count on Vidal and Denis!

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Or he could start ahead of Dembele if playing better than him or he could start to allow Coutinho in midfield.

Not about buying him to be a bench player.

I understand and agree with the part about competing for a spot, but if Willian is bought with the intention of using him as a starter that will take away minutes from Dembele, the latter won't have that many opportunities to demonstrate, develop and grow, and he was that 150m player we bought.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
If you have 70 games in one season I would say 3 wingers are more than needed. For now we only have 2 of them and that’s if you count Coutinho as a winger.

EDIT:I don’t seriously count on Vidal and Denis!

Rafinha can also play on the right.

Raketa10

I understand and agree with the part about competing for a spot, but if Willian is bought with the intention of using him as starter that will take away minutes from Dembele, the latter won't that many opportunities to demonstrate, develop and grow, and he was that 150m player we bought.

Dembele will have planty of chances this season. You can not limit your team just to secure a 20 year old kid starting position in every single game. He has to fight for it, this is Barca not Rennes.

JamDav1982

I understand and agree with the part about competing for a spot, but if Willian is bought with the intention of using him as starter that will take away minutes from Dembele, the latter won't that many opportunities to demonstrate, develop and grow, and he was that 150m player we bought.

Can flip it and say Dembele will learn more if pushed to perform for place in team and not there just to get minutes regardless.

The likes of Willian would not be bought as a defined starter or sub it would be to add more options and play on merit.

Who would you sign?

Raketa10

Rafinha can also play on the right.

So can I :D but that doesn't mean I am on the required level for Barca. Joking aside, we had a number of fantastic wingers in the past and now we basically have 1 extra talented kid on that position + Coutinho.

I wouldn’t have anything against Wilian for the right price but we simply have to add one aditional CM player to our current squad. Thiago+Willian or Willian+Rabiot and I would be more than satisfied with that. We would finally have an adequate squad depth.

Some people here are still dreaming about Pogba or Verratti or Eriksen but that WON’T happen so you have to strenghten the squad with some REALISTIC solutions. Of course I would never buy Willian for 80 mil it has to be much lower price.

Last edited:

Neeraj

Leaving the price aside, the notion of adding another winger would at least kind of make sense if Willian played LW; considering we don't have a pure LW. Buying an expensive 30 year old to be an alternate to a 150 million euro winger you've bought is downright retarded. If you're going to spend that much money, by all means spend it on a LW. Unless Valverde plans to buy a player and play him out of position, AGAIN. Wouldn't seem surprising to me.

Besides, the fact is, the wing is not the biggest problem area; I'd say we are in dire need of a striker. So we need about 200+ million euros worth of choice on the right wing, but a washed up Suarez alone for a striker is good enough?

This Willian deal at anything over 30-40m makes absolutely no sense to anyone in their right mind.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Can flip it and say Dembele will learn more if pushed to perform for place in team and not there just to get minutes regardless.

The likes of Willian would not be bought as a defined starter or sub it would be to add more options and play on merit.

Who would you sign?

I would not sign anybody (wingers), certainly not a 30-year-old Willian for the rumored 80m euros. So you are content with getting him at that price?

JamDav1982

I would not sign anybody (wingers), certainly not a 30-year-old Willian for the rumored 80m euros. So you are content with getting him at that price?

Totally disgaree and think Barca need more direct/pacey type forwards for next season and cannot be over reliant on Dembele for that.

80m for Willian is too much.

hamoon32

Look, Willian is not a goal scoring winger. Dembele, Coutinho, Denis, Rafinha is more than enough depth to do the job we want Willian do. If we are going to buy a winger, we need to be after someone who can finish. Willian's presence won't have a considerable effect on Suarez minutes. Even Coutinho is a much better option to rotate with Suarez as he is bigger goal threat.

This transfer is just dumb. The guy is not starter material and you don't pay 60 million for a rotational player, especially a 30 year old one.

Home of Barca Fans