20 - Sergi Roberto

DinhoR10

He seemed out of it at times, and he misplaced needlessly on the counter sometimes. I saw glimpses of magic with flicks like iniesta and he seems to have a powerful shot which is a plus for our goalless midfield. He needs to work on his through balls and balls over the top to really be a starter here though.

barcanuck

He is still learning his timing, he doesn't have the full confidence yet because we see he tries to make hard passes when he can actually wait an extra second and the space will open up for the pass. I really like his work ethic, ball control and vision.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
He needs to start adding more to the team. While he is a safe passer and technically sound, he is lacking in things to offer. He's currently at .3 key passes per 90 minutes, less than anyone in our entire midfield (including Song and Busquets). He hasn't dribbled or taken shots at all either. How he has been compared to Gundogan on this forum is beyond me.

In preseason, he showed a different side to himself. He'd carry the ball forward and play attack minded passes and be a genuine transitional or counterattacking threat. Now he's being way too safe and in that respect, not very useful. He doesn't "dictate" games, and now he's lacking in potency and edge as well. Hope he steps up because simply being able to make a bunch of 5 yard passes without much purpose or dominance is not the sign of an improving player.

Trickykid

He needs to start adding more to the team. While he is a safe passer and technically sound, he is lacking in things to offer. He's currently at .3 key passes per 90 minutes, less than anyone in our entire midfield (including Song and Busquets). He hasn't dribbled or taken shots at all either. How he has been compared to Gundogan on this forum is beyond me.

In preseason, he showed a different side to himself. He'd carry the ball forward and play attack minded passes and be a genuine transitional or counterattacking threat. Now he's being way too safe and in that respect, not very useful. He doesn't "dictate" games, and now he's lacking in potency and edge as well. Hope he steps up because simply being able to make a bunch of 5 yard passes without much purpose or dominance is not the sign of an improving player.

I agree to an extent with what you're saying, and he should probably impose himself more than he is at the moment. However, I do believe he's doing mostly what the coach asks of him, and playing it safe seems like a sound way to settle in the team here early on. Back when Busi was integrated in the team, he was catching a lot of flack for being nothing but a ball mover too. Of course he played in a more defensive position, but I believe their situations aren't that different anyhow.

I'm still not sure if Sergi will ever be an important fixture in this team, but I have no doubt that he can offer more than he's showing us at the moment. And as you say yourself, the preseason showed that perfectly well.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to following him tonight.

Gohan

Super Saiyan
Making steps, maybe they are small but they are steps. You'll get there Sergi!

ps. Anyone a gif of his nutmeg pass to Pedro that he chipped over the goal?

F

Flavia

He started really nervous, maybe because it was his 1st liga game. Had an awful 1st half, until Pedro came to the rescue. Improved massively after that, good 2nd half.

Home of Barca Fans