20 - Sergi Roberto

xXKonan

I wish him well in his recovery.

But this is probably for the best right now that he's not going to be playing as a starter for a bit. As of right now, this team cannot afford to carry both Pique and Roberto with both being poor defensively anymore.

cro-man

There were times where he wasnt even good enough for the bench and now is a starter and one of our captains. I feel he is a decent squad player for the bench at best and if semedo is not good enough to bench him we need a new rb. We hold too long on some players till we reach the point we need to replace them all at once. The worst thing is we are overpaying them also and they are getting more money for playing bad...

xXKonan

and you have the decency to call yourself "fans".
Nothing wrong with criticizing Roberto, not at all.

Roberto is a great role model to La Masia players, especially in his case how far he has come since 2013 as he was close to leaving the club after not getting the game time and not impressing enough. Lucho gave him a chance and he worked hard and found a spot on the team.

But despite all that he shouldn't be immune to criticism either even if he's a local boy who came through the ranks. Despite the hard work and how far he improved, that really isn't enough to be a starting player for a club like ours.

RB is his best position but he has flaws that I doubt will be ever fixed and some that just can't be fixed as in pace and better technical ability with the ball at his feet. He's not "Slow" Like Rakitic, Pique etc slow but he really lacks that explosiveness that is crucial to most Fullbacks these days on both ends of the field.

Alves lost his pace but made up for it with intelligence and pure technical ability. Roberto has some good technical ability and while he isn't Brainless either He's actually pretty smart, it's not enough to make up for some of his major flaws.

When it comes to his defending, you can write pretty much an essay on just how limited he can be there. It's not due to a lack of effort though, you can clearly see how hard is trying but it's just not working for him.

I theorize that he can be good in a system like in a 3-4-3/3-5-2 as an RWB, and having a defensive RCB in the back three and a good workhorse Midfielder to help protect him and cover up for some of his defensive flaws like Conte's Chelsea. But we don't have a system like that and he has a Slow Rakitic and an out of form/Declining Pique trying to cover for him going forward.

gatsu

Nothing wrong with criticizing Roberto, not at all.

Roberto is a great role model to La Masia players, especially in his case how far he has come since 2013 as he was close to leaving the club after not getting the game time and not impressing enough. Lucho gave him a chance and he worked hard and found a spot on the team.

But despite all that he shouldn't be immune to criticism either even if he's a local boy who came through the ranks. Despite the hard work and how far he improved, that really isn't enough to be a starting player for a club like ours.

RB is his best position but he has flaws that I doubt will be ever fixed and some that just can't be fixed as in pace and better technical ability with the ball at his feet. He's not "Slow" Like Rakitic, Pique etc slow but he really lacks that explosiveness that is crucial to most Fullbacks these days on both ends of the field.

Alves lost his pace but made up for it with intelligence and pure technical ability. Roberto has some good technical ability and while he isn't Brainless either He's actually pretty smart, it's not enough to make up for some of his major flaws.

When it comes to his defending, you can write pretty much an essay on just how limited he can be there. It's not due to a lack of effort though, you can clearly see how hard is trying but it's just not working for him.

I theorize that he can be good in a system like in a 3-4-3/3-5-2 as an RWB, and having a defensive RCB in the back three and a good workhorse Midfielder to help protect him and cover up for some of his defensive flaws like Conte's Chelsea. But we don't have a system like that and he has a Slow Rakitic and an out of form/Declining Pique trying to cover for him going forward.

You don't need to be Bolt to perform Well in our system. You need to think and make the optimal choice quickly and be fast when performing technical gestures (turns, control, pass...). In that regard Roberto is one of our worst players. With respect to his abilities, Roberto is not compatible with Barça playstyle.

FCBfan22

Hee is apparently an alternative to play CB according to MD.

First Vermaelen LB, now Bob CB...

What's next? Suarez DM?
:valverde:

Donatello

Hee is apparently an alternative to play CB according to MD.

First Vermaelen LB, now Bob CB...

What's next? Suarez DM?
:valverde:

I think Semedo would be a better choice, he is taller, stronger and very good defensively compared to Bob. Plus his lack of offensive instincts make it even better if he plays at CB.

The only issue would be his ball distribution, if he plays at the back.

Last edited:

FCBfan22

I think Semedo would be a better choice, he is taller, stronger and very good defensively compared to Bob. Plus his lack of offensive instincts make it even better if he plays at CB.

The only issue would be his ball distribution, if he plays at the back.

Exactly. The worst part of Bob's game is his defending, so why the hell would you play him at CB.

khaled_a_d

Roberto is actually one cm taller than Semedo, but yeah Semedo is my prefered choice for CB from the rest of the squad

xXKonan

Semedo in a pure defensive CB stopper role with Roberto as an RB might work because of Semedo's pace and his 1v1 abilities in defending are pretty good.

I said it in the chat a while ago if you had a CB like Puyol and Masche at RCB to cover for Roberto it could work.

Home of Barca Fans