Reputation of german players in Spain?

B

brilloo

Hi,
i'm playing a german online footballmanager called Comunio. In it's Forum a discussion came up about how our players are seen in other countries.

So now it's up to you. I'd like to know which players do you know? what do you think of 'em? Do you think they have to sign in an other league to become better players? Just tell me everything you are thinking about the german players. :)

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I don´t remember any quality German players playing in La Liga recently. As for German players reputation... I think it fell down considerable since the 90s. While Germany always has a great team, for the past 10 years or so they produced too few quality players.
As for the Barca link. We were being linked with Lahm over last few years. So I guess one could tell he has a good reputation in Spain.

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
Reputation of german players in La Liga, in the last few years, I think we don't have many examples (maybe none...), but in the '70s and '80s we have Schuster, Breitner, Stielike... well, not many...

Beast

The Observer
Weak i must say..
Although Germany managed to reach 2 consecutive semi-finals @ the WC one has to feel it's more about the collective & competitive spirit than individual strength .
the German league did get a good run of competitiveness last season one still look @ the constant failure for the German teams in the UCL
it's more local now than Global and to make a point Mario Gomez is a very local striker IMO, Podolski who look like a crack with Germany and shit with B Munich (or used to ) .
the youth squads has improved dramatically and i think in few years we might have another good generation

Ozil & Marin look like the next best thing and a good move for Werder to get both of them but i don't see the German teams capable of doing much harm you look @ most of the German national team and apart from Ballack most of them are not on the level of any big Club from the top 3 leagues .
i watched Wolfsburg (sadly they look lifeless without Magath but i'll wait for the new manager to kick start his tactics )-B Munich last week and it's amazing how piss poor the B Munich team is, from the midfield all the way to the keeper.
Probably one of the worst Bayern squads in the last 40 years if it wasn't for Ribery-Robben i wouldn't even consider them for a midtable place in la liga

Last edited:

Beast

The Observer
Metzelder love is over!??!

I would like to see Lahm in Barcelona!

It's not over.. Metz is a solid defender the kind of no nonsense big teams crave especially when those around him are more talented but less tactically committed .
But he is hardly as talented as other defenders

B

brilloo

Interesting answers so far.

Indeed Germanys strength is not the call of individual players, but the big pool from good players. Imo we have nearly every position filled with two or more equal players.

It would be great if someone could write one or two sentences to the following players. If u dont know 'em just skipp them :D

R.Adler (Leverkusen)
Enke (Hannover)
Neuer (Schalke)
Lahm (Munich)
Mertesacker (BRemen)
Tasci (Stuttgart)
Schäfer (Wolfsburg)
Beck (Hoffenheim)
Özil (Bremen)
Marin (Bremen)
Frings (Bremen)
Schweinsteiger (Munich)
Trochowski (Hamburg)
Rolfes (Leverkusen)
Hitzlsperger (Stuttgart)
Ballack (Chelsea)
Podolski (Cologne)
Gomez (Munich)
Kießling (Leverkusen)
Klose (Munich)
Helmes (Leverkusen)

I know, you probably dont know everone of them, especially the defenders, but as i said, just write something to the ones you know.

Of course im also interested in more general posts.

Thank you very much =)

EDIT: Im not really only about german players in la liga ;)

Last edited:

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Lahm (Munich) - Quality player though defensively he can improve. but a top class full back.
Mertesacker (BRemen) - A Donkey one of the worst german CB's I have ever seen
Schäfer (Wolfsburg) - Decent
Özil (Bremen) - Good
Marin (Bremen) - Has great potential and will defo be a mainstay in the german team for years to come
Frings (Bremen) - As I said I rate him highly - even more so than Ballack tbh.
Schweinsteiger (Munich) - Plays better for Germany than Bayern. Has some ability but not world class, though I'd definitely take him in our squad any day of the week.
Hitzlsperger (Stuttgart) - I liked him in england and has improved 10 fold in germany. Should play alongside Frings in the german central midfield.
Ballack (Chelsea) - Quality and experienced.
Podolski (Cologne) - Like Bastien.S plays better for Germany than for Bayern. Now at Cologne, so who knows...
Gomez (Munich) - A quality striker. Not yet world class but has the potential to be.
Klose (Munich) - I like him a lot I think he is a top class striker and should be the German No.1 choice up front.

Beast

The Observer

Indeed Germanys strength is not the call of individual players, but the big pool from good players. Imo we have nearly every position filled with two or more equal players.

It would be great if someone could write one or two sentences to the following players. If u dont know 'em just skipp them :D

R.Adler (Leverkusen)
Enke (Hannover)
Neuer (Schalke)
Lahm (Munich)
Mertesacker (BRemen)
Tasci (Stuttgart)
Schäfer (Wolfsburg)
Beck (Hoffenheim)
Özil (Bremen)
Marin (Bremen)
Frings (Bremen)
Schweinsteiger (Munich)
Trochowski (Hamburg)
Rolfes (Leverkusen)
Hitzlsperger (Stuttgart)
Ballack (Chelsea)
Podolski (Cologne)
Gomez (Munich)
Kießling (Leverkusen)
Klose (Munich)
Helmes (Leverkusen)

I know, you probably dont know everone of them, especially the defenders, but as i said, just write something to the ones you know.

Thank you very much =)

R.Adler (Leverkusen) ok
Enke (Hannover) crap
Neuer (Schalke) probably the best new keeper for the germans but hardly the level of Meier,Schumacker,Illegner or Khan
Lahm (Munich) very good full back
Mertesacker (BRemen) good defender
Tasci (Stuttgart) promising only
Schäfer (Wolfsburg) fame due to his team rise
Beck (Hoffenheim) very promising
Özil (Bremen) most talented German new talent
Marin (Bremen) same as above the new Littbarski IMO
Frings (Bremen) over for him ..
Schweinsteiger (Munich) what the hell happened to Schwini .. one hell of a shot , very inconsistent
Trochowski (Hamburg) not that good IMO , another Polish turned German footballer
Rolfes (Leverkusen) not that good
Hitzlsperger (Stuttgart)
Ballack (Chelsea) the best player out of Germany in the last 10 years and a jinx to any team as well
Podolski (Cologne) i like him a lot but he seem to have a mental weakness and need support from the manager
Gomez (Munich) Overrated crap
Kießling (Leverkusen) crap
Klose (Munich) best german striker in the last 10 years
Helmes (Leverkusen) what's with you & Leverkusen ? they are not that good , when old man Neuville gets ahead of you in the squad that says it all really

John Antonio Bilboa

Howard Roark laughed
Schweinsteiger & Podolski, were supposed to be the next big thing for german football but neither have progressed the way i thought they would have.
Honestly german football, has some many talented prospects but not many of the live up to that talent, outside of Germany.
Hitzlsperger is a case in point.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members

R.Adler (Leverkusen)
Enke (Hannover)
Neuer (Schalke)
Lahm (Munich)
Mertesacker (BRemen)
Tasci (Stuttgart)
Schäfer (Wolfsburg)
Beck (Hoffenheim)
Özil (Bremen)
Marin (Bremen)
Frings (Bremen)
Schweinsteiger (Munich)
Trochowski (Hamburg)
Rolfes (Leverkusen)
Hitzlsperger (Stuttgart)
Ballack (Chelsea)
Podolski (Cologne)
Gomez (Munich)
Kießling (Leverkusen)
Klose (Munich)
Helmes (Leverkusen)

Thank you very much =)

Lahm - One of the best left backs in the world. Germany's only world class player.
Mertesacker - Solid defender but no world beater
Ozil - Has a good reputation and is looking good
Frings- Really good player brilliant at WC2006
Schweinsteiger- Really good but doesn't deliver enough at club level.
Hitzlsperger- OK but surprised at him getting game for Germany not the best IMO
Ballack - Off the boil since Ero 2008
Podolski - Amazing at internationals, doesn't shine at club level
Gomez- Overrated, overpriced
Klose - Big game player and delivers, really like him.

V

Valon

I don't know about others but Mertesacker is my favorite german player. And I haven't liked a german player since Kopke and Lothar.

Home of Barca Fans