20 - Sergi Roberto

cro-man

you honestly want cucurella to be in our team as future starter ?

will always ask myself why some people are ok with mediocrity.

I cant blame them when you are playing with players like rakitic roberto etc. since years. At some point you are getting used to mediocrity.

raedkuwait

I agree about guys like Bob and Rakitic not being Barca level starters but MATS is still an elite GK and definitely top 3 in the world. He’s up there with Oblak and Allison. The thing about Mats is he has to put up with guys like Bob and Raki and their brain farts in clutch moments. Even Alba. And we haven’t even talked about Valverde as yet. That’s when you realize it’s a lost cause.

Elite keeper!? Where are those impossible saves
In knock out games and big games that makes you
Go wow no way other goal keeper would have saved
That!! He is no way in the top 3 goal keeper
How could you even think that when he recieved
All those goals in such big games!?

Devils

Let's be real, when you look at the performances of the the likes of Allisson and Keylor Navas for Liverpool and Real in the CL over the past few years, they put on heroic performances that made them widely receive acclaim as key contributors to their team's CL winning campaigns.

MAtS hasn't put on performances anywhere near those levels for us since he was given the #1.

jairzinho

Let's be real, when you look at the performances of the the likes of Allisson and Keylor Navas for Liverpool and Real in the CL over the past few years, they put on heroic performances that made them widely receive acclaim as key contributors to their team's CL winning campaigns.

MAtS hasn't put on performances anywhere near those levels for us since he was given the #1.

That!! He is no way in the top 3 goal keeper
How could you even think that when he recieved
All those goals in such big games!?

Bro. MATS is an elite keeper. Is he undisputed best in the world? Obviously not. But the dude is certainly top 3 and in that elite bracket of the top 5 for sure. What criteria are you using to determine who is an elite GK and who is not ? CL and other big game saves?

The best for me right now would be Allisson Becker and even he conceded some really dumb goals last season and in big games. Dude had some really bad howlers against Spurs, Man Utd and even that brain fart against Leicester but in general he was clutch especially in the CL knockout rounds and Copa America. That's why i think he's #1.

But both MATS and Oblak were clutch over the course of the season too but in the CL they really couldn't do much in the end as their teams pretty much collapsed around them. But that doesn't mean these guys aren't elite IMO. If you look at the body of work they put in last season, especially MATS, no way you could sit there and tell me he isn't top 3. Who else is top 3? Navas?. Lol.

That!!

Last edited:

Devils

I wouldn't compare MAtS with Alisson or Oblak, both of whom are miles above MAtS, especially Alisson who is by far the best keeper in the world. The gap between Alisson and the rest is massive. I'd also have no problem putting Ederson and Neuer (when fit) ahead of him too.

We also have to face the fact that Keylor won 3 CL titles with Real Madrid as starting keeper and was a vital part of their 3peat winning side. That's greater than anything we've achieved with MAtS and likely ever will.

MAtS is in the same category as Lloris or Courtois. Decent keeper, but big flaws to his game.

At the end of the day, MAtS just isn't a very good shot stopper.

Last edited:

jairzinho

Miles behind those guys?

Na dawg. Can't see it. Not with what i saw from Mats last season. But i'll leave that there.

I agree he wasn't anywhere close to being clutch against Liverpool but generally the guy was pretty solid and steady the whole of last season.

Devils

Miles behind those guys?

Na dawg. Can't see it. Not with what i saw from Mats last season. But i'll leave that there.

I agree he wasn't anywhere close to being clutch against Liverpool but generally the guy was pretty solid and steady the whole of last season.

The conclusion I came to in regards to him wasn't based off of nothing.

Here is my analysis of him the CL 'humiliations' we've had over the past 3 years:

http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/13928-Jasper-Cillessen?p=2078157&viewfull=1#post2078157

Based on my analysis, I concluded that 50% of the goals that MAtS conceded would have been stopped by an elite shot stopper.

For me in the CL he's been poor-mediocre over the past 3 years. Certainly not elite and nowhere near the world's best.

Let's also not pretend like his form in Liga and CDR invalidate these performances. Suarez scores a bunch in Liga and CDR but is absolute trash in the CL and that disqualifies him from being considered one of the best strikers in the word. MAtS must be judged in the same standard.

EdmondDantes

Valverde: “The idea is to play Sergio Roberto in the midfield this season, and use Semedo & Wague as Right-backs.”

[tw]1153655609134211075?s=21[/tw]

Pretty much confirmed what MD reported a few weeks back.

I don't see how that's feasible, especially with Rakitic still here.

-

Glad for Wague & Semedo though.

Home of Barca Fans