Witsel destroys a guys leg

Emily

Eww..Did you see the guy's leg after the foul?

Ouch..:smiley_scared:
I doubt if that player is going to play again..

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Eduardo's was just as bad, as were Cisse's. I think this guy has a pretty good chance of playing again.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
eduardo's wasn't as bad. his leg was hanging. like I said, this guy was looking direct at the sole of his foot. and it's more like it was crushed rather than just snapped off ala eduardo. I forget what cisse's was like but I do remember he was early 20's when it happened. wasilewski is 29. that will make a big difference.

I will be amazed if he plays again.

R

Red Devil

If he plays again I will show my arse on Old Trafford pitch all them injurys were terrible but this was to the level of David Bust at Old Trafford all them years ago .

They have set a date for his ban it is on tuesday I expect Fifa or Uefa to step in on this one its that bad I can this being abit of a landmark in terms of bans for bad tackles the lad shouldnt be allowed to play again in my view.

R

Red Devil

No I doubt he will but it would be a massive statement of intent if Fifa or Uefa showed some bollocks and gave him a 2 year ban or even a 1 year ban .

Didnt a Inter player get a 1 year ban for swinging a punch and kick at someone this is far worse isnt it .

In my eyes this is assualt of the highest order and off pitch you would do hard time for it .

Galning

Nasty injury although I have to say that the victim (Wasilewski) kicked Witsel on the back a few months ago, and you can still see his stuts on Witsel's back.
It's still a dead serious tackle though.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
I think FIFA and UEFA need to make an example of Witsel and ban him for a long, long time if not forever.

R

Red Devil

Standard Liege midfielder Axel Witsel has been banned until 23 November for the tackle which broke Anderlecht defender Marcin Wasilewski's leg.

Witsel was sent off for the foot-up challenge in the 24th minute of Sunday's Jupiler League clash. Wasilewski's lower leg snapped in half in the tackle and he is expected to be out for at least 12 months.

Witsel, 20, was today banned from playing in the domestic league for nearly three months and fined by the sporting committee of the Belgian FA.

A statement on Standard's official website read: "The Sporting Committee decided to suspend the player until November 23, 2009 and to fine him 2,500 euros. They also specified that a copy of the file would be sent to UEFA and FIFA."

Witsel has already apologised for the reckless tackle, claiming it was not intentional. Standard are in Group H of the UEFA Champions League, along with Arsenal, AZ Alkmaar and Olympiacos

3 months but they also say a copy of the file is to be sent to Fifa and Uefa who I suspect will be under huge pressure to ban him even further.

F

FCB_Titi_LB

alot of ignorant users....
those kind of tackles happen EVERY WEEK....but not always have same effects offcourse...pressure points...
offcourse it's ashame that guy broke his leg but look at the fault itself instead of injury.
And it was intentional (u see him stop and jumping on his legs)....so needs to be punished severely ...YES

BUT i'm very glad wazilewski aint playing on Belgian fields anymore...the most dirty player out there....even dirtier than materazzi....
some guys give elbows ...but this guy cant keep up,looks at attacker,hits a severe elbow right in the face..500 % intentional.
week after week.

Witsel was crowned best player of competition so i'm sure he doesnt play football to hurt people allthough he was canalising his anger on Wazilewski.
Wazi is a defender who stops attackers whatever the costs and hurt alot of players. Not only that, he also speaks openly about it and telling football aint for pussies. He is dirt.

Ban both for a long time .

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
3 month ban, I think that's fair, I wasn't sure if they were going to ban him for a few months or a lot more. Judging from the reactions of the media I thought it would be at least 6 months.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
David Navarro gets an 8 month ban for punching someone yet this guy, who has possibly ended a player's career with an unbelievably bad tackle gets 3 month and a platry fine. How does that work ?

Home of Barca Fans