20 - Sergi Roberto

Jombi

How can people compare meaningless friendly games to real competitive games? They are two different worlds.

Joan

Yada, yada, yada... nobody's comparing no friendlies to competitive matches. Sure successes in preseason don't guarantee anything, but players can show promising signs which fans can rely upon. If one keeps an eye on the opposition. It's not like they're playing tennis. All ideas one can get from these matches have to be tested, of course, doesn't mean they might not work.

GroneDanone

So, is nobody going to talk about what a masterpiece this was of him against Milan? The boss of our midfield, omnipresent and with a playmaking presence that was nothing short of impressive. The way he distributed the ball was something I did not expect of him so quickly – precise long balls with the left and right foot, always aware of where opponents and teammates are, and he has really improved at making the turns you need to withstand pressing.

If he can constantly play like this, he could be our best midfielder as soon as this year if given the chance (not counting Coutinho). Of course he has to prove himself at that position against the best when it matters in order to be regarded as highly as Sergio or Rakitic. But he has shown a maturity, composure, leadership and playmaking skills during this preseason that, combined with his other well-known qualities (dynamic and tireless tactical genius with Barça-DNA), could make him our most important piece in the midfield going forward.

Still underappreciated even by Culés. As much as I love what Arthur has shown, he's still a 21 y/o new lad who has to work on a lot of aspects of his game (using his left foot, for starters, but also passing a bit more quickly and of course getting used to the tempo in Spain/UCL and Barça's playing style). There is no reason to have him higher in the pecking order than Sergi, and the same is true of Vidal and even Rakitic. Sergi's just an incredibly special and virtually unique player!

Arizona Scott

I have always thought Sergi is best on the wings. I don't think he processes the full field--threats and opps--as the true elite central midfielders. I do however think it was a crime players like Vasquez, Nacho and Odriozola made the NT over him (with the transfer of the latter do we see a trend?). Do I think he is or will ever be central midfielder (or more CDM in particular) with control like Busquets or Xabi or Pirlo, or interceptor/destroyer like Kante, Casemiro or the ideal model of Viera, none of the above. Closer to home, I also think Rakitic or Vidal would be better in the double pivot with Busquets. Again I just think their field mental processes is a notch better against elite opponents--less likely to lose possession from a sneaky tracking back player and more likely to see the whole field in front of them. IMO Sergi is a good squad player for Barca and his versatility a plus--but I don't think he will ever be one of the best Barca starters nor world's best at any position. There was a reason we tried out Cesc, later sprung for Rakitic, and now brought in the olds--Vidal and young--Arthur as part of the post Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets transition. Busquets is only 3.5 years older, not like Sergi is a spring chicken. Sergi has found a way to be a contributing starter by being a more than solid right back, he took advantage of the Alves situation and more error prone alternatives to start many Barcelona matches. He helped Barca win 2 of the last 3 league titles, 3 of the last 3 cups, and will remain a contributing player.

xXKonan

Roberto's best role Midfield wise IMO is DM especially if you pair him up with two CM's who can help migrate some of his flaws.

What helped Roberto thrive in Preseason was his two CM partners in front of him On one side you had Rafinha/Puig, who were helped provide the attacking and creative options in the Midfield and on the other side you had Arthur who secured the Midfield as a controller and kept things ticking and retained possession without hardly ever losing the ball.

It was a real balanced Midfield. Pairing Roberto up with those three took pressure off Roberto for him to do his thing, as him coming down deep and getting the ball from the CBs/Cillessen acting like a third CB at times and distributing the ball to either Arthur or Rafinha/Puig and also Push up when needed.

Roberto would have struggled a bit in the DM spot if he was paired up with Gomes and Denis. With Gomes not know anything what to do with the ball and Denis who's positioning in the Midfield is wank and while he is known for taking risks he loses the ball a lot with his decision making as well.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Roberto's best role Midfield wise IMO is DM especially if you pair him up with two CM's who can help migrate some of his flaws.

What helped Roberto thrive in Preseason was his two CM partners in front of him On one side you had Rafinha/Puig, who were helped provide the attacking and creative options in the Midfield and on the other side you had Arthur who secured the Midfield as a controller and kept things ticking and retained possession without hardly ever losing the ball.

It was a real balanced Midfield. Pairing Roberto up with those three took pressure off Roberto for him to do his thing, as him coming down deep and getting the ball from the CBs/Cillessen acting like a third CB at times and distributing the ball to either Arthur or Rafinha/Puig and also Push up when needed.

Roberto would have struggled a bit in the DM spot if he was paired up with Gomes and Denis. With Gomes not know anything what to do with the ball and Denis who's positioning in the Midfield is wank and while he is known for taking risks he loses the ball a lot with his decision making as well.

I don't think even pairing Xavi with gomes and denis would obtain anything good

soul24rage

[tw]1027883318652686338[/tw]

Bob as 4th captain! he came a long way and big congrats to him. Truly a great model for la masia kids

Arizona Scott

Not ideal, but we don't have a Kyle Walker (I think him and Kimmich are the best personally) or Carvajal to play there. I personally think Sergi is better on the wing than in the center (he doesn't process the field and make quick decisions among multiple options in front of him as well as Vidal or Rakitic, let alone Busquets level), and I think for now he rounds out the team of the RB options available. Semedo could get better as a team player/piece of the Barca puzzle--but he isn't the yet IMO. Rather have some mistakes or cases of being overmatched (Sergi), than more mistakes and wasted possessions (Semedo).

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
He really was awful today, both in midfield and at RB.

As said before, jack of all trades but you really don't want him playing a significant role at any of those positions. Barca should not settle for having players of that level at crucial positions.

If anything he should be used more often to sub for Busi rather than as a CM. He can keep on as backup RB

BBZ8800

People are forgetting, but a few times already his Cm performances caused replies: he should never play as a Cm again.

He is way better as a Cdm than Cm.

He should be a starter Rb and a sub for Busquets when needed.

fergus90

He’s a good squad player to have, plus he can produce moments of brilliance, such as the run leading up to Messi’s goal vs Madrid.

However he is a bit limited and never really shines when in midfield, with betis away being the only game I can think where he was very good.

Thing is, he’s from la Masia and has been made 4th captain so I think he will shoehorned in the side whatever.

Home of Barca Fans