Andreu Fontas

Madness

Fontas...really?

I saw him in person at Barca's training session in Los Angeles, California this summer. My first thought was.."There is NO way this guy is a footballer. He must be a recipient of the Make-A-Wish Foundation (a kid with a terminal illness allowed to play with his heroes for a day)."

He looked completely out of place on the pitch. It was obvious that he is not very well coordinated. His physical build is more similar to an American Footballer or a Rugby player.

Watch the 1st half of Barca vs Seattle Sounders. Fontas started as CB. He made a very bad marking mistake and Ljunberg almost scored because of it. Xavi was clearly upset by that. From that point on Xavi did NOT pass back to him one time. I think Xavi knows Fontas is a terrible player. From what I have seen, Fontas's responsibilities on the pitch are very limited. He is there only to supply the defensive midfielders and stay back.

It almost seems to me that Barca is creating a false hype around Fontas and hoping that they can entice a bid from another team in a year or so.

Let me clarify my point before I get bombarded with insults.

All I am saying is that Fontas is NOT a player of Barca quality. I have a much better feeling about Muniesa.

Fontas may do well at some other club where he can use his physical size. Perhaps in the Premiership.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I saw him in person at Barca's training session in Los Angeles, California this summer. My first thought was.."There is NO way this guy is a footballer. He must be a recipient of the Make-A-Wish Foundation (a kid with a terminal illness allowed to play with his heroes for a day)."

He looked completely out of place on the pitch. It was obvious that he is not very well coordinated. His physical build is more similar to an American Footballer or a Rugby player.

Watch the 1st half of Barca vs Seattle Sounders. Fontas started as CB. He made a very bad marking mistake and Ljunberg almost scored because of it. Xavi was clearly upset by that. From that point on Xavi did NOT pass back to him one time. I think Xavi knows Fontas is a terrible player. From what I have seen, Fontas's responsibilities on the pitch are very limited. He is there only to supply the defensive midfielders and stay back.

It almost seems to me that Barca is creating a false hype around Fontas and hoping that they can entice a bid from another team in a year or so.

Let me clarify my point before I get bombarded with insults.

All I am saying is that Fontas is NOT a player of Barca quality. I have a much better feeling about Muniesa.

Fontas may do well at some other club where he can use his physical size. Perhaps in the Premiership.

That`s an interesting and surprising take as most of us were more impressed with Fontas than Muniesa in pre-season.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I agree with ya Bojan, just a bizarre take, IMHO...Fontas has looked terrific, quite ready in my opinion

beef-supreme

He won't make it at Barca imo.
Also I get what Madness means about the lack of physical co-ordination, I've seen this when he's played and this picture says it all I suppose:

barcelona+tottenham+andreu+fontas+pass.jpg

FCBNOF

Momo un Bello Uomo
I know right? lol

He hasn't got a chance to shine since we brought Chysus, he'll rot in the second team and more to a small team later on in his career.

beef-supreme

Hahahah come on look at the way a good footballer stands when he kicks or anticipates this ball, whereas Fontas looks so unco his hands and legs are really all over the place. If you photoshopped out the ball and the kit, and you showed it to someone familiar with football and unfamiliar with Barca - well they couldn't guess he's a footballer. But obviously I'm not basing my opinion on just that picture - in all the matches he's played he's been clumsy and he's not even always in the starting XI for the B team. Don't rate him at all.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
i hope he gets loaned out.
at least he will get some la liga action

I read a rumour in a Spanish paper that Zaragoza are inquiring about getting Fontas on loan for the rest of the season...I think it would be a great move for him

iookram

How bout Henrique??? I really hope he makes it at Barca. My preferred future centrebacks are Pique, Muniesa, Chygrynskyy, Henrique.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Bad news folks. Fontás is out for three months now after breaking five metatarsal bones on his left foot (meaning he smahed his toes basically).

barca96

west ham tried to sign fontas after meeting his buy out clause of 3mill euros.
but thankfully fontas rejected.

Home of Barca Fans