Additional Referees in Europa League

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Nah I don't watch football. I'm saying all this based on what my friends tell me and articles I read on the internet.

Last edited:

beef-supreme

I think that there should be two technological implementations:

1. Goal-line technology (to see if the ball crosses the line)
2. Well since everyone has their own little apple chips in their nike trainers that can track where you run and how much etc... I'm sure that somehow a technology could be developed to monitor the movement of players, and determine on a simplified computer screen whether there has been an offside. In fact they could even programme it to be automatised, so that the computer situated off the pitch makes a noise in the linesman's earpiece, to confirm whether or not there has been an offside. That would ensure that linesmen miss nothing.

As for an appeals system, imo that would add even more interruptions and devious tactics, time-wasting and other factors to make the game choppy. It would really go against teams as well who need the game to flow to play beautiful football (hint hint Barca).

This additional referees scheme is strange, but it's not TOO radical. I don't know if i'll get used to 2 more officials on the pitch though...

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Nah I don't see time-wasting being an issue. Like I said, if they were to implement it they should only allow it to be used for big issues like disallowed goals, or goals that shouldn't have been allowed due to an offside or so on. It doesn't take long for a player to say, "we'd like to appeal", the referee to then inform the 4th official by microphone, then no more than 15-20 seconds to study footage, then a decision is made. Easy as pie. And like I said, there isn't even big issues and controversies every game, so it's not like it would ruin football like some people like to say.

The additional referees idea is bullshit. Use the goal-line technology to sort out the 'did it cross the line' issue.

beef-supreme

I see the logic in it but it would hardly be that simple. One player alone can't decide to make an appeal because it's a team game. The whole team would have to huddle up and discuss, then delegate someone to "make the appeal" - it just wouldn't work in football. The hawkeye works in tennis becuase there's just one player making decisions for himself. But in football since it's a team game it would be different.

Yes the additional refs idea is stupid when compared with the goal-line technology alternatives, but since UEFA or FIFA won't make radical technological decisions yet, this is better than nothing and it's a development. Penalty claims can also be monitored more carefully, as well as action after breaks and counter-attacks.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
I wouldn't think the players would need to do much discussing, if for example a player scores but could be judged to have been offside, a defender could just tell the captain he's confident of it, then the captain informs the referee. If a player isn't confident of it then don't even bother, either that or just try it for the hell of it. :D

PaulFCB

Banned
What a load of crap. All they need is the 4th official with a fucking TV screen. They are worry about the game being too stop start if they introduce video technology, but there is an easy solution to that, an appeals system.

Similar to tennis...lets say 3 appeals/game? Might be a good choice really! Of course, there's a big difference between a penalty/goal and a simple point in a game of tennis.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Then you lose the CL final to a dive from a player and you'll call for video technology right? People always call for video technology when it suits them, but when it doesn't then it's going to ruin football. People need some consistency.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
Goal line technology is needed badly. If there had been a ref behind the goal where Eduardo had dived vs Celtic he wouldn't have given it.

Home of Barca Fans