20 - Sergi Roberto

vlad

He played bad, but dembele's "defending" clearly didnt help him, and 1vs1 against players with great dribbling skills on big space, even proper RB would struggle, valverde needs zo fix that, throwing just semedo in is not solution, barca just cant leave so much space there

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
I like Roberto, he is a decent player - he would even be a decent player to have if prime Xavi and Alves would be here theoretically. But we need another RB, Roberto should be our AM, CM, DM rotation/impact/sub/starter and sometime RB if needed. He's not bad at RB, but more needed in midfield with the scrubs we have there.

Zincubus

Banned
Blah-blah-blah same stuff again. Yes, he is very suspect in one vs ones against a winger. All right backs are actually if the man in question is Hazard. Regardless of how shit Hazard was today, his dribbling was still quite good as it is usually the case. And it was evident that Chelsea targeted our right flank, they were creating overloads time after time there. Roberto will always struggle in such conditions. Still had a couple of nice tackles and did not make big mistakes.

There is no one better for the job atm, Semedo hasn't convinced me yet. Roberto is 26 already. Now I just sort of hope he gets the chance to play a full season in midfield until he is 30+ years old.

One mishap and he gets the axe :lol:. He was bad today, but how many times did he play bad ?

He has played well this season and bad today. So what? He will get some midfield time anyway next year due to some players leaving there.

He's always defended despite all his mistakes .

Last night his positional play was unacceptable.

Nothing to do with facing Hazard as he never got close to him anyways.

He was caught out of position endlessly throughout the whole game .

Alonso and a few others were all getting clear shots on goal or crossing dangerous balls from the RB area .

Sorin

I feel that he was our worst player last night, and it's not because he was beaten multiple times 1 on 1 or 2 on 1, since he was left alone most of the time. So much a player can do against the likes of Hazard, Alonso and Willian coming in waves. On the other hand some of that was his own doing(+ Dembele defensive weakness granted). But he was caught out of position so many times that i don't have fingers on my hands to count them. He was so tucked in near Pique that not only one Chelsea player was left alone, but 2 with acres of spaces ahead of them. Maybe it was Valverde's instruction to keep it tight in the middle but for the life of me I do not understand this fear when only Giroud was occupying Pique while all the other Chelsea players were attacking our flanks. Am i supposed to believe that Pique can't even mark fecking Giroud out of the game on his own?

Anyway, Roberto is what he is at this point. His ceiling as a full back is not that high. At least not for a club of our size and demands. He has done ok, many times great, but we shouldn't really continue with him as fist choice RB imo. This year I understand it, but from the next year he should only be a back-up. If Semedo is the one to start or someone else, we should absolutely get more from our right sided fullback than this.

henias

He just cannot play against physical and faster teams and if EV wants to emphasize on defence then he isn't quite fit for a RB. Even when Dembele came off, Vidal was still doing most of the defensive work, Roberto just looks too vulnerable to fast wingers. Alonso and Willian were just dribbling past him like he weren't even there. I remember Semedo got blamed for a 2v1 situation against Valencia that resulted in a goal except Roberto was lucky not to have a goal conceded. Roberto was easily beaten in a 1v1, 2v1 and was way too short and slow to cause any physical presence for the wingers. Rakitic was another one who is also very slow.

That being said Umtiti and Pique needs to not both press too high up at the same time because at one point Busquets was left to mark Alonso and resulted in the alleged dive when Pique rushed back too late. They need to hold their positions and mark Giroud or Alonso, not both rushing up because of Willian. Understandably tho, they all were very afraid of Willians every movement.

I think in big games, Semedo still eventually needs to help out Roberto defensively. Both will have their strengths and EV needs to use them wisely. Roberto in midfield doesnt seem too bad either.

Last edited:

ASordidGod

Wasn't anywhere near good enough, but if that surprises anyone well then I don't know what to say. Semedo when he recovers has to be a consideration in the big away games surely, if only for his pace/recovery.

ATLBarcaFan

I like Roberto and he would be an excellent option in midfield. He's a bit of a fish out of water at RB, hope Semedo will eventually wrest that job away from him.

Tekkers

He played bad, but dembele's "defending" clearly didnt help him, and 1vs1 against players with great dribbling skills on big space, even proper RB would struggle, valverde needs zo fix that, throwing just semedo in is not solution, barca just cant leave so much space there

Dembele's defending? Dembele was constantly out of position covering for Sergi throughout the match. He's a WINGER, not a defensive midfielder.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Roberto was left exposed because Chelsea outclassed Barca tactically. Barca were completely outnumbered in the centre of the park because Hazard and Willian went so narrow, it was basically Hazard-Giroud-Willian-Kante-Cesc in the middle vs Busquets-Rakitic and Iniesta. Roberto was very likely instructed to follow Hazard wherever he went. Unfortunately, Roberto is not a good enough defender to deal with a player with Hazard's dribbling and quality on the ball. Him following Hazard left oodles of space for Marcos Alonso to move into and attack. It's not as if on the other side things were totally different. Alba was busy with Moses and consequently Willian did as he pleased, waltzing through the Barca midfield. And at the same time, Giroud was pulling Umtiti out of position with quick one touch passing. Actually all 3 Chelsea forwards made a concerted attempt to play one touch and pull Barca players off position.

Yeah, Roberto had probably the worst defensive performance since the season started, and he's not a great 1v1 defender, but Chelsea's formation and ability to create numerical superiority left him completely exposed. Dembele had a great defensive effort to make that one tackle, but beyond that he really was not great defensively. It's not like he's a winger in a 4-3-3 who can chill upfront, a 4-4-2 while Chelsea are overwhelming Barca's midfield area demands more defensive work than he was able to provide or was interested in providing. Also I believe that Roberto was instructed to follow Hazard wherever he went, because Roberto does not end up to Umtiti's left normally in any game of his own accord.

It might be expecting too much of Roberto, a central midfielder, to be a tactically astute right back with elite defensive instincts, which is what was required yesterday.

He just cannot play against physical and faster teams and if EV wants to emphasize on defence then he isn't quite fit for a RB. Even when Dembele came off, Vidal was still doing most of the defensive work, Roberto just looks too vulnerable to fast wingers. Alonso and Willian were just dribbling past him like he weren't even there. I remember Semedo got blamed for a 2v1 situation against Valencia that resulted in a goal except Roberto was lucky not to have a goal conceded. Roberto was easily beaten in a 1v1, 2v1 and was way too short and slow to cause any physical presence for the wingers. Rakitic was another one who is also very slow.

That being said Umtiti and Pique needs to not both press too high up at the same time because at one point Busquets was left to mark Alonso and resulted in the alleged dive when Pique rushed back too late. They need to hold their positions and mark Giroud or Alonso, not both rushing up because of Willian. Understandably tho, they all were very afraid of Willians every movement.

I think in big games, Semedo still eventually needs to help out Roberto defensively. Both will have their strengths and EV needs to use them wisely. Roberto in midfield doesnt seem too bad either.

Willian was dribbling past pretty much every Barca player he came across yesterday. I may be misremembering, but it seemed like Roberto was actually the only player who managed to put in a successful tackle on Willian.

Edit: Actually I think Paulinho managed to put in a couple of tackles on Willian. Paulinho was not bad yesterday.

Last edited:

henias

Willian was dribbling past pretty much every Barca player he came across yesterday. I may be misremembering, but it seemed like Roberto was actually the only player who managed to put in a successful tackle on Willian.

Edit: Actually I think Paulinho managed to put in a couple of tackles on Willian. Paulinho was not bad yesterday.

Yeah but he looks too easy to get past and didnt had the speed to even chase the ball or put even some kind of pressure compared to Alba. He is just too physically disadvantaged to be in that position.

xXKonan

The reason Sergi Roberto has not been called up by Spain

-Lopetegui and his staff preferred to pick a "specific right-back"

The absence of Sergi Roberto was one of the big surprises in Julen Lopetegui's Spain squad for the upcoming friendlies against Germany and Argentina.

La razón por la que Sergi Roberto no va a la Roja

Lopetegui didn't go into great details in his press conference about the reason he left the Barcelona man out, but SPORT have been told that the reason La Roja have not called him up is because they prefer to have a "specific right-back."

Dani Carvajal is Lopetegui's preferred right-back and in this squad his back up will be Real Sociedad's Alvaro Odriozloa. It's a surprising decision given Sergi Roberto's form at full-back in hugely demanding games, such as against Atletico Madrid and Chelsea.

Meanwhile, Odriozola's form has dipped along with Real Sociedad in general, as evidenced in last weekend's game at Cornella against Espanyol.

Spain coach Lopetegui has not closed the door on Sergi Roberto and his staff say that the Barça player "has not been ruled out for the World Cup, he's one of the players we like."

https://www.sport-english.com/en/ne...berto-has-not-been-called-up-by-spain-6695382

serghei

Roberto is not good in 1 vs 1. This is not just any flaw, this is one of the main strong points a fullback has to possess. We're not talking about situations where he is outnumbered. We're talking about skilled players taking him on and beating him. Wingers know this about him, and they force 1 vs 1s on his side more than against Alba, who is a lot harder to beat in these duels.

If we play City for example in the semifinal, there's no way we should trust Roberto vs a quick and technical player like Sane. Sane could take him on all night and beat him consistently if he has him isolated. And it will happen because teams leave space wide when they defend in order to block central areas better.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans