Willian

BBZ8800

Why to get Willian instead of trusting Dembele and give him room to develop more. Dembele by time will be far better than Willian

Development is not linear and predictable.
Dembele could turn into what people here are expecting.
But also, he could stay at the current level forever or get worse due to losing pace over years, low confidence and 100s of other factors.

Dembele has POTENTIAL to be better than Willian one day.
Whether he will reach it, is a totally different story.

A current Willian is a better player than a current, raw and inexperienced Dembele, though.

Birdy

Willian is a fantastic signing for us!
People should really quit the logic 'where Dembele is going to play' and 'we are killing Dembele's development'. How can you be seriously arguing this after recent RM's success based on an excessively huge squad in terms of both quality and quantity??
You think that RM can win CL by bringing Bale from the bench, can win double by having Morata an James as LaLiga rotation in 16/17, but No, Barca should always play with a good starting XI and nothing else to support it??
You must have seen how bad our current squad is. You must have seen also the alarming state Suarez was at the beggining of last season
We need solutions, and good ones. We need not only Willian, but another attacker as well.
We don't also need clear and distinct differentiation between 'starters' and 'reserves', because it creates laziness and lack of competition, impacting both starters and reserves.
We need to get out of the shitty situation we are in in terms of squad quality

Dembele will only develop if he has healthy competition. EV was trusting more Vidal, Gomes or even Sergi Roberto at RW -solutions which are clearly non-Barca quality- because they were doing simple things he wanted that the young and tactically immature Dembele could not do. How is it bad to have another quality player to play when Dembele cannot cope with what EV wants??

Besides, this has nothing to do with formation. Either 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1, there are 4 forward players: two on the wings and two attackers or one '10' and one attacker. the RM or RW is cut for Willian, especially in games where EV would want the team to start pressuring close to the half way line and then break fast.

PS: Of course his price is not 80m. Something in the range of 40-50m is fair. I hope all of the deadweight we carry in our squad can be included to make the deal happen..

Last edited:

omidferoz

Why go after Willian when Martial is there? Dont make sense. Martial is younger has potiental to be a great player and is cheap as hell

Givenchy

Why go after Willian when Martial is there? Dont make sense. Martial is younger has potiental to be a great player and is cheap as hell

plus we avoid the non-EU situation. we could probably get Martial cheaper than Chelsea are quoting for Willian maybe Abidal will put a a stop to this shit

BBZ8800

Again, because Willian is a way better player right now.

Maybe the board is also tired of buying "what if" players, who aren't offering too much right now.

MTL_Barca

Again, because Willian is a way better player right now.

Maybe the board is also tired of buying "what if" players, who aren't offering too much right now.

Good thing the almighty board will never get tired of signing 30 year old players and blowing our wages through the roof.

Ronaldinho10

Good thing the almighty board will never get tired of signing 30 year old players and blowing our wages through the roof.

Honestly if he gives us two good seasons or more and helps us take cl from RM wouldn't his wages be worth it? I understand he isn't young anymore but if we promote the 4-5 promising LA masia players we currently have then all in all I see this as a good deal. As for Willian's current form I don't think there is any doubt..

MTL_Barca

Honestly if he gives us two good seasons or more and helps us take cl from RM wouldn't his wages be worth it? I understand he isn't young anymore but if we promote the 4-5 promising LA masia players we currently have then all in all I see this as a good deal. As for Willian's current form I don't think there is any doubt..

"What if we win CL" can be used on any transfer honestly. What if we dont? What if we would win without him too? What if Dembele plays less because of that?

You can all feel free to disagree but for me signing Willian for the prices that are gloating around would be stupid as hell. He's nowhere near the quality a starter should have and we need to integrate Dembele so we talk about a sub for like 70M? Thats just ridiculous no matter how you look at it.

GOAT_SUAREZ

Willian for 0€ is horrendous. Another almost 30-year old who would command another big fat wage for the last big contract of his life and would become a nuisance after 2 seasons. And give Valverde another chance/reason to keep benching Dembele, the one U23 player with potential in this team. After that why don't we just sell Dembele in a few years because of the lack of game time and let Madrid get both him and Mbappe. :facepalm:

Dembele was injured and wasn't in form. You obviously don't start him in that case. Almost user on here thinks they could coach better. Unreal.

Home of Barca Fans