20 - Sergi Roberto

hulinat

Defending like today is why you don't replace Dani Alves with a midfielder. He should of only been a back up, not our main option.

He is also no where near imposing enough when attacking. I was okay with giving him a chance last year, but he is not what we need.

Yeah cus alves was known for his sick defending skills lol.

kilian

Alves was/is a pretty good defender and more importantly very aggressive in pressing the opposition players, which led to many interceptions, but also many small fouls that interrupted opposition`s game flow.

I will give just one example - the first Messi`s goal against Bayern in 14/15 ; Alves won the duel high up the pitch and played a pass to Messi in good position. The rest is history.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona

alves was one of the strongest 1v1 defender. It's just he lost pace later in his career so he couldn't catch up to opponents when he was on the opposite end of the flank due to his attacking nature

SocalBarcaFan

He hasn't been at his best for the last couple months or so, but what happened to everyone who was saying Alves who? Some of his performances early in the season were at the level of prime Alves and that's not an exaggeration. Didn't Roberto pick up an injury this season? I forget. Maybe that's why he is underperforming. Either way I agree with those who say he should move back to midfield. Unless we get Verrtati (90% chances that WONT happen) he is the perfect complement to iniesta and busquets in the midfield. Unless we switch to a double pivot with Messi as the AM which in that case he'd be the perfect partner for Busi in the pivot

Last edited:
F

FlaFCB

Some of his performances early in the season were at the level of prime Alves and that's not an exaggeration.

Yes, it is. A huge one too. Insane people already forgot how Alves played in his prime. Roberto has never performed remotely close to that.

SocalBarcaFan

Yes, it is. A huge one too. Insane people already forgot how Alves played in his prime. Roberto has never performed remotely close to that.

No it's not. Go back and look at the posts. Everyone was singing his praises. Right now Roberto and the team in general aren't at their best and everyone is picking players apart. The games earlier where Roberto had like 2 assists and could have had more if it wasn't for teammates missing open nets. The only thing that was missing for Roberto was a couple long range goals

F

FlaFCB

No it's not. Go back and look at the posts. Everyone was singing his praises. Right now Roberto and the team in general aren't at their best and everyone is picking players apart. The games earlier where Roberto had like 2 assists and could have had more if it wasn't for teammates missing open nets. The only thing that was missing for Roberto was a couple long range goals

People posting that don't make it true. Roberto never played at Alves' prime level. And he never will.
It's actually disrespectful to the best rb Barça ever had.

F

FlaFCB

Says you. Of course he didn't do it consistently but how can you not says those multiple assist games weren't t least close to Alves?

Multiple assists? Alves was a lot more than that. The right flank was all his. He was an unstoppable machine going up and down. And excellent at both ends, attacking and defending. Also his great understanding with Messi.
You should do yourself a favor and find some matches from 2008/09/10/11 before saying stuff like that.

SocalBarcaFan

Trust me I have watched almost every game since the 08/09 season. I am not discounting what Alves did. I am trying to show what kind of class Roberto showed early in the season by using Alves as an example because he was so great. Yea Alves was more than just assists but so was Roberto in those games I was speaking of. Great dribbles, defending, crosses etc. I think what a lot of people are so down on Roberto for right now is his lack of link up with Messi. But it's kinda hard to link up the way Alves did when Messi is dropping into the AM position all the time.

F

FlaFCB

Trust me I have watched almost every game since the 08/09 season. I am not discounting what Alves did. I am trying to show what kind of class Roberto showed early in the season by using Alves as an example because he was so great. Yea Alves was more than just assists but so was Roberto in those games I was speaking of. Great dribbles, defending, crosses etc. I think what a lot of people are so down on Roberto for right now is his lack of link up with Messi. But it's kinda hard to link up the way Alves did when Messi is dropping into the AM position all the time.

Sorry, but I think your memory is letting you down here. Roberto has not showed anything remotely close to Alves' prime. And yes, you are underrating Alves to overrate Roberto.

What happens with Roberto is the same that happened with Bartra. He's a catalan canterano, and people are desperate to see one of those become a superstar. But the truth is they're not that good. Roberto can still play well as a midfielder, but he's clearly not a rb.

Home of Barca Fans